Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Skagit/Sumallo water levels  (Read 2434 times)

Dylb

Skagit/Sumallo water levels
« on: October 26, 2023, 04:04:06 PM »

Wondering if anyone can report on what the skagit/sumallo grove area water levels are like right now. Fishable or blown out?

Not sure what the rain situation has been outside of metro van

Thanks to anyone who can help!

SuperBobby

Re: Skagit/Sumallo water levels
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2023, 06:14:24 PM »

The Skagit is in perfect shape right now. The issue is access and you can't depend on getting surface action this late in the season. There are always some nice size fish this late in the season though.

clarki

• Old Timer

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2023, 06:12:03 PM »

by now and in this cold, most of the fish would have dropped down closer to Ross Lake. Apparently you can bike down there.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

redside1

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2023, 08:55:26 AM »

of course we all know the annual November 1 closure happens this Wednesday.
Only 1 more day to be there for 2023

SuperBobby

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2023, 10:51:34 AM »

by now and in this cold, most of the fish would have dropped down closer to Ross Lake. Apparently you can bike down there.

I'm not sure that matters considering that Ross lake almost never sees water on the Canadian side anymore. In fact there is 'several' miles of muddy hiking before you get to the lake, and you are undoubtedly a long way past the border.
It's true that there are less rainbow trout in the upper parts this late, but a fair number are still there. Sunny October days have been something I've done lots on the Skagit because no one is there and the fish are more relaxed. Not to mention, the Skagit valley quite often gives up a few grouse for dinner this time of year which aren't open during the summer.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2023, 10:02:47 PM »

I'm not sure that matters considering that Ross lake almost never sees water on the Canadian side anymore. In fact there is 'several' miles of muddy hiking before you get to the lake, and you are undoubtedly a long way past the border.
It's true that there are less rainbow trout in the upper parts this late, but a fair number are still there. Sunny October days have been something I've done lots on the Skagit because no one is there and the fish are more relaxed. Not to mention, the Skagit valley quite often gives up a few grouse for dinner this time of year which aren't open during the summer.
A sunny fall day, no crowds, trout and grouse. 

A fine way to spend a day!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2023, 07:53:53 AM »

Almost everyone fishing the Skagit this year and last have been  accessing the top end from Hwy 3. The few times I have been down there in the early fall trout were more or less absent. It's several miles walk from the access point to the bridge at Mile 26. There is a hydrographic station there and current water flow is about 1/4 meter per second...very low.  By now (it closes at midnight) most of the trout have dropped below the bridge to the area around Chittenington meadows and below. The trout population was well studied during the time the Ross dam was scheduled to be raised and flood the Canadian part of the valley. They don't stay in the river year round. So access is extremely difficult and the weather has been unseasonably cold. I'd expect the water temperature is below 9 degrees for most of the day.  Not much of a proposition for a day's fishing or even an overnighter. Where the head of Ross lake is at the moment I wasn't thinking about. It does normally pond across the border & Rod and others have posted videos about fishing the lake by boat. The road and the Park are supposed to re-open next next before July 1.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2023, 08:31:22 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

redside1

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2023, 03:36:17 PM »

The road is built and ready to go. Buddy has a key and has been driving in to fish it for the province. They province has been doing a few studies on the population for the past few years.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2023, 04:56:21 PM »

The road is built and ready to go. Buddy has a key and has been driving in to fish it for the province. They province has been doing a few studies on the population for the past few years.

Fishing a river that has seen nary an angler for 2 years? Cool gig!

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2023, 06:26:57 PM »

Are they studying the red sided shiner infestation in the lake?  That is a huge problem.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2023, 06:28:55 PM by Wiseguy »

redside1

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2023, 08:07:00 AM »

Are they studying the red sided shiner infestation in the lake?  That is a huge problem.

no, genetics and other population issues with the trout.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2023, 04:18:13 PM »

Population issues?

Clarki Hunter

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2023, 08:03:23 PM »

Bull trout population issues?