Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder September 13th  (Read 4497 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Vedder September 13th
« on: September 13, 2004, 04:01:40 PM »

Water clarity was quite good, water level was slightly higher than preferred. Fished from 6:45am til 12:30pm, no bites. Saw a total of two rises. Didn't see any other hookups. Fished from Peach down to the railway bridge, and parts of the mid river just above the crossing.

I came across this while venturing the mid river, leftovers of summer campers.

Don't forget about the cleanup coming up during Vedder River Festival on September 26th everyone.

steelieman

• Fish On!!!!
Re:Vedder September 13th
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2004, 04:10:17 PM »

Rod

How was the flow? Rushing water or smooth flowing. Thinking about heading out to the canal. Did you see any of the islands showing??

Took my son to Chehalis and we got into 2 summer run steelie. Water was low but fishable.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2004, 04:23:53 PM »

Rod

How was the flow? Rushing water or smooth flowing. Thinking about heading out to the canal. Did you see any of the islands showing??

Flow was in between rushing and smooth. :) With the rain today, it'll probably rise again. No islands showing in the canal. My next trip will probably be in a week from now. ;)

joedavis

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2004, 04:59:51 PM »

I agree with Doc that there is no rush to get them now as you'll be fishing hard for one or two cohos, and maybe a jack spring. Wait until October when you can get 4 easily.

scales

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2004, 06:58:10 PM »

Rod, thanks for the lastest river conditions.  Just like to mention about these early "smart" coho.  Year after year we hear there's fish in the hatchery in early Sept.  As we approach mid Sept. the number of Cohoes are in the hundreds in the hatchery!(over 1,000 one year by 15 Sept. in low water cond. as noted in my files) and yet we kid ourselves that it's too early, the water is too low or wait till the runs come in around Oct....
These smart Cohoes are big, weighing up to 14# usually between 8 to 14# class.  Some say they are true "Northerns" and are hard to hunt down but if found, are a blast to catch! Few have figured this out and constantly limiting out without informing the fishing public at large. 8)  Sure you can wait until the main run shows up but then fishing is too easy :o so get off your computer and go get them!

Gutslinger

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2004, 07:12:43 PM »

Posted by: joedavis  I agree with Doc that there is no rush to get them now as you'll be fishing hard for one or two cohos, and maybe a jack spring. Wait until October when you can get 4 easily.  

yeah because it's all about the meat isn't it

flyguy44

• who's a lama
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2004, 07:15:41 PM »

Scales  I agree. The first coho is the hardest to catch and worth a little extra effort  :) :) After all like everybody says in another two weeks they will come without much effort and problably not the same thrill as the first of the year

Any day on the river is a good day
ANY DAY ON THE RIVER IS A GOOD DAY

SC

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2004, 07:57:14 PM »

Well said Scales... :)

mission

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2004, 08:29:54 PM »

you are so right the fish are there just have to put your time in for the early cohos, was at hatchery hole first lite had 1 on almost to the beach then of coarse let go at the shore.same story on friday morning .i left hatchery hole at 8am move down river a little bit and igot into about 4fish landed 2 both white springs what a smelly fish, ;D one was chrome so off to the smoker going in the morning to try again for those crhome hachery cohos 8)
FOB

flyguy44

• who's a lama
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2004, 08:29:54 PM »

Keep on trying Nicefish it sounds like you put your time in so your do.

It's all good
ANY DAY ON THE RIVER IS A GOOD DAY

carpman

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2004, 08:57:21 PM »

so whats working bait wise?

minnie-me

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2004, 09:49:20 PM »

Top or bottom?
Thanks ;)

mission

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2004, 09:24:13 AM »

i caught all my fish on pro cured coho roe  will switch to wool soon or my wife will be moving out can\t get the smell off my hands  ;D lol carp man
FOB

SC

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2004, 09:32:08 AM »

Lower river mission?

joedavis

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2004, 09:59:52 AM »

yeah because it's all about the meat isn't it

Yes, sometimes I go fish for meat. Do you release all your hatchery fish? When I was younger our family didn't have much money and both my parents worked to make ends meet. Our neighbour fished a great deal and he would bring us a salmon as a gift. We treasured it. Now that neighbour is in his 70's and can no longer fish. I don't have a great deal of time to fish now because of work, but when I go out to fish I make sure I get a fish or two for him and his wife. I also give a fish to my sister and her family.

Sometimes I also go out to play. Two years ago I found a school of early coho and I landed 25 and released 23. I kept two for a friend who was going back to Saskatchewan.