Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fly Line Conditioner  (Read 5995 times)

mooha

• I'm a llama!
Fly Line Conditioner
« on: October 19, 2004, 06:13:15 PM »

Would like your collective advice on line cleaner/conditioner??

How often?
Wipe on/Wipe off or, leave for a while or, ?
All lines? Are 'slime' lines safe?

Thanks!!

reach

• Yard work can wait.
Re: Fly Line Conditioner
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2004, 11:43:14 PM »

I'm looking forward to having a few years experience so I can post useful replies to questions like this.

In my vast experience so far (a few months) I've found the Scientific Anglers dressing works great, applied several times a day by wiping on and using the line immediately.  I'm not that impressed with the Loon Line Speed I tried.  I followed the directions to apply it, let it sit for 5 minutes, then buff.  But the SA stuff seemed to make the line much more slippery.  Those are the only products I've tried.

TtotheE

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2004, 12:12:23 AM »

I have the SA line dressing as well.  You can use it dry or wet.  Wipe off excess.  If you feel your line isn't running through the guides as well as it was new,  then you probably need a clean.  Line manufacturers will recommend that you clean and dry your line after each use.  Also,  when not using your line for a prolonged period of time to wrap it loosely.  Keeping the plastic spool which came with your fly line is a good idea.  Wrap your line back on it when you're not fishing for awhile.

mooha

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2004, 12:42:00 PM »

Thanks guys. :)

dboy

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2004, 01:13:42 PM »

I recently cleaned my rio multi-tip after 2 years of neglect. I could not believe the difference. WAY slicker, can shoot it out much better now.
I forget the brand but it came as a single moistened pad of cotton, just pull the line trough it and you're good to go.  Anyway, highly recommend cleaning your lines especially to those who are like me and tend to forget to do these things for awhile