Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Careful out there  (Read 2555 times)

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
Careful out there
« on: February 12, 2024, 06:01:09 PM »

.... more anglers fishing out of rafts the last few years.....someone flipped one yesterday around Wilson road...limited experience and apparently hit a submerged log....all safe but lost rods,gear,wallet etc.... raft got hung up by anchor and was going to be retrieved.....apparently the guy's auto inflate pfd did not inflate till he was on shore....
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

Darko

• Old Timer
Re: Careful out there
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2024, 08:14:06 PM »

.... more anglers fishing out of rafts the last few years.....someone flipped one yesterday around Wilson road...limited experience and apparently hit a submerged log....all safe but lost rods,gear,wallet etc.... raft got hung up by anchor and was going to be retrieved.....apparently the guy's auto inflate pfd did not inflate till he was on shore....

I have seen multiple rafters the last two times I went out. I really wonder how it's worth all that extra effort when there is so much river to fish.
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

redside1

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2024, 08:34:36 AM »

I have seen multiple rafters the last two times I went out. I really wonder how it's worth all that extra effort when there is so much river to fish.

Boating is a great way to fish. Adds to the adventure/fun of the day usually. Can pack with you more amenities like a nice shore lunch. You can fish all sorts of small pieces of water quickly. Only down side is on crowded days you drift past a lot of water but hose are also days when bank fishing it's hard to find a spot.
Even though I have not done it on the Chilliwack/Vedder, I have many other places and wish the Chilliwack/Vedder had some proper boat put in's and take outs like you see on so many Washington & Oregon rivers. Don't need full blown launches but maybe a few slides to help getting safe boats into the river and out.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2024, 08:01:49 PM »

Inflatable life jackets are not the best choice for white water rafting. Better then nothing I suppose. Invest in a good dry bag, if you use it once it’s paid for.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2024, 08:52:28 PM »

Talked to a couple of rafts today that floated past me and both rafts told me they caught zero. Was a nice day to go on boat ride down the river mind you. The mid river was packed with fence posters so they probally didn’t get to fish as much water as they would have liked.