Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Catch and release nets  (Read 6993 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Catch and release nets
« on: January 22, 2005, 08:17:28 PM »

This time of the year when fishing for bull trout and cutthroat I tend to carry a catch and release net with me for easy handling of the fish. The net I have is a bit small when fishing for bull trout. It nets fish up to 18 inches very comfortably, but beyond that it is usually a wet-hand release. So... Can someone please provide names of some net makers (local, online stores...) who produce catch and release nets with a larger diameter, and a wooden handle between 1 to 2 feet long? :)

Secondly, for easy mobility, how do you carry your catch and release net when river fishing if you use one?

Bug pumper mentioned using a catch and release net for coho last month, does anyone actually use it for steelhead as well?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2005, 08:26:33 PM by Rodney »

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
Re: Catch and release nets
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2005, 09:25:46 AM »

Just saw Mark P use one on his show, said it was mase by Bill Rushton out of Prince George, nice big net for salmon c&r.I bought a small one last year and it comes in very handy for many species, handling and release clean quick and simple.

itosh

• I EAT llamas!
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2005, 04:00:00 PM »

... It nets fish up to 18 inches very comfortably, but beyond that it is usually a wet-hand release....

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't your net already too big for the little fishies that you sometimes catch?  Carrying around a bigger net doesn't mean that you will catch bigger fish or eliminate the usual skunking.... lol ;D ;D

Shane

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2005, 05:53:57 PM »

I use the same net for coho and steelhead Rodney, it really helps when you're on your own. I keep mine in the big wrap around pouch of my vest in the back part.
Fish on!

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2005, 06:30:45 PM »

Rod you're talking about a $pecialty item. :o
The large diameter and shorter handle mean you'll have to have someone hand craft one for you-maybe a place like http://www.myflyshop.com on Broadway has something like that but you'll pay a premium.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2005, 07:21:04 PM »

... It nets fish up to 18 inches very comfortably, but beyond that it is usually a wet-hand release....

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't your net already too big for the little fishies that you sometimes catch?  Carrying around a bigger net doesn't mean that you will catch bigger fish or eliminate the usual skunking.... lol ;D ;D

Shane

Ouch ! :D ;D ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2005, 07:25:39 PM »

Thanks Sam, that's what I thought. I saw one at a shop in Denmark but obviously it was too complicated to carry home. I'll keep looking. :)

Shane

Ouch ! :D ;D ;D

Ya ya, what if I bumped into one of these again next month? ;)

itosh

• I EAT llamas!
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2005, 07:50:15 PM »

Ya, nice pic but don't forget I was there to take it for you.  If I recall, the fish was kinda small so we decided to make the fish look better by getting you to extend your arms....  ;D ;D

Shane

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2005, 07:52:37 PM »

Thanks Shane. The truth finally emerges  :D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2005, 07:52:55 PM »

Quit spreading rumours, those arms ain't extended, I just have unusually big hands for a small Chinese guy.... :)

That photo would have been much better if Chrome Mykiss didn't dangle the Drennan float around my face. ::)

rln

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2005, 07:30:12 AM »

If you like wooden nets, the Danielson company makes some cnr trout nets with different lenght handles and Gibbs makes a few different metal trout and salmon nets with a cnr bag on them. Any tackle store in BC can get any of these nets and local tackle distributors do have them in stock. Rod , I think you live in richmond so a store like Berry's or Nikka can get them in if they do not already have them in stock.

Chrome Mykiss

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2005, 05:08:04 PM »

Just trying to help you land a promotional deal with Drennan  ;) 

Dale9

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2005, 01:17:18 PM »

My dad just bought one with a long handle.  Either got it from Orvis or LL Bean, I think.  Kman.com also sells them, I think.  They aren't cheap if you get wood handles, but are worth it to help the fishery long-term.  Wooden ones also FLOAT, so you don't have to hold the net while you wrestle with carefully unhooking a fish that's flopping around.)

As always, Rod is a good conservationist.....I could see being chairman of a large fishing conservation group in Rod's very bright future.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2005, 08:21:21 PM »

Thanks for the replies folks. :) I'll keep looking...