Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Petition and Fraser beach seine  (Read 3785 times)

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
Petition and Fraser beach seine
« on: November 11, 2004, 07:51:10 PM »

Couple of quick things.

Ive seen quite a few natives at Island 22 beach seining straight across from the boat launch for the last week.  Whats with that? I was not aware they had any openings.  Im sure they can be selective with this method, but then last year I saw video footage of a coho grabbed out of the purse and chucked into the tote... >:( >:( >:(
Anyone heard anything on this?

I also phoned in a net two weeks ago.  An unsteady looking guy was checking it.  Half the reason I phoned was because the thing barely had any floats on it and looked like a 'sunk' net designed to hide from prying eyes.  Anyway, the operator wasnt very professional. Assured me they must have an opening but would let the enforcement guys know.  Didnt ask my name or call back number or anything...was in a hurry to get off the phone it seemed.  >:(

Also, did anyone get a petition asking for an inquiry into this year's sad sockeye returns?  If so, are we getting em signed and sent in?

I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
Re: Petition and Fraser beach seine
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2004, 09:32:50 PM »

you know 2:40 gordie...this is topic is just fruitless. the only way anything will change for our sport fishery is a change in government. the progressive conservatives will hardline the dfo concerning the fraser river sockeye fishery. they will hire more enforcement and control the commercial fishery native and nonnative. Why you ask the progressive conservatives.???because the new fisheries minister will be John Cummins.....an advocate of the sport fishery and a huge pain in the my friend to the natives and overfishing. i've met john and i hope we elect these guys in nthe next election. trust me fellow anglers i feel your pain and fustration regarding this issue.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2004, 10:08:36 PM »

Being a critic and an actual Minister is two entirely different things. It's easy being a critic; you're not accountable to anyone.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2004, 07:23:43 AM »

Everyone talks tough, when it's not THEIR feet to the fire.  It's not like the Native fishing issue has JUST come up with this Liberal Government. :(

Nostro

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2004, 08:41:25 AM »

Being informed is beter than being frustrated,  ??? 2:40 Gordie. This is history, but may explain your sightings:

Category(s):  ABORIGINAL - Salmon: Economic Opportunities
Subject:  FN0970-Salmon: Aboriginal Interim Economic (Beach Seine) Fishing Opportunity - Area 29 - Lower Fraser Area
Area 29
Beach seines open 08:00-16:30 hours daily on November 8 and November 9, 2004.
Only individuals designated by the Chawathil, Cheam, Chehalis, Peters, Scowlitz, Seabird Island, Shxw'ow'hamel, Skwah, Skway, Soowahlie, Squiala, Sumas, Tzeachten and the Yakweakwioose Indian Bands are authorized to participate in this fishery. 
All aspects of the licence will be enforced.
This fishery is targeting 4,000 chum, with a by-catch of chinook salmon. Chum salmon and chinook salmon may be sold.  All non target species are to be released to the water unharmed.
For more information call Brian Matts, Resource Manager Lower Fraser at (604) 666-2096. 
Fisheries & Oceans Operations Center - FN0970
Sent November 5, 2004 at 1308

Never look a fish in the eye.

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2004, 09:20:15 PM »

That should say, "Chinook and Chum salmon WILL be sold".

Thanks for the info Nostro.  I was sure they were 'allowed' to do so, but my worry was how many coho and thompson steelhead were getting caught.  Ive seen video footage of a 7 or 8 lb coho going into the tote. ALso, this fishery has been going on longer then the 8th and 9th unless a extention was posted for this fishery and I did not see one for earlier.

Of course Im concerned about anyone, sport fishing or native, retaining these fish, but it stands to reason to be concerned about a method that is more effective then rod and line.

Pecan Sam, Im ready for a change!! Been wanting one for years.

Nice Martin is bringing all that money here for schools and stuff.  Dont get me wrong, its nice.  Where is a few bucks for the fish?

Anyone circulating Cummins' petition?
I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?