Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tidal Fraser salmon regulation about hooks for salmon fishing  (Read 1863 times)

standalone

Tidal Fraser salmon regulation about hooks for salmon fishing
« on: August 11, 2023, 09:01:03 AM »

read the regulations about hook, seems single barbless is not a must any more. since when it changed?

I checked 2021 DFO pink notification as well - FN0880-RECREATIONAL - Salmon - Tidal Waters of the Fraser River (29-11 to 29-17) - Pink Salmon Opportunities - Effective September 3, 2021

https://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=249849&ID=all

only barbless, not single barbless mentioned.

The reason I ask is some lures come with treble hook and difficult to replace. if I could keep it, I would.

My IQ is only 100, not high enough to understand the tidal water salmon regulations. please help.

canoeboy

• row row row my boat
Re: Tidal Fraser salmon regulation about hooks for salmon fishing
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2023, 09:15:40 AM »

Replacing the hooks isnt that hard, just use a pair of pliers to break the hook at the eye and then put on a new hook and clamp it closed? Also that notice is from last pink season, not sure if you were aware of that.

stsfisher

standalone

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2023, 04:33:21 PM »

https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/salmon-saumon-eng.html
hit the gear restriction heading

haven't answered the question "is treble barbless hook allowed in Tidal fraser for salmon fishing"

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2023, 05:37:50 PM »

haven't answered the question "is treble barbless hook allowed in Tidal fraser for salmon fishing"

no trebles hooks allowed.

In certain tidal portions of coastal rivers and other specific areas, special management measures are in place requiring a barbless hook having only 1 point (i.e. a treble hook may not be used), and/or the hook to be a certain size. Check the regulations for the area you are fishing before you go, including the Conditions of Licence.

29-6 to 29-10    Gear Restriction    Single and treble barbless hooks acceptable. (but not 29-11 to 17 only single hooks)

the regs are a confusing mess but the single barbless hook regulation has been in place for 29-11 to 17 for many years to make it consistent with the Provincial regulations above the Mission Bridge.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2023, 05:49:53 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

fossil

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2023, 09:36:35 PM »

dfo website sucks. it used to be very clear in regulation that “single barbless hook” must be used for salmon fishing in tidal section of Fraser. But now, treble hook can he used based on the regulation AND fishery notice...

no trebles hooks allowed.

In certain tidal portions of coastal rivers and other specific areas, special management measures are in place requiring a barbless hook having only 1 point (i.e. a treble hook may not be used), and/or the hook to be a certain size. Check the regulations for the area you are fishing before you go, including the Conditions of Licence.

29-6 to 29-10    Gear Restriction    Single and treble barbless hooks acceptable. (but not 29-11 to 17 only single hooks)

the regs are a confusing mess but the single barbless hook regulation has been in place for 29-11 to 17 for many years to make it consistent with the Provincial regulations above the Mission Bridge.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2023, 10:58:29 PM »

DFO regulations are confusing at best.

stsfisher

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2023, 06:33:41 AM »

Try finding the answer yourself. Answers on a forum are not reliable. Learn how to navigate the regulations, the answer is there. If you can't find the answer you can always contact the nearest office for clarification.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2023, 08:26:45 AM »

dfo website sucks. it used to be very clear in regulation that “single barbless hook” must be used for salmon fishing in tidal section of Fraser. But now, treble hook can he used based on the regulation AND fishery notice...

the Notes: section of the Fisheries bulletins for Salmon are always the same and simply list the basic regulations for salmon fishing. The changes are listed in the Waters and the Management Measures section.

On the Gear Restrictions page for Salmon fishing the following statement is listed:

A treble barbless hook is acceptable in most tidal water areas, except as noted below:

https://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=249849&ID=all

Most rivers are not open to salmon fishing and most do not have specific tidal portions above the statutory 'mouths' of the river so unless the Notice specifically varies the regulation to allow barbless trebles, they are not allowed.

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.