Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: SALMON POACHING  (Read 4761 times)

Terry Bodman

• Old Timer
  • A poorly tied fly is better than no fly at all!
SALMON POACHING
« on: October 24, 2004, 10:31:35 AM »

Finally a point of view I concur with. I admit I am less than objective but the editorial by Tom Fletcher, editor of the Maple Ridge News, reacting to poor return of salmon numbers, is worth repeating here.

For purposes of discussion I quote Fletcher: He writes, " Every time this is brought up, one of B.C.'s  professional Indians rushes to the media to deny it. Yet the specific, detailed reports of violations continue to come in, mainly from sport fishrmen who dutifully pay for licences and salmon tags every year and obey increasingly stringent rules, only to witness blatant poaching."

The above, in my opinion, says it all.
"One man of courage makes a majority"

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: SALMON POACHING
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2004, 11:46:06 AM »

the_pict

• glenmorangie- fishing -triumph motorcycles
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2004, 12:16:52 PM »

thanx for posting that  rod . best article ive read yet

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2004, 08:19:14 AM »

" Every time this is brought up, one of B.C.'s  professional Indians rushes to the media to deny it.

To paraphrase Ernie Cray,  "It wasn't us". ::) :-X

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2004, 08:51:39 AM »

Ernie Cray, we don't believe what you say! ::) It get's so
tiring and redundant listening to those so called "Spiritual Leaders" attempting to fill us full of so much, ahem, double-talk. We all know what went on this
last sockeye season and most of us really do care about
our fishing resources and make attempts to help them. But what I saw during this last season, and previous ones shows me that the Honourable ;D Mr. Ernie Say It Was'nt Me has absolutely no regard for this fabulous resource that Ernie and his merry band of henchmen continue to rape. Believe me when I say that there will come a day in the not to distant future that when we look to the waters there won't be any more jumping sockeye nor very few fish at all. I can't say it's all totally the fault of Ernie and friends as the DFO have been making some incredible decisions these past few years and then we have the sport fisher's and the commercial boats and it all adds up. But Come On. you'd have to be living under a rock not to realize that Say It Was'nt Me, and his Merry band of hooligans with thier illegal netting practices were'nt the biggest plunderer's of the Fraser River salmon resources that wev'e Ever witnessed. Just my two cents worth. Hey Ernie, wanna borrow a shovel.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2004, 10:00:05 AM »

quick question;

what percentage of salmon do the commercial guys catch vs. the native guys?

is it 50-50, 90-10...?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2004, 10:32:48 AM »

I'm in total concurrment with Athezone

Will_CARP

• I love fishing!
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2004, 12:08:22 PM »

I am always approached by natives wanting to sell me fish.  I've seen some natives cleaning their catch, keeping the roe, and throwing the fish away!  They kept the roe to sell, as it would fetch far more than the actual fish :( >:(
 Still, there are some that do ethically fish; too bad they've been given a bad name by some that don't.

gman

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2004, 12:29:23 PM »

quick question;

what percentage of salmon do the commercial guys catch vs. the native guys?

is it 50-50, 90-10...?

For the 2004 sockeye season, DFO numbers as follows.  I assume that only the legal catch is included.  The link I had before was http://www.psc.org/FraserPnl/Status/Sockeye%20Review.pdf but doesn't work now. COUldn;t find a current one.

The total harvest of Fraser river sockeye, not just in the Fraser, but up and down the coast says:
1,326,400 Canadian commercial
190,900 US commercial
587,000 Canadian aboriginal
52,200 recreational
73,700 test fisheries
« Last Edit: October 25, 2004, 12:38:06 PM by gman »

rerigger

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2004, 05:27:59 AM »

good stats gman to bad they left out about1.5 million unreported fish

Nostro

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2004, 09:50:20 AM »

Good stats Gman.
In other words, to include the recreational catch of 2.3% of the total in the impact assessment is grossly erroneous and missleading. Any statistician will tell you that a 2.3% variance in either direction in any statistical analysis is not relevant.
For those who are interested in stats, here are a couple more links to First Nations 2004 harvest report for lower, upper and mid-Fraser River:

Lower Fraser: http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fraserriver/firstnations/FirstNationsFisheryReport.pdf

Upper and Mid-Fraser: http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fraserriver/firstnations/FirstNationsFisheryReport.pdf
« Last Edit: October 26, 2004, 10:46:01 AM by Nostro »
Never look a fish in the eye.