Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rant - New PST rules on Used Vehicles - BC Tax Grab  (Read 8965 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Rant - New PST rules on Used Vehicles - BC Tax Grab
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2023, 01:42:36 PM »

here is the list of PST exempt goods and products for BC:

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/taxes/sales-taxes/pst/exemptions

In some cases provincial sales tax (PST) doesn't need to be paid on purchases or leases. The following exemptions are available to everyone and don't require any documentation:

Food for human consumption (e.g. basic groceries and prepared food such as restaurant meals)
    Books, newspapers and magazines
    Children-sized clothing
    Bicycles
    Prescription medications and household medical aids such as cough syrup and pain medications

Other exemptions are available in certain circumstances and may require documentation. These include exemptions for:

Health and medical products, and equipment for persons with disabilities (PDF, 606KB)
    Adult-sized clothing and footwear for kids under 15 years of age (PDF, 279KB)
    School supplies for students (PDF, 292KB)
    Safety equipment and protective clothing (PDF, 317KB)
    Farming, fertilizers, fishing and aquaculture (PDF, 606KB)
    Purchases by First Nations individuals and bands on reserve land (PDF, 390KB)
    Goods purchased for resale or lease (PDF, 368KB)
    Used zero-emission vehicles (PDF, 398KB)

a good reason not to exempt used goods is to not distort or bias the market. Pretty standard advice from economists I figure!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2023, 11:34:19 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

SuperBobby

« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2023, 02:19:50 PM »

No.

I will note that very few people ever directly collect on their life insurance either. I've never collected on my fire insurance. I hope i never do.

Of course you wouldn't answer it, because my example is an open and shut case of absolute corruption with zero ethics.
Your examples are of voluntary insurance. My example was of forced to pay insurance whether you want it or not. I'm surprised anyone would try to pull that as a fair comparison because it isn't. But that is what you do.

I don't understand you Ralph. Going by many of your posts that I've read, you are like a carbon copy of Justin Trudeau. (not a compliment)
You don't care that our governments have no ethics
You don't care that our governments discriminate between demographics.
You don't even care that our governments are morally bankrupt and completely corrupt. You always stick up for them no matter how immoral and corrupt they are.
Your posts show that you don't care if the Canadian people are even treated fairly.
You don't even defend your fellow fishermen either. I've seen many on here ask for some fairness/equality in our fisheries and you shut them down. Shame on you.

I'll take a crack at it.  I doubt my response will in any way sway your "the government is corrupt" mindset, but I have a few comments...

Your question was "Are you going to tell me that is legal to force someone to pay insurance for something they can never collect on?"

Yes, it's a 100% legal given the provisions in the Employment Insurance Act. Is it fair or right? That's a whole different conversation, but is is legal? Absolutely.

Well apparently everything the government does is legal now because they just change the laws when it suits their purpose (as you yourself pointed out earlier). If you don't see an ethics problem with that, then you can't be helped.

It's not entirely accurate to say that your son will never get those premiums back and he is locked out of collecting.
Presuming your son was working after 2016, he would need to work 420 insurable hours to be eligible for EI. Can a high school student accumulate 420 working hours during a 10 month school year. It's possible...

True, your son couldn't collect EI if he lost his job between Sept and June, but what happens if he lost the job in July. Then he could collect. Sure there is a 10 month period of ineligibility during the school year but those hours worked do count towards insurable hours in the 52 week eligibility period and he could put those insurable hours towards a future claim. Not entirely correct to say that he's locked out or could never collect. Given the circumstances, he could collect on those premiums.

My son has more then enough weeks to qualify. The fact is that someone not in school full time in the same situation would be able to collect if laid off. My son in school cannot collect even though he qualifies in every other way. Whether or not he gets laid off in June or July is a crap shoot. 1 month difference in the layoff date could be the difference of losing or gaining about $7 grand. Do you seriously NOT see a problem with that? The idea of forcing someone to pay into an insurance policy that is uncollectable when needed is absolutely ludicrous. Its immoral and corrupt beyond measure. To say it plainly....it's 'STEALING'....it's THEFT. It might be legal, but that is the government we have. They legalize stealing when it suits their purpose.

There's a school of thought that making EI difficult/impossible for high school students to collect is a good thing as it reduces a learned dependence on the system. It think there is some value in that. Same reasoning why the province makes it so "difficult" for an underage person to receive income assistance/welfare.

