Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Another Sage...  (Read 6542 times)

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
Another Sage...
« on: October 19, 2004, 04:52:36 PM »

Hey guys,
I recently got a sage for my birthday, (not a new one) it is a fairly old one, and I wanted to have it rebuilt. I was just wondering if anyone could give me an idea as to how much a rod like this would be worth nowadays ? I AM NOT TRYING TO SELL IT. I'm having new eyes put on it and will hopefully be adjusting the cork on it and have it ready to fish in the salt as well as fresh. If you cannot read what's written on the rod, it's "GRAPHITE II B968GFLRP."

Any additional input ?

« Last Edit: October 19, 2004, 06:22:45 PM by Spudcote »
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
Re: Another Sage...
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2004, 04:55:23 PM »

For some reason, the bottom photo will not resize...and the second last photo is too small, my mistake
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

Spudcote

minnie-me

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2004, 07:54:00 PM »

It is one of the first Sage rods produced, they went RP, RPL, RPL+ and then VPS I believe. I picked one up similar to yours for about $120.00. I would consider that to be a decent price point. Softer action than the newer versions I think. Still a nice rod that started it all for Sage.
Unless the guides are all screwy, I would leave it as is for warranty issues. Sage says they only warranties original owners however I have never bought a new Sage and have warrantied many.
Just my 2 cents worth.
P.S. lettering means it is a 9' 6" 8wt., but you probably already knew that. :)
I would also be careful fishing it in salt, generally you wouldn't fish a rod with a wood insert in salt. ;)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2004, 07:56:46 PM by sgt.slaughter »

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2004, 03:48:30 PM »

hey Sarge,
Thanks for the input, it's not the entire rod that's covered by a warrenty, it's ust the blanck, so that's why I reckoned it would be legit to modify it.

As for the wood reel-seat, I was hoping to put a new seat in so that it could accomodate salt-water usage. As you can see for the picture, it presently doesn't have a fighting butt on it, and I was hoping to add one. I was hoping to replace the eyes (which are similar to those on my level-wind rod, and I wanted to put snake-guides on it to reduce weight...or whatever those specific eyes do...hehe
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

Spudcote

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2004, 10:57:05 AM »

Spudcote, If you want to change the reel seat and the last stripping guide, might as well strip downt eh whole thing ( the bottom half) and re do it all. so that you can fit everything better. Its really easy to do, but it sure takes some time to strip down everything. Or you can just give to any rod builder and asked them to do it for you. Try to call up Rick Kenndy, I think he build rods for QCL.. Try to ask your manger, you might able to get a good deal out of it.   goodluck fishing

Marco

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2004, 04:07:54 PM »

Hey Marco, Jin has agreed to do it for me. It's not only the first guide that I wanted to change, all of the guides are a little to my disliking, and make the whole rig heavier.

Thanks for the input though
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

Spudcote