Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Leaders for salmon  (Read 5695 times)

marshal

• Hook Chucker
Leaders for salmon
« on: January 31, 2005, 03:06:26 PM »

Hi,
I'm new to river fly fishing.
I have an 8 wt and a muti tip floating line setup.

My 2 questions: 
(1) what methods do all of you use to attach your leaders to the flyline (ie. loops, etc.)?

(2) what type of leader do you use...
     - with sinking line (sinking leader, poly, braided, tapered)?
     - with floating line?

Thx in advance  :)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Leaders for salmon
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2005, 03:17:44 PM »

(1) Loop to Loop

(2) Not sure what you're asking

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2005, 04:03:59 PM »

I usually nail knot a 18" section of 40lb to the fly line with a small loop on the other end. From then on, you can attach your tippet/ taper leader by using the loop to loop method.

For the most part, when fishing heavy sinking line, Type 5 on, i just use 8-10lb stright tippet in about 3 foot  length. Cause you want to get the fly down quick with the weight of the fly line.

As for the poly leader, i hardly use them unless i want to fish just below the surface with a floating line (grease line) then i will put on a piece of poly leader to sink the fly down a bit.

marshal

• Hook Chucker
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2005, 10:32:28 AM »

SK, thx for your info.

Is there an advantage to your method of nail knotting 18" of 40lb. test vs. attaching a braided (or other?) loop direct to the line?

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2005, 03:54:14 PM »

I do believe the 40lb butt section do help turn over some bigger flies better.. Plus, i don;t trust those bradied loops at all. 

marshal

• Hook Chucker
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2005, 12:56:06 PM »

I usually nail knot a 18" section of 40lb to the fly line with a small loop on the other end. From then on, you can attach your tippet/ taper leader by using the loop to loop method.

For the most part, when fishing heavy sinking line, Type 5 on, i just use 8-10lb straight tippet in about 3 foot  length. Cause you want to get the fly down quick with the weight of the fly line.

SK,
Just to clarify, do you mean that when you are using a heavy sinking line that you tie the 8 - 10 lb. tippet directly to the fly line (forgoing the 18" of 40 lb. test)?  If so, why is that?

Thx in advance. :)

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2005, 02:40:59 PM »

The 40Lb butt section will always there, Its up to you to attach a tapper leader or not. But As for myself, when i fish with heavy tips, i want to get the fly down to the "zone." With my personal experiences acttach a short piece tippet from the butt section down is good enough.