Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Interchangeable Tip System  (Read 4519 times)

Centerpin

• To Fish Or Not To Fish Such A Stupid Question
Interchangeable Tip System
« on: January 21, 2005, 11:13:56 PM »

I am changing over to a tip system from the multiple spool system that I use now. So I was wondering what type and lengths of tips do you prefer to use for fishing for salmon and steelhead.

I am having my 8 weight dry line cut back and a loop installed to accomodate the tips, and I will probably start with a 15 foot type 3 and a 15 foot type 6 both in 8 weight and I will have a loop put on the section of dry that is cut off as well . But I would appreciate any and all advice as to the best tip selections.

Thanks Centerpin 8)
No Nookie Like Chinookie

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
Re: Interchangeable Tip System
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2005, 12:26:36 AM »

If you going to do winter/ spring steelheading with a swing fly locally,  just stick with 15' of type 6.. keep the leader short like 3-4 feet, so the fly will stay down.. If you going for coho stick with a clear line..

Tailwalker

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2005, 06:49:49 AM »

If you need to get down in fast , and/or deep water , get yourself some T14 from Rio . It sinks just a little faster than leadcore , but behaves just like any other flyline , that is , it won`t kink like leadcore . It is sold by the foot so that you can make up any head length you want .. Depending on where you`ll be using it , it might be an idea to start with a 30 ft length  , and cut it up to make one head 18ft long , and the other 12ft long .

Cheers   Brian
Study to be quiet

Rowdy

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2005, 12:41:16 AM »

I use thr Rio versi tip system.  The tips you are making seem to be the same length and weight that I have.  They all seem to work ok.  I like a type 3 tip as well.  I very rarely find the need to use the type 8....but its nice to have.