Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kokanee in Buntzen Lake?  (Read 22344 times)

The_Roe_Man

• I like ROE!
Re:Kokanee in Buntzen Lake?
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2004, 09:51:24 AM »

So your kokanee is a squaw fish eh.  My brother made the same mistake once.  The flesh of those kokanee in buntzen are orange colour but not bright red like the one in the picture probobly as a result of the food.
I like ROE

Koho

• I'm an alpaca!
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2004, 10:12:56 AM »

Yeah, I'm very happy to finally know.  Thanks to both you and Rod!

Learning to identify fish is a skill unto itself, and I think it's important to learn because of the regs and quotas and such.  Thanks again.

No problem.  Learning to ID a fish is challenging, but part of the fun in fishing.  Like we saw, checking for the adipose fin is a good way to start to ID your fish.  

BTW, how did you catch the fish?  From shore or boat, and what lure or bait did you use?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2004, 10:17:09 AM by Koho »
"I'm having fish tonight!"  -Bruce, the Shark in Finding Nemo.

Zaphod

• Amateur hook rinser
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2004, 11:13:57 AM »

It was caught from shore.  I used a small brass lucky strike spinner with a #4 barbless hook, and I tied a little bit of shrimp to the hook.

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2004, 11:59:27 AM »

I know that buntzen has billions of white fish some times. But they are usually very small.  Also, since buntzen is connected to coquitlam lake, I would think that kokanee could get in that way if they do not spawn in the creeks.

Jon

lowtech

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2004, 01:43:21 PM »

Hey Zaphod I am glad to hear you are enjoying your new hobby of fishing.Be careful it can be very addictive.I realize that there are lots of rules and regs and the learning curve is pretty steep but at the same time I think perhaps you should release fish if you can not I.D. them.I don't want to sound like a jerk or anything but I am quite surprised that I have read through 4 pages of responses to your post and nobody has mentioned this to you yet.I see you did some homework on this fishery by checking limits and species available in this lake etc. but when you start trying other techniques and species (such as salmon and steelhead) it is imparative you be able to identify fish before they are dispatched.Again I am just trying to be helpful. I know, I killed a non-hatchery coho in the Harrison my first year fishing and I still feel bad about it.Good luck and I hope to see you at the cleanup on the Vedder next month or on the water sometime. Tight lines, Todd

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2004, 02:20:46 PM »

If you're after pikeminnows - get up to Cultus Lake and get as many as you can - millions of them up there all feasting on the efforts of the Sockeye >:(. On a boat or off shore its no problem catching them. Float and worm or worm on the bottom, spinners or try gangtrolls off boat.
Eat all you want. ;)

Zaphod

• Amateur hook rinser
« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2004, 04:20:14 PM »

Jonny 5 - I thought for awhile that I had a whitefish, but I don't think the scales were big enough to be a whitefish, and the lack of adipose fin ruled it out.  I'm a bit disappointed, but I understand that whitefish would have been better eating. :)

Lowtech - Thanks for the tip.  For some strange reason, I thought that what I had was trout.  In any case, good thing I learned the lesson with a fish that isn't an endangered species.  I'm fishing with barbless hooks so anything I can't ID from now on can be safely and quickly returned to the water.

Rieber - I'll keep it in mind.  I don't know if I want more pikeminnows though. :)  It was fun to catch, though, and put up one hell of a fight for its size.