Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing Books  (Read 2840 times)

Darko

• Old Timer
Fishing Books
« on: January 24, 2024, 02:34:02 PM »

These are some books I picked up from my public library. Not sure how much of them I will be able to read but I sure am excited. If you have read any of these, feel free to share your experience or other books you are currently reading.
"Days of Rivers Past"
"Returning to the Yakoun River"
"Island Salmon Fisherman"
"Fishing Mapbook Southwestern BC"

« Last Edit: January 24, 2024, 02:36:05 PM by Darko »
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: Fishing Books
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2024, 03:41:03 PM »

These are some books I picked up from my public library. Not sure how much of them I will be able to read but I sure am excited. If you have read any of these, feel free to share your experience or other books you are currently reading.
"Days of Rivers Past"
"Returning to the Yakoun River"
"Island Salmon Fisherman"
"Fishing Mapbook Southwestern BC"

Days of Rivers Past is a sad book, so much lost so fast. A must read for younger anglers, imo. How are you enjoying it Rodney, lol!
Perhaps my favorite of all though is "The River Why" by David James Duncan. Check it out.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2024, 04:34:30 PM »

I've read the Days of Rivers Past. It's a memoir of good things once were and it's decline. The Province, DFO, hatcheries and selfish anglers all get his criticism. I've got the Map Book. The fishing information is generalized and deceiving. I don't think the authors were familiar with many of the waters listed and much of the info 2nd hand. The maps were pretty good though I have heard much of the info is out of date & access is limited. I always enjoy reading about info on rivers and lakes I've never fished so it's worth it for that.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2024, 08:17:14 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2024, 07:14:01 PM »

A river never sleeps by Haig-Brown

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2024, 08:32:51 PM »

A river never sleeps by Haig-Brown

one of the best angling books ever published IMO!
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Silex-user

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2024, 05:12:26 PM »

One my favorite B.C fishing books are by Barry M. Thornton called Steelhead. I brought one his  very rare hard cover book. Also, Local angler Author Eric Carlisle with his West Coast River Angling book. I had great pleasure fishing with Eric up one his favorite rivers north of Fraser river. He one who show me how to drift spoon for monster steelheads.

Silex user

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2024, 10:38:51 PM »

Also, Local angler Author Eric Carlisle with his West Coast River Angling book.
That book holds a place of honour on my bookshelf.  As a new immigrant to BC that was the first book I bought.  I learned a lot from it.

The fishing book that is beside my bed right now is “Seasons of a Flyfisher” by Prince George angler Brian Smith. I’m not an actively reading it but I do nose through it every now and again.

firebird

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2024, 08:16:31 AM »

That book holds a place of honour on my bookshelf.  As a new immigrant to BC that was the first book I bought.  I learned a lot from it.
It's worth it for the photos of the cool, long haired anglers of the day  ;)

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2024, 08:50:47 AM »

It's worth it for the photos of the cool, long haired anglers of the day  ;)

Indeed! 😀