Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: new / first time canada vancouver b.c  (Read 1216 times)

insec

new / first time canada vancouver b.c
« on: November 13, 2023, 06:50:15 AM »

Hello everyone,
my name is Nils, and I'm from Frankfurt am Main, Germany. I came across this forum through YouTube. Our family is planning a trip to Vancouver, Whistler, and then to Harrison Hot Springs next April. I wanted to gather information about the local fishing conditions through YouTube videos beforehand. I must say, the videos have been very helpful already. Do you have any additional tips for us on where and how to fish for specific types of fish during that time of year? Also, could you recommend a store where we can obtain licenses, tips, and fishing gear?

In advance, thank you very much.

SuperBobby

Re: new / first time canada vancouver b.c
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2023, 10:17:57 AM »

Unless you have family or friends here that know the local fisheries....I would recommend you getting a guide and go sturgeon fishing. It's very reasonably priced, and it's prime season....especially if spring freshet hasn't started. Most people will tell you its an experience of a lifetime.

insec

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2023, 12:19:48 PM »

Maybe I expressed that wrong I have no family in Canada I go on vacation with my family. Thanks for the tip, I'll see if I can find an organizer near me. Are there any opportunities to fish for trout or sea salmon during this time?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2023, 12:43:35 PM »

I've sent you a private message.

Woody Debris

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2023, 01:00:51 PM »

I think your best chance to have a Canadian fishing experience would be on either the Squamish or Birkenhead Rivers which are relatively close to Whistler. Here you have a good chance to catch Bull trout, I believe the German for this species of fish is saibling and maybe steelhead in the Squamish. Steelhead is closest to Atlantic salmon available here. Bull trout are also a sea run fish. The Birkenhead has nice rainbow trout rather than steelhead.

These are mostly wild areas and it's best to hire a guide though there are some areas to fish the Squamish that are close to the towns there and easy to reach by car. If you are staying at a Hotel you can see of they can recommend a guide service though I have heard good things  about The Pemberton Fish Finder  & Chromer Sports. Usually the guides can provide tackle & gear plus pick up and drop off. Your guide should take you to the best place to fish for the time you are there.

Closer to Harrison Hot Springs there is some fishing available. There are small trout in a few lakes, particularly in Sasquatch Park which is about 1/2 hour drive though April may be too early. Also The Harrison River can provide trout but it is a very large river and requires a lot of walking and being there at the right time. There is also the Chehalis River.

If you can do a guided trip for Sturgeon from Harrison Hot Springs and the Bull trout/ Steelhead/ rainbow trout from  Whistler or even right from Vancouver.

You can buy fishing licenses on line: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/sports-culture/recreation/fishing-hunting/fishing/recreational-freshwater-fishing-licence
aka RalphH : Who are you? Personal Profile Reply #895

https://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=15.msg427645#msg427645

Chum Slayer

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2023, 05:30:24 PM »

I would recommend hiring a guide for either saltwater salmon fishing, a trout/steelhead trip on the Harrison River or lake fishing trip for rainbow trout. Each of these trips are very relaxing and enjoyable. They are also good if your bringing the family with you as there is consistent action and amazing scenery.

Roderick

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2023, 12:57:52 PM »

If you are staying at the Harrison Hot Springs Resort ( https://www.harrisonresort.com/activities/area-activities ) , which I definitely recommend, one of the fishing guide companies has an office right there in the hotel lobby.  They advertise for sturgeon, salmon, and trout (  https://bcsportfishinggroup.com ).   Salmon will not be around there in April, but it should be good for the others. 
You shoulda been here yesterday.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2023, 01:04:42 PM »

This is a video of sturgeon fishing with the guiding company that Roderick mentions
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8RGc2FXzROo