Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Did I get a Decent Rod for Xmas?  (Read 6893 times)

aquaboy24

• Old Timer
  • Nuclear Fishin'
Did I get a Decent Rod for Xmas?
« on: January 12, 2005, 04:15:35 PM »

I have been dying to ask....under the XMAS tree this year was a very long package.....when opened, it turned out to be a Fenwick HMX 10'6"

It seems awfully long (no jokes please), but looks like a nice rod for my newly aquired Abu 6500d

Can anyone tell me if its a keeper, or should I exchange it?

thanks
Vince
You don't make friends with salad.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Did I get a Decent Rod for Xmas?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2005, 04:17:52 PM »

I would say keep it, it would go well with the 6500. The length is just perfect for rivers. The brand and model is not the best, but it is definitely above entry level. I think you will be very satisfied once you start using it. What pound rating is it? Luke has one and he was using it all season for coho, chum and chinook, and he loved it. :)

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005, 04:59:37 PM »

I'd keep it, they're built on quality blanks, and I personally really like using mine.
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

aquaboy24

• Old Timer
  • Nuclear Fishin'
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2005, 07:52:06 PM »

This from the guy who hastles me for the yellow rain coat....geez Fulc..is there any pleasing you?

The_Roe_Man

• I like ROE!
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2005, 08:11:47 PM »

i have the same rod on my 6500c3 and very pleased.  They also have 5 year warranty.  This rod has been used for stealhead, coho, springs, chum, and sockeye on the fraser.  It is a good all around river rod.
I like ROE

canoe man

• Old Timer
  • and awaaaaaaaay we go!
    • brandywine marine
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2005, 08:18:14 PM »

vince ask yourself this first

would the obviously thaughtfull person who probably spent months wondering what the heck to get you
would he or she NOTICE that you exchanged it  ;)

just like that vest i got this year am i going to exchange it "no way"  :o :o :o
suicide my friend suicide  ;)
cnm
president of the HANEY HOOKERS SOCIETY

aquaboy24

• Old Timer
  • Nuclear Fishin'
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2005, 08:19:34 PM »

in this case Canoe man...I could go out and exchange it for something totally different, and whittle myself a rod, and no one would notice....I am definately the ONLY one around here who likes fishing

norm_2

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2005, 09:39:22 PM »

Vince: when I was in your position, a well known guide told me to ask myself, how much fishing are you going to do.  If the answer is lots, he said buy the a good one.  Actually the topic, What river rod to buy, in the general discussion is excellent.  A lot of us do not have a chance to try out different rods, so I would suggest paying attention to those who comment on the different rods they own and which one they perfer.  Good Luck.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2005, 09:50:08 PM »

The convergance seems to be a pretty popular rod with many users here...I would take the Feni any day over a convergance.  The HMX is a great series.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2005, 09:59:23 PM »

Mark Pendlington uses it on his show but that is hardly an endorsement. :)

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2005, 11:29:55 PM »

I haven't used a Fenwick for river fishing but have used them in the salt.
A tad heavy in the tip but that's should mean it's that much harder to break.
Once you get to know the rod you'll find it a tremendous step up from the old coffee grinder.
Of course keep it-barring mishaps it should last for years and years.

MERC

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2005, 12:45:15 AM »

I've got a Fenwick HMXT 110.  Nice rod.  Sensitive enough at the tip for light takes, enough backbone for springs. Had a 9' Fenwick Legacy rod years ago that landed many springs and heavy dogs in the Stave and Vedder.  The rod snapped one day while landing a medium sized chum at Nicomen one day.  But, on the other hand I had that rod for about 5 or 6 years by then.  My next rod is more likely to be a G Loomis or Sage or a Stryker.  I'm leaning more towards the custom built rod so that I can have something suited more to me than "off the rack".
President Club S. C. & P.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2005, 09:06:53 AM »

After using my 10'6" HMX for about 5-years for everything in the Vedder to BB'ing the Fraser I gave up on it and traded it. I found the rod was too slow or soft for my liking. The rod would bend too much - all the way down to the handle almost. With a hot Fraser spring on it would seem like it would bend so much that the rod would lock up or become difficult to reel. This condition didn't happen with my lighter Lamiglass or my friend's cheaper Convergence or even his Diawa Heartland. I ended up trading my HMX for both a Convergence and a Heartland of different line weights and I'm happy with both of those rods. Two years ago I bought a 10'6" HMX spinning rod for chucking Coho spoons and for visitor BB'ers but I'm finding the same soft action on that rod as well. This year a crazy Chum broke that rod for my and it was replaced with a new one but it too has that same feel. I just personally don't like it and I'm going to sell or trade my HMX spinning rod for something else.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2005, 12:57:23 PM »

What's the line weight recommendation on your HMX Vince? The blanks of this particular series are pretty slow, but just the way I like it. :) A bit too slow for springs in my opinion, but if you are after coho, chum and pink, you will have a lot of fun with this affordable rod. I still have two 9 feet HMX that I occasionally take out and use.

What river rod to buy thread is also a good read.

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2005, 03:46:01 PM »

The HMX I have also has a slow action, but I think that may be why I like it so much for mooching. I can't speak for the casting and river models, but for what I use it for, it's my favourite rod (this is to say that I have not used a sage or loomis, so my mind may change if I used one of those).

I like the fact that it bends all the way down to the cork, I find it nice to lever springs (and even halis...) off of a deep run and into the boat. It took 3 fish over 40 lbs this summer (and maybe lost a few other, and maybe bigger ones...), 2 of which were taken with the rod on loan to buddies. Both buddies really liked the rod.
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote