Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder October 8th - Jackpot!  (Read 7612 times)

gman

Re: Vedder October 8th - Jackpot!
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2004, 05:34:47 PM »

Congratulations Rod. Obviously you made the right decision to move this morning.

My day was not nearly as dramatic as yours, but still fun. While you were at the first spot I lost one coho near shore. After you left things the crowd really thinned out at that spot, and Sean and I pretty much had it to ourselves. I spent some time trying for coho, but didn't have too much luck so had some fun with the springs. I caught and released a number of fish. All were fairly bright and a couple were so big I had to just break them off.

Sean, just after you left I hooked one more HUGE one, before calling it a day myself. Send me your email address and I'll send you the pictures.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2004, 06:26:31 PM by gman »

joedavis

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2004, 05:36:03 PM »

That's a super nice fish! Way to go, Rodney! That'll give you a few sashimi slices! As I have reported before there are lots of big cohos in the system. Counting Rodney's fish, I reckon I have seen at least a dozen fish that size this year. Heard a rumour that a 20# coho was weighed in. It's still early October so you'll all have a shot at getting some huge fish this season.

I fished the lower river today between 7:30am to 10am and got two hatcheries in the 9-10# range and one wild one. Also released two chum doe. Got absolutely soaked, but it was fun. We need a bit of rain to bring in  fresh fish. Tight lines.

LukeYVR

• I'm a llama lover..
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2004, 08:43:33 PM »

Rod-Sensei sure never disappoints me.   ;D:o 8)       

When he hooked his hoho, I thought, Mnnnnn, this chrome chinook sure jumps a lot.. ???   Gee, it was so big I just assumed it was the chinook.   

Thanks guys. :) I just weighed it and it's a bit over 14lb without guts, so somewhere between 15 and 16lb with guts.... I was closer, I think Luke needs to do some weights. ;D   

Weight lifting?   No, thanx.  Luke Fishwalker just uses the force.  :D   Besides, Jpns. girls like their guys slender. :P
But seriousely though...  Oh, 16lb.?  Really....?  But, but..., his guts were enormous.. just those studly sperm tanks must've weighed 2lb..  ;) 

does anyone know how rod does it why are we the only ones coming back with nothing ;D

Maybe it's a  mama nature's reward for him always picking up discarded fishing lines 'n stuff after fishing.     Or....it might be, because of his daily doses of Double Double from the Tim Horton's..   ::) 

Oh.., by the way, he landed that coho using a 8lb. test leader.   

Sensei's wisdom for today:  If the one location sucks,  move on!
                                             Don't be lazy, hunt for fishes.

Nice seeing you again gman,
your story about taking the reel a part really shook me up.. :-\

And nice to meet you,  Sean the lurker. :)

canoe man

• Old Timer
  • and awaaaaaaaay we go!
    • brandywine marine
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2004, 09:02:16 PM »

dont even think of a lottery ticket rod your luck was done for the day when you beached that whale, nice job  ;)
cnm out
president of the HANEY HOOKERS SOCIETY

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2004, 09:13:53 PM »

beautiful fish rod. wish i had gott :'( :'(en out.

stryker 07

• Piss on work,gotta go fishing
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2004, 10:11:36 PM »

;DNice fish rod....it must be that stryker rod eh????lol
Please honey can i go fishing now???

Sabre

• Bite Me
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2004, 10:38:10 PM »

I'll i can say is WOW nice fish Rod.  :)

funruh

• feeeesh
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2004, 12:09:00 AM »

sweet catch.
the smile does say it all

wtg rod

FISHIN MAGICIAN

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2004, 12:14:39 AM »

Nice fish there Rod!

But to be honest...not that I wanna rain on anyones parade...

BUT...why not release that fish, and catch a couple of 8 pounders? Personally, I would have released that fish--for you had more fun playing it that you will with it on your dinner plate!

Personally, I believe that since we are ANGLERS and SPORTSFISHERS, we should be pushing to make sure that fish like that, hatchery or NOT, be released.

Personally, I am pushing for SPORTSFISHERS to be STEWARDS of the resource, NOT the DFO, NOT the Natives, NOR ANYONE else to do the work that must be done to preserve the resource for the future...

Personally, I am writing to DFO to have all large fish released.  As an individual who used to guide professionally, I pride myself in knowing that I persuaded my guests to release a trophy fish rather than make it dinner.

Now some people may argue that a hatchery fish is inconsequential...I disagree...as hatchery fish drive our resource and enjoyment. Either way, I anticipate getting blasted on this commentary..but I just thought I would put it out there.

For example, look at all the turkeys fishing Ambleside east of the pier and failing to use no more than 2 single hooks? (NO TREBLES ALLOWED THERE!) Most bait fishers in that area are violating the regulation!~ But DFO doesn't enforce it because of the natives snagging away with their lead head snags....

How about the gross DFO mismanagement of the Sockeye this past fall? FIRE most of them for screwing that one up...I don't care what they say about mortality...then figure out something else!

Anyways....tight lines to all anglers...and I don't mean to be a S%^& disturber, but that is just the what I think.

Tight lines and memorable moments to all!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2004, 08:36:05 AM »

I cannot agree with you FM on this fish being released even though I respect your point of view. I am not blasting you but giving my opinon only and others may add their thoughts as well. To me it is the fish of a lifetime and I along with the majority of anglers would have harvested it in the blink of an eye.

I will not get into a long debate on this but we must remember the Chilliwack/Vedder is a hatchery river and the hatchery stock like this one are there to be taken. It is like the hatchery steelhead program as biologists want these fish taken to protect the gene pool.

Most likely this coho would have entered the Chilliwack Hatchery and would have been gone out with the fish sales that are now ongoing as the hatchery has all the brood they need now for this year.

As far as stewards of the Chilliwack/Vedder River and the resource there is not many people as devoted to this cause than there is on this board including our moderator.

I hope you will attend one of our Chilliwack/Vedder River Cleanup Coalition's cleanups in the future if you have not been able to do so to date.

For example on our last cleanup on BC Rivers Day 2 weeks ago it saw over 200 volunteers putting their words in to action.

Hope you can join us on our next cleanup in January.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2004, 08:53:00 AM by chris gadsden »

joedavis

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2004, 10:03:59 AM »

I agree 100% with Chris on this issue.  No need to say more.

FishOn

• This sure beats workin!
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2004, 12:07:50 PM »

Beatiful fish rod and congrats ;D. Now that I'm back in town I hope to get out and try my luck. Hopefully the rain won't last too long like last year and the river will be fishable for the forseeable future.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2004, 12:11:08 PM »

i've hooked on to a few nice cohos these past 2 weeks and have yet to land one.
 i was at mid river this morning and it was the same story "fish on" then "fish off". just my luck, i've tried everything from going to smaller hook sizes,  smaller roe sacks, and i'v even tried to 'baby' the fish in.  

it's taking a lot of skill to land cohos this year and i'm not alone.  for every beautiful fish i've seen harvested, i've seen about 15 fishers go home empty handed.

hey rod.....greaaat fish.  what did you do?  'corner the market' on the 'luck' department? ::)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2004, 01:51:11 PM »

Awesome fish Rodney !

joedavis

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2004, 01:59:37 PM »

Hey blaydRnr,

This might sound crazy to you and others, but when I'm losing a lot of fish I tie on a bigger hook. Usually I'll use a size 2 for coho and if I lose more than one fish I change over to a size 1 hook right away. My friend uses a 1/0 for coho  all the time and he get all the big ones!! Try it.  Also the  water will be slightly coloured for the next couple of day so go ahead and use size 1 or 1/0 hooks. The fish won't be hook or leader shy.