Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Test Fishery  (Read 2890 times)

Robbie

Test Fishery
« on: October 21, 2004, 03:38:54 PM »

What happens to all the fish int he Albion Test Fishery?  Are they released unharmed or do they go to market?  As well what is a non saleable fish?
  Thanks

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Test Fishery
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2004, 03:40:42 PM »

No point to releasing dead fish ! They are sold

Robbie

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2004, 03:42:47 PM »

so the gillnet kills them.  Didnt know that.  Doesnt it seem a little wasteful to kill these fish just to get an understanding of the count?  And its not just a few fish either.  What about the endangered Sockeye, Steelhead and Coho stocks?

reach

• Yard work can wait.
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2004, 04:04:33 PM »

FA, do you know that for a fact?  In other gillnet test fisheries, I've seen them use short nets and watch for corks bobbing.  As soon as they see something they go check that spot and release it alive if it's a non-target species.

I'm not saying that's the way they do it at Albion, though I think it should be.  I'm just suggesting it's possible that they don't kill all of them.  I don't know - I haven't seen it first hand.  They probably do keep target species (sockeye & chums) as that's usually how the test fishermen get paid.

If you have been on the dock and seen them deliver steelhead & coho, then I will believe you.  But if you have just seen a net with some fish in it from afar, then I think you may be jumping to conclusions.