Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder Oct 21  (Read 2990 times)

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
Vedder Oct 21
« on: October 21, 2004, 11:16:48 AM »

Met CG for breakfast before heading up.
Bit late on my prediction as we didnt hit the river until 0715.
Checked out the wade...bit much for a married guy with kids who didnt find the felts to put on his boots.
Fished the other side and promptly missed a fish much to the disbelief of my 'guide'.  For the record, the float was only down for about 5 seconds while I tried to pick up the slack in a clumsy manner.
Missed two more and finally released a 6lb wild one. Funny thing is is that there was a small piece of leaf on my hook with the roe when I got this fish. Good old Maple Leaf is all I can say.  ;)
Barbed one on a spoon and that was my day as I had commitments to get to.
CG is still on the river and a detailed report will come later.
Thanks for the good guiding, breakfast and nice bait and getting my confidence back.   ;D
I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Vedder Oct 21
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2004, 05:47:16 PM »

Every trip is an enjoyable one and it is great to have so many good fishing partners especially the one today. ;D

Over 20 years ago it was so good to be with you when you caught your first fish ever, on the Fraser River. ;D ;D

After dropping Gordie 2:40 off it was a 25 minute drive back to the hot spot, M.Pool.

On getting back to the parking lot found three First Nation fellows broke down, out of fuel and a dead battery.

Could not leave them stranded so took one of them back to Vedder for fuel, we had a good visit talking fishing issues and we both had a common ground for we both agreeded the fish have to come first.

After getting their truck going that included a jump start I was ready to fish, after nearly 2 hours of leaving the area with Gordie at 9 am and 2 trips to town and back.

Maybe my good deed would pay off.

With my trusty wading staff in hand I carefully picked my way across to the fishing area. Even after the heavy rain, nearly an inch overnight the river had not risen too much from when Nick and I fished on Tuesday. As well it was in perfect shape. I believe the recent low snow level has helped the river from going out.

The bite was on right away and I landed 3 wilds in a row, and then the action slowed down with the odd miss and a few losses before the next fish which I landed, a 8 pound hatchery doe, fish number one in the bag. ;D

I then foul hooked a jack spring and then the bite was really on and the next 3 fish I hit and landed were all hatchery CO's from 4 to 6 pounds, 2 bucks and a doe that I landed in a space of 10 minutes.

I was a bit concerned about the wade back now with 20 to  25 extra pounds.

As I got ready to cross and I looked behind me and here was a bobcat following the scent of the fish I was dragging. ???

I shouted at him when he was about 200 feet away and he slowly turned around and left me to my task of crossing the river.

I decided to make 2 trips to be on the safe side and tied 2 fish on the rope I carry, tied it to my belt and the crossing went well.

With the fish in the water as you wade they do not create that much drag.

Did not like to however like having to do it over again with the other 2 fish but by taking my time it too went ok.

Good to see there is a good number of Co's finally around and hope it does not rain too hard tonight as there is some good fishing ahead yet. ;D ;D
« Last Edit: October 23, 2004, 09:12:18 AM by chris gadsden »

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2004, 05:51:48 PM »

Well done.  :)

Thanks for not taking me to school in the morning and letting me get into a couple.

Sounds like I need to track down those felts so I can glue them on my boots.  I have reason to dig through the basement now.

funruh

• feeeesh
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2004, 06:34:48 PM »

wish CG would take me fishing.
good work by the way
bobcat?  cool! :D

Terry Bodman

• Old Timer
  • A poorly tied fly is better than no fly at all!
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2004, 06:37:48 PM »

Hey 2:40 Gordie. I suggest you get a new guide. I tried the same one a couple of times.....no luck at all.  ;D
"One man of courage makes a majority"

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2004, 06:38:33 PM »

As I got ready to cross and I looked behind me and here was a bobcat following the sent of the fish I was dragging. ???

I shouted at him when he was about 200 feet away and he slowly turned around and left me to my task of crossing the river.

Hmm, maybe it's not the scent of the dead fish... ;)

Nice going CG, good to see you're finally rolling. :)

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2004, 06:45:36 PM »

Terry, you must have forgot to wear your Leaf hat those times or something.  ;D

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2004, 08:07:24 AM »

Nice Report CG, aspirations of RH Brown :)