Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stave River  (Read 5811 times)

Stream Keeper

• I'm a llama!
Stave River
« on: October 11, 2004, 02:27:54 AM »

Could anyone tell me if its possible to cross over to the Island in a pontoon boat ??? Or is the current to strong ???

funfisher

• I'm a llama!
Re: Stave River
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2004, 09:45:30 AM »

I have personally used a pontoon in the stave and found it very easy to get around. I don't think you will have too much of a problem.  The only thing that I could suggest is that you take notice of the tides.  It might be a little more difficult on the out going tide to get where you want to go. 

TtotheE

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2004, 11:33:01 AM »

I don't think its so much the tides but the outflow of the damn.  Granted during low tide the current is much faster.  When the damn lets go of some water the islands get small real quick.

Speychucker

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2004, 08:54:05 AM »

I've floated the Stave many times no problem in the mid and lower river, but you need to be careful in the upper river as TtotheE said, if they are releasing extra water (as they did last weekend) the upper river can get quite fast and with the islands you get some strong hydraulics which can make for some touch rowing. Be careful and don't forget your PFD.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2004, 11:14:29 AM »

Depends on what rind of a river pilot you are. If you know what you are doing you could shoot the current at the top of the island and beach halfway down the east side. I have seen others do it with a bellyboats during low flows. Strap in and make sure you ware your PFD.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"