Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Recommendation for shore sturgeon gear on a budget  (Read 2400 times)

vancook

• Old Timer
Recommendation for shore sturgeon gear on a budget
« on: November 17, 2023, 12:21:10 PM »

Was batting the idea around in my head to start fishing from shore for sturgeon from time to time.
It's been close to 10 years since the last time I did that.

What size rod and reel do you suggest and best bang for your buck options? I know I won't go often so I'm not looking for buying premium rods and reels. Unlike my drift fishing gear which is on the higher end.

Thanks

Darko

• Old Timer
Re: Recommendation for shore sturgeon gear on a budget
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2023, 01:15:54 PM »

Was batting the idea around in my head to start fishing from shore for sturgeon from time to time.
It's been close to 10 years since the last time I did that.

What size rod and reel do you suggest and best bang for your buck options? I know I won't go often so I'm not looking for buying premium rods and reels. Unlike my drift fishing gear which is on the higher end.

Thanks
You can pick up the "Big water ugly stick" for ~120$. I've seen a couple 6 footers pulled out with that rod. I have heard good things about penn battle reels size 6000-8000. I wasn't able to catch any this season. Many bites but no takes sadly.
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2023, 03:05:10 PM »

My shore setup for years was a ten foot ugly stick. Penn 330 loaded with 80 lb braid. Land many many fish with the biggest being a 7 footer at the mouth of the Coquihalla.

Old Blue

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2023, 04:04:16 PM »

Don't waste your $ on gear that can't handle a 7' + fish as you never know what size of fish you'll hook into.  Yes you can luck out catching them on lighter gear but the gear will not last and the little savings you had just went in the trash can.  Buy once cry once.

I recommend a lever drag reel and NOT STAR DRAG that can handle a lot of drag pressure.  Penn Fathom 40N is an excellent reel that will last.  The Squalls are a cheaper version but should last a while too.  For a rod I'd go with a Okuma PCH H or XH 8' or the Daiwa Proteus.

You can also go the spinning reel route as they're easier to learn how to cast heavy weights but I'm not a fan.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2023, 09:57:26 PM »

I used 300lb braid as main line before. but it catches too much current. Switch to 130lb improved a bit. lighter line fishing from shore is harmful for both fish and yourself.

When fishing from shore, Land anything bigger than 7 feet depends on luck more than the gear. Pay more attention to the shore condition. Think of where to land the fish is more important. The drag is the least you need to worry. a big fish can pull any drag in the market. and it will break off if the drag is more than 20lb. If you use lever drag, do use scale to measure the drag. 20lb drag is way more than you think. usually we feel very tight drag is around 5-8lb most. We usually allow the fish run fast and further out to avoid any snags and rocks close to shore. tire them out in the deep water and bring in fast when it is done. When the braid touches a rock, 300lb braid will break like nothing.

Spinning reel is bulky and heavy. I prefer open face star drag reel. The star drag reel has brake, it will be less likely to get bird nest like the lever drag reel. But Bird nest still happens sometime.  if you have a kayak or something, it helps to bring heavy weight and bait further out in the river.  Casting 12oz plus a fish head far is challenging for any setup.