Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tigerfish of the Pacific Coast  (Read 5922 times)

clarki

• Old Timer
Tigerfish of the Pacific Coast
« on: November 25, 2023, 07:56:04 AM »

coastangler

Re: Tigerfish of the Pacific Coast
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2023, 10:00:54 AM »

On that topic, one of the best Pacific Salmon fishing Youtube videos ever in my opinion which unfortunately didn't get the attention it deserves in terms of number of views.... Enjoy

Vampire Tigers by Brad Knowles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKZ740eRPyc
« Last Edit: November 25, 2023, 12:05:55 PM by coastangler »
"It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.”
Sir Edmund Hillary

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2023, 12:02:37 PM »

"img width=768 height=1024]https://i.imgur.com/NqKs8Xz.jpg[/img]"

this doesn't open... at least for me.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

coastangler

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2023, 12:06:39 PM »

Odd - it works for me and renders correctly in the forum. Did you tried opening the URL directly? https://i.imgur.com/NqKs8Xz.jpg
Sir Edmund Hillary

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2023, 02:57:52 PM »

Fly fishing for Squamish river chum used to be the highlight of my salmon fishing season. As soon as I'd wrap up mu coho pursuits, hardly a weekend day in November would go by without me casting some purple and orange creations to willing chum.
Alas, with the numbers being so low, targetting chum this season, even if it is C&R only, is not allowed.
Hopefully, this magnificent West Coast fishery will rebound in coming years, and I'll again have the pleasure of targetting those toothy monsters, which, pound per pound, are the best fighters in the salmon world. And keeping a few for the smoker would be an excellent bonus.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2023, 03:58:05 PM »

Odd - it works for me and renders correctly in the forum. Did you tried opening the URL directly? https://i.imgur.com/NqKs8Xz.jpg

nope  I tried opening Imgur & I get this message -

{"data":{"error":"Imgur is temporarily over capacity. Please try again later."},"success":false,"status":403}

« Last Edit: November 25, 2023, 04:01:02 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2023, 05:56:05 PM »

cannot interest me to fish chum salmon.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2023, 12:24:26 PM »

cannot interest me to fish chum salmon.

Are you bragging or complaining?

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2023, 12:25:17 PM »

« Last Edit: November 26, 2023, 12:28:19 PM by bigsnag »
It ain't the roe bro'

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2023, 12:27:46 PM »

Works fine for me.
It ain't the roe bro'

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2023, 12:45:14 PM »

Chums take flies well.  Unfortunately too many people chose to fish where they are stacked up and as a result a lot of them are foul hooked.
I once watched a regular poster here and his friends foul hooked over twenty chums...and not realizing that they really shouldn't be fishing there.
It ain't the roe bro'

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2023, 01:17:58 PM »

Works fine for me.

Of two laptops here it works on one but not the other. Don't know why. Both laptops go through a VPN - same server. Could be how imgur deals with calls from the same IP.

coastangler

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2023, 06:03:35 PM »

Chums take flies well.  Unfortunately too many people chose to fish where they are stacked up and as a result a lot of them are foul hooked.

There is also the impression that fly tackle companies and stores have created that "If you are not getting bites, it means you are not getting down" which means that you need to have every possible sink tip available and keep trying it until you snag a fish. Fly fishsing for pinks or chums with heavy tips usually means snagging them. After snagging a fish, you will probably spook most fish around, so the attempts to catch fish by "getting down" are a waste of time. Instead, use a slow or intermediate tip and that way you know that the tug is a geniune bite. Salmon can see the flies quite easily and when aggressive, they won't mind going for it, even if it's not right by its mouth. If you keep casting and casting to a school of fish and you are not getting anything, well, try something else or go somewhere else, but don't go heavier because the next cast will most likely be a foul hooked fish

I get that some rare cases like northern BC Chinook on the fly may require T-14 or even T-21 tips but in my opinion, that's about it. 90% of the salmon fly fishing in the lower mainland can be achieved with slow and intermediate tips. Need to sink deeper? Adjust your presentation (i.e. downstream mend, cast further upstream angle, etc) but don't be fooled into buying the expensive collectibles that sink tips are becoming!

PS: Rare cases like the deep pools at the Cap may require heavier lines, but again, not needed for pinks and chums that usually stack up in big numbers
« Last Edit: November 26, 2023, 06:07:46 PM by coastangler »
Sir Edmund Hillary

Kever

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2023, 08:49:27 AM »

Do they typically bite on the swing or the strip?  I caught 10x more pinks stripping than swinging this summer.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2023, 09:14:16 AM »

i dont mind targeting them (when legal to do so), but they have to look like this. not really into zombie chum.