Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing Methods for the Vedder?  (Read 10516 times)

Matuka Jack

• It's time to fish!
Fishing Methods for the Vedder?
« on: August 31, 2004, 11:23:48 AM »

It sounds like there are different techniques utilize in fishing Vedder/Chilliwack River.  I believe that this goes to respecting pevailing fishing method for the particular sections of the river.
Are the different techniques applies to different sections of the river?
What techniques applies to which sections of the river?

Information that you provide is greatly appreciated.
"Of the things we think, say or do:
1.  Is it the TRUTH?
2.  Is it FAIR to all concerned?
3.  Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
4.  Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?"

By Herbert J. Taylor

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re:Fishing Methods for the Vedder?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2004, 11:36:22 AM »

Most anglers employ the float fishing method. There are some who like to bottom bounce using long leaders. I do not recommend the sockeye mentality. Stick to using floats and short leaders and you will do just fine.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2004, 11:46:01 AM »

And don't neglect the spoons and spinners. :) A couple of years back, a friend of mine managed to land 3 coho in ten minutes with a copper hammered croc while I had no hits on the float. Then again, how often do you see me catch a fish... ;D

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2004, 11:59:09 AM »

If you're not using roe, look at what everybody else is tossing in i.e. red/orange and toss something different.  I've used blue with success and I think it's because the Coho see red all day that they get used to it and don't react.  Change your colour combos often if your not getting hits. Also try small hooks (#4), and light leader (6-8 lb.), and small wool when the water is clear.  When using roe, keep it to the size of a quarter.  You'll miss hits with large chunks.  Spinners/blades work as Rodney says.  My first experience with a spoon was at limit/boundary hole.  We arrived late in the day and watched what was happening (nothing).  My buddy changes his wool to a large blue croc and first cast has one on.  Keep trying things until you find what works for you.  Watch  the guys arround you and ask questions.

frank Kwak

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2004, 01:46:13 PM »

Remember also that DFO has extra enforcement and patrol staff out.  If it is observed that Sockeye are being hooked no one will be fishing the Vedder.  Bottom bouncing long leaders are sure to do that if there are Sockeye around and you will destroy the Vedder for everyone.
Some at DFO wanted even now to close from Tamihi to the confluence because of the imminent danger of someone catching a Sockeye or harming a Sockeye. We have argued that one and won for now. DFO has agreed to let it stay open for now - BUT!
The first action will be to close the abutement hole and the boomstick hole and then who knows what.  So please stay away from the 381 Sockeye that might show.
Frank

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2004, 03:33:41 PM »

Just fish next to the guy whats wearing a tilly.

Fishin Freak

• Old Timer
  • Get The Feeling, Toyota!
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2004, 05:12:02 PM »

Same as the others have mentioned or try this. Small piece of pencil lead with a 1-2 foot leader attached and a 1/0 hook with small piece of wool, fish this setup in a pool and it will bring you good success. Use a 8-10lb leader in case something larger decides to bite.

Buckeye

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2004, 06:29:19 PM »

The Cultus Sockeye are currently in the river. Frank is absolutely right, DFO WILL close part of the river if these Sockeye are being caught. Please don't bottom bounce below Vedder Crossing, and also avoid using spoons and spinners between Vedder Crossing and Peach Road. Remember that some of these Sockeye are adipose clipped, make sure it is a Coho you're knocking on the head!

Buckeye

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2004, 06:53:41 PM »

I have asked that exact same question. Apparently the adipose clip is the only clip that does not affect survival rates. DFO does not want to take any chances with this endangered run of fish. Sure seems silly to a lot of us. Max clips never seemed to bother Steelhead, I guess Sockeye are different. ???

Fishin Freak

• Old Timer
  • Get The Feeling, Toyota!
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2004, 09:51:45 PM »

Sorry meant #1. A #2 is getting a little on the small side if you want any springs or chums.

Neat Freak

• Birdnest King!
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2004, 09:11:07 AM »

Is it advisable to use a spoon without a float in the pools?

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2004, 10:11:18 AM »

I usually use a float regardless to keep the spoon off the bottom and from snagging fish as I reel.  In a deeper pool you can go sans float.  You can also get them short floating a colorado blade.  The fish will come for it.

Most of the time on the Vedder Ill be short floating roe on 16 or so inches of leader and not be touching the bottom at all.  My float is almost always perpendicular to the water during my drift (might brush bottom for a few feet at a tailout of a run).  The float goes down smoothly when a fish bites or I get hung on something sticking up from the bottom (stick, fishing line etc).  It's a very good strike to hook ratio with this method which is good as Id rather have 5 or 6 strikes in a morning and hook two or three then strike almost every cast and still maybe hook two or three and then some of those might not be in the mouth... ::)  ???  It annoys me when I see that going on.

6 lb - 8lb leader, 10 - 12 lb mainline.  Pencil lead on top of a bead (buddy showed me that trick to keep your knot on the swivel protected from the weight sliding up and down) a cut down  5/8 inch straight-through foam float and #4 - #2 gammie hooks is what I have for the Vedder/Chehalis during the fall.  Maybe a tuft of peachy orange wool to go with the roe or something to use on its own for a change if fishing is slow.

Hope it'll be a good year and see some of you out there!  ;D
I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2004, 10:23:06 AM »

Neat Freak, you can certainly use spoons without a float. This can be done in frog waters where current is small or does not exist. In the faster water, I prefer to strictly fish with wool/roe/singles under a float. Spoon casting in fast waters can be frustrating. You would either snag onto the bottom if your lure is too heavy, or your lure will drift away on the surface if it is too light.

Gordie: Good post. One factor that drives me back to the Vedder is the sight of that float being pulled down faster than your eyes blink. I can always catch almost as many coho down around Richmond, but there is something about float fishing that drives me back. Another advantage about float fishing is that you are able to fish selectively. Short floating allows you to target strictly coho and maybe a few spring jacks. Your chance of hooking a big bad spring is smaller. This allows you to use lighter line if necessary. If you are after the big white spring, simply go slightly deeper. During pink season, the same scenario happens. Lengthen your float depth, you'll get into pinks (dead and alive) and springs. Shorten your float depth, you'll be into coho all day long. ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2004, 11:01:59 AM »

The two above posts are getting me excited for another coho season ahead. ;D ;D

Off to Penticton now for a medal or two?? and then some spring jacks in the Thompson on the way home with OB2 as well, a busy week ahead.

Frank Kw will keep the forum up todate on OB2 plans

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2004, 07:17:40 PM »

Right you are Rodney

Maybe we'll hook up this fall now that I might have some time to fish after 2 years of doing barely any.

Looking forward to it!
I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?