Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rainbow or steelhead?? Chilliwack river  (Read 3523 times)

cohoaaron

Rainbow or steelhead?? Chilliwack river
« on: July 30, 2023, 04:06:12 PM »

I was fishing the chilliwack river july 28 Friday and i caught and released a beauty Rainbow , about 5 pounds. It had a miss-clipped adipose fin (if i remember correctly) and was a beauty chromer. It hit hard and right in the fast riffles. I will post a picture when my buddy sends them to me. But what do you think? Ive read that chilliwack river doesn’t have summer steelies . Thanks.

typhoon

• Old Timer
Re: Rainbow or steelhead?? Chilliwack river
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2023, 04:27:04 PM »

Possibly a stray from the Chehalis.
I’ve seen summer Steelies in the Vedder hatchery before.

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2023, 06:43:50 PM »

.....could also be residual non migrated smolt or possibly  a lake drop down.....buddy got a 18 incher a couple of weeks ago....and I tussled with a couple 14 to 16 inches last week....buddy landed 5 pounder a few years ago....
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2023, 06:45:37 PM »

a 5lb residual would be a very old fish.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

cohoaaron

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2023, 06:59:12 PM »

Thanks for the input so far guys,  i will check back in tomorrow with a pic hopefully (i will get the pic sooner or later)

chardeemacdenis

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2023, 07:29:53 AM »

The Vedder does have summer run steelhead, but none produced by the hatchery.

None that we know of anyway...
Fishing isn't catching

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2023, 08:39:15 AM »

The Vedder does have summer run steelhead, but none produced by the hatchery.

can you confirm this?

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2023, 12:04:28 PM »

I will admit two years ago on September fourth when I was fishing a bit past the crossing I saw a 10-15 lb fish swim by the pool I was fishing. The fish had a silver body and a distinct very rosy red cheek. To me it looked like a massive steelhead buck which I had a hard time believing but I guess it is possible as the timing matches with summer steel and I can't think of any other fish that it could have been. Definitely was not a sockeye. I vividly remember that red patch swimming by and being a bit flabbergasted as it scooted past my bobber and swam by not even 2 meters away from me. Believe me I almost jumped in  ;D
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

Phronesis

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2023, 08:27:17 PM »

not sure the size of the trout/steelhead in this video but looks like good size - https://youtu.be/_qiWzSOiwIY?t=185

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2023, 11:43:37 AM »

To my knowledge there are no indigenous summer steelhead in the Vedder.  For sure , steelhead are occasionally caught in the summer but these are thought to be strays.  Don't ask me how I know ( ;D) but there used to be 5-7 lb rainbows in the upper, closed section of the river, and no doubt there are still a few of those left.
Fwiw, the earliest steelhead I have seen caught in Vedder was Oct 12, the latest unspawned steelhead was May 26

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2023, 12:13:07 PM »

To my knowledge there are no indigenous summer steelhead in the Vedder.  For sure , steelhead are occasionally caught in the summer but these are thought to be strays.  Don't ask me how I know ( ;D) but there used to be 5-7 lb rainbows in the upper, closed section of the river, and no doubt there are still a few of those left.
Fwiw, the earliest steelhead I have seen caught in Vedder was Oct 12, the latest unspawned steelhead was May 26

it would be nice to have some catch and release trout fishing there. But I think they already have enough trouble enforcing the rules on the open portion
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

jim

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2023, 05:23:05 AM »

i caught a steelhead or so I thought in Dec. of 2022. it was dark and skinny, about 4 lbs. It took a spoon in the middle of the pool below the crossing. the only other that I've seen was 3 years ago, in Sept. below keith wilson bridge. again skinny, but not dark.

canoeboy

• row row row my boat
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2023, 03:49:57 PM »

I myself last year caught a chrome steelhead mid September on the vedder while looking for early coho. I was told stray from coq most likely. I'm not an expert but sounds like there might be a small possibility of a summer run on the vedder perhaps cause by all the strays?

SuperBobby

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2023, 04:26:36 PM »

Thanks for the input so far guys,  i will check back in tomorrow with a pic hopefully (i will get the pic sooner or later)

When are we getting the pic?

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2023, 07:45:39 PM »

3 years in a row, I caught summer steelhead in the upper Vedder in mid to late December. All were wild. One was large and looked like an interior stray (blunted face), the other two were 8-10 pounds. 2016 was the last one. Outside of that I've only gotten 1 in the summer time. They happen, but they are rare.

My opinion is that it's far more likely a large resident. I've never seen so many large resident trout as I have this year, especially mid river. Most of mine have been wild. They've been incredibly well fed and fat too. I'd post a photo or two, but I can't remember how to do it anymore! Lots in the 14-16 inch range, and a few over 20 inches now. I've also noticed a good number of quite large whitefish, and even caught some juvenile bulls 6-8 inches that I've never seen before! Good time to be a resident trout/char/ whitefish in the Vedder it seems.