Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: vedder fall run  (Read 4519 times)

scalper66

• here fishy fishy
vedder fall run
« on: September 06, 2004, 10:13:07 PM »

hey everyone i was just wondering i have never been out for the fall vedder run but im quite excited for this year is actully as good as all the hype for it is? do you go home empty handed alot? also was wondering what the aveage weight is for a fish landed thnx

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re:vedder fall run
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2004, 10:16:23 PM »

It can be very good. Whether you come home empty handed really depends on your fishing skills. I would guesstimate the average weight to be in the teens but there are alot of large bruisers around. Be sure you use heavier gear than if you were targeting cohos.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2004, 10:17:43 PM »

Scalper, didn't you read the other post? There are no fish in the Vedder. ;)

Anyways, the fall run usually starts about... now (a bit late this year) and ends around November in the Vedder. The coho are already making their way in now, they will be followed by white spring and chum salmon.

Two very effective ways will make you happy on the Vedder, for a gear angler anyways, you can spin cast spoons and spinners at first light or drift roe all day long and hook up coho (if you find them). Take a look at this article for float fishing with roe technique. The lures I am selling will work for coho, other lures that will be good are Gibbs Croc, Koho, Bluefox, etc. Others can fill you in more on spincasting there as I generally do my spincasting in Richmond. :)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2004, 10:19:17 PM »

Oh yes, the weight, Fulcrum already covered that... :-[ I usually get a few 12s to 14s, most are between 6 and 10. Don't focus on the Vedder too much of course, there are many other rivers where fishing can be just as good. :)

scalper66

• here fishy fishy
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2004, 10:19:36 PM »

wanted to go for springs

scalper66

• here fishy fishy
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2004, 10:20:15 PM »

i heard up in squmish can also be really good

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2004, 10:22:07 PM »

The Squamish has a pretty strong chum fishery starting around second week of October until the end of November.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2004, 11:32:51 PM »

Scalper, the fall run white spring are nothing like what you caught in the ocean awhile ago. Most of these fish turn very quickly once they enter the system. Not a worthy fish to keep unless you can find a fresh one. I normally would prefer to spend my effort to target the coho salmon, which are a lot fresher, livelier and tastier. ;D

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2004, 08:11:06 AM »

Fred's has had some huge Coho's weighed in over the last couple of years (around 18lbs.)  These are RARE.  My experience is the same as most of the reports.  Coho - 6-10lbs.  Springs 15-30lbs.