Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Nina's Pike Minnow  (Read 8118 times)

keithr

• If you want to know about me, see my website.
    • Our place in Mexico
Nina's Pike Minnow
« on: October 19, 2004, 01:00:14 PM »

That squaw fish she's holding up in the FWR main page.  I keep wondering what she did with it after they snapped the photo.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Nina's Pike Minnow
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2004, 01:01:58 PM »

Went into her tummy of course.... ;)

keithr

• Our place in Mexico
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2004, 01:17:23 PM »

She didn't find it kind of boney?  The people eat them where I live in Mexico (the local name is sardina) even though they are usually full of parasites (little knots in the flesh).  I've eaten them a few time when invited to someone's house to eat, but I'd rate them as the worst fish I've eaten:  boney, tasteless, soft white flesh.  In the lower reaches of the Columbia they pay fishermen to catch and destroy them.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2004, 01:20:36 PM »

I was just kidding, we released that one of course. ;D But, my family and I have eaten them before. The texture of the white flesh is not bad, but yes the bones kind of ruin the enjoyment of that. I know a couple of forum members actually prefer to eat a PM than a salmon.... :)

leaping steely

• Old Timer
  • Who goes fishing anymore?
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2004, 06:10:04 PM »

i don't find them that bad, but yes i agree too many bones. and it has to be a good sized squaw...

Nina

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2004, 05:41:55 AM »

Went into her tummy of course.... ;)

I am extremely picky when it comes to eating fish, dont like bones or skin for that matter or weird fishy taste......... ::)  ;D

They are fun to catch, I remember we caught many that year, although I've been trying to convince Rodney to change that picture, it is so old........ ::) :-X

I rather wanna pose with one of my salmon  ;D  ;D  ::)

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2004, 02:28:25 PM »

What Salmon Nina?? He broke off your red spring right at the beach...  ;) ;)   Right, Rodney?? ;D ;D

Nina

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2004, 11:20:49 PM »

Thats right, he did!!  :o  >:(  ::)

Thats why he always catches more fish than everyone else, he sabotages the equipment!  ;D  ;)

Then again, I don't think I would see even a shadow of a fish if I didn't go fishing with him  ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2004, 12:02:12 PM »

Thats right, he did!!  :o  >:(  ::)

Thats why he always catches more fish than everyone else, he sabotages the equipment!  ;D  ;)

Then again, I don't think I would see even a shadow of a fish if I didn't go fishing with him  ;D

You guide someone to a fish, and you still get a complain, geez... ::) Who baits your hook again? ;) Not my fault that fish decided to swim between my legs... and you could have let the line go out really fast to give me enough time to jump out of the way. :)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2004, 12:11:23 PM by Rodney »

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2004, 03:32:34 PM »

Guide's Error!!!!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2004, 06:39:23 PM »

Tip? :o

OR, maybe a new client.... ;)

Nina

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2004, 11:29:43 PM »

Tip? :o

OR, maybe a new client.... ;)

Yeah, you go get yourself a new "client", thats fine by me....... ::)  ;D  ;)

There are plenty of other "guides" out there who would love to take me fishing....... ;D  ;D  :-*

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2004, 07:24:52 AM »

Ouch - Burned!   :o

It's the couch for Rod  ;D

keithr

• Our place in Mexico
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2004, 08:59:08 AM »

Little did I suspect that a question about the destination of a squaw fish would lead to domestic discord.  Who watches the watchmen?  Who moderates the moderators?

Actually, I think this kind of banter mostly indicates a stong and healthy relationship between people who have a sense of humor.

About those squawfish, though.  I'm willing to have my mind changed here; it's pretty easy to talk me out of killing something; but my thinking so far is that squawfish are best bonked and tossed in the bushes.  Although most people consider them poor eating at best, I'm willing to admit that they are a source of protein.  But I've watched these fish in a pool in a river where there were several other species: catfish, carp, tlapia.  The squawfish were by far the most agressive feeders and would take food off the surface, from the bottom, and anywhere in between.  Plus they will eat the immature fish from other species.  (I realize you can say the same thing about trout.)

I suppose it isn't the squawfish's fault that it is particularly good at competing for the food supply, but whenever I see a squawfish in a river I think that other more desireable species are sure to suffer and decline.  I bonk 'em.  And I recommend other people do too.

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2004, 02:27:39 PM »

this fish can also be marrketed if the government plays their cards right. bring these fish to porocessing plants and have them ground up as fishfood for the hatcheries. sell them in stores frozen or salted..maybe in chinatown for example..whatever but the possibilities for such a nuisance of a fish can be used to some entrepreneurs advantage......ie is sea bass in  restaurants really seabass, dogfish used as fishnchips overseas etc etc etc. just change the name of the fish commercially and see what happens.