Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squamish Nov 11th - rememberance  (Read 2566 times)

aquaboy24

• Old Timer
  • Nuclear Fishin'
Squamish Nov 11th - rememberance
« on: November 11, 2004, 10:15:59 PM »

Hit the Squish after the ceremony in West Van this afternoon. Fished early on the Cheakeye. Then drove down to "the spit" and watched across the mouth as the new fish moved in. Then drove up to the gong show, and found a good spot.

As my mind wandered, and I caught and released several darker chum...all caught on the bite on a blade....I remembered 2 years ago...my first attempt at catching anything in my return to fishing....fishing the same spot...with some advise I had read on THIS website. I remember snagging, and wondering what to do...I remember feeling hopelessly unprepared.

As I soaked it all in, and caught chum after chum on spinners and peach wool....all nice hook sets....I just have to say thanks to all the guys that have made me really feel like I have come a long way. As I watched my rod tip do its little dance....as I played the fish out feeling like I knew what I was doing....as I set my float at a good level, and how time after time I managed to feel the difference between the fish actually snapping at my offering vs running it over their back, I though of all the advise I have gotten of this site, and all the good folk that are hear....

it was an awesome day....everyone was happy, because they were catching fish....and everyone in my little strip was resleasing snagged fish. It gave me hope.

So thanks guys...its been 2 years exactly since I started fishing the Squamish...and today I really felt like I was at the top of my game.

Why the long ramble.....2 chrome chum caught at 4:00 and 4:25 off the incoming high tide (sea lice included), 1 bull trout caught up higher on the Mamquam (released), and 1 wild coho (released), caught across the river in a little inlet on the Cheakeye to show for my day.

I will post a pic or two when I down load them.

cheers dudes

Vince
« Last Edit: November 12, 2004, 10:10:22 AM by aquaboy24 »
You don't make friends with salad.

aquaboy24

• Old Timer
  • Nuclear Fishin'
Re: Squamish Nov 11th - rememberance
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2004, 07:55:50 AM »

I lurked for 6 months...reading....but then I realized I had to ask questions

aquaboy24

• Old Timer
  • Nuclear Fishin'
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2004, 02:12:13 PM »

some things will never change

but if it makes you happy, I am now sporting a grey North Face

Shane

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2004, 04:54:14 PM »

Hit the Squish after the ceremony in West Van this afternoon. Fished early on the Cheakeye.

Dude, The Cheekye is a trib that is closed to fishing.  Did you mean Cheakamus?

Shane

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2004, 04:56:34 PM »

Whoops :-[  I didn't want my question in your quote...  In any case, as above, the Cheekye is a trib closed to fishing.  Did you mean Cheakamus?

aquaboy24

• Old Timer
  • Nuclear Fishin'
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2004, 12:12:03 AM »

hmmm...isn't the Cheekeye that place where the chum pit is that everyone fishes by the Moondog cafe? Whatever that stretch of water is...thats where I started...no up that area, about a 15 minute walk, there is a little creek that flows into the main channel...lots of coho there.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2004, 12:18:05 AM »

That's the Cheakamus River. :) The little creek that runs into the Cheak would be Cheekeye.

Shane

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2004, 05:59:59 PM »

Rodney is correct, of course.  Aqua, I figured that was the case.  It's misleading because what I'll call the south side of the bridge it has one of those salmon habitat signs that says Cheekye even though you are crossing the Cheakamus. ;D

aquaboy24

• Old Timer
  • Nuclear Fishin'
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2004, 07:58:45 PM »

I thought I recalled a sign there! Glad I am not going crazy just yet.....give me a few weeks of tying roe bags, and I might be however!

Shane

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2004, 09:44:42 PM »

I've heard of that pool referrred to as "Fergie's Pool".  Don't go crazy, dude!