This comment on high school students becoming dependent holds no water. Are you going to say the ethics tendency of a grade 12 student is going to be much different than a 19 year old full time not in school. Work ethic have nothing to do with age. You either have it or you don't. Sorry....but this point of yours doesn't work at all.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2023, 03:44:25 PM »

Of course you wouldn't answer it, because my example is an open and shut case of absolute corruption with zero ethics.

::). Excessive exaggeration and falsehoods are examples of zero ethics so you are just a black pot looking for a black kettle.

I didn't answer your question as it wasn't related to topic which was about PST on used vehicles. You just shift between x and y to suit your purpose whatever it may be.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

SuperBobby

« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2023, 04:12:54 PM »

::). Excessive exaggeration and falsehoods are examples of zero ethics so you are just a black pot looking for a black kettle.

Please point out any falsehoods I made. I just told the truth that you aren't interested in hearing like usual.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2023, 04:48:06 PM »

Please point out any falsehoods I made...

...here you go.

You don't care that our governments have no ethics
You don't care that our governments discriminate between demographics.
You don't even care that our governments are morally bankrupt and completely corrupt. You always stick up for them no matter how immoral and corrupt they are.
Your posts show that you don't care if the Canadian people are even treated fairly.
You don't even defend your fellow fishermen either. I've seen many on here ask for some fairness/equality in our fisheries and you shut them down.

...and now you are trying to bully me because I declined to answer your question and help you expand your posts into an endless serious of rants and personal attacks on my character.

Shame on who?

SuperBobby

« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2023, 05:33:50 PM »

...here you go.

...and now you are trying to bully me because I declined to answer your question and help you expand your posts into an endless serious of rants and personal attacks on my character.

Shame on who?

Um....those aren't falsehoods. I've seen hundreds of your posts that back up what I said.

Roderick

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2023, 07:12:26 PM »

....it's 'STEALING'....it's THEFT. It might be legal, but that is the government we have. They legalize stealing when it suits their purpose.

And you are just coming to this conclusion now?  Every single government world wide, for 6 thousand years or more, has levied taxes on their people.  Historically, most of the time those taxes went to the military and the taxpayers got nothing in return (see North Korea for a current example). 

Get over it.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 07:15:57 PM by Roderick »
You shoulda been here yesterday.

SuperBobby

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2023, 07:28:50 PM »

And you are just coming to this conclusion now?  Every single government world wide, for 6 thousand years or more, has levied taxes on their people.  Historically, most of the time those taxes went to the military and the taxpayers got nothing in return (see North Korea for a current example). 

Get over it.

I never once even suggested that we shouldn't pay taxes.

Sorry, but some of us still desire a country where leadership has ethics and morals.
Sometimes I shake my head how JT keeps getting voted in.
Then I read posts like yours and Ralph's and it all makes sense.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 07:38:57 PM by SuperBobby »

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2023, 07:46:04 PM »

The antagonism toward Ralph just picks up where it left off a couple of years ago.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2023, 08:09:30 PM »

The antagonism toward Ralph just picks up where it left off a couple of years ago.
this is why we should stick to talking about fishing.. we are all here because of our love of fish and fishing
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

Phronesis

« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2023, 10:53:41 PM »

Same goes for the property transfer tax. Every time a house/property is sold, the buyer pays the tax. Doesn't matter how old the home and property is, how many times it's been sold before, the gov't collects the tax.  The federal gov't also recently passed legislation that online sellers need to collect tax. So if you are flipping used goods on eBay, your buyers pay the tax. Doesn't matter how many times that item has been bought and re-sold over the course of its' life.

I'm not an expert in taxation by any stretch of the imagination, but I think it's fair to say that you aren't paying tax on an item, you are paying tax on an activity (buying/selling). The item is just used to calculate the tax owed.

For goods that lose value over time, it just does not make sense to keep collecting tax.........

If its the transaction - buying and selling action that gets counted then tax should be collected from many transactions on craigslist and fb marketplace - there are many expensive items too, but its harder to enforce, so govt willingly turned a blind eye? people doing intraday trading should be paying lots of taxes (ofcourse they incur losses too) but if they make crazy profits they can get away with it, thanks to tax loopholes on stock trading.

I totally understand for assets that makes profit, you tax on that profit - with the property example here, when its sold and if you make a profit, you should pay tax on that profit and not the entire purchase price - just like stocks or gold, why is it different for different commodity

just because its been going on for years does not make it "right"

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2023, 08:45:41 AM »

Um....those aren't falsehoods. I've seen hundreds of your posts that back up what I said.

that's in your mind. In your mind every opinion of yours, no matter how hair brained, is a moral truth as if you have some sort of lock on morals and values.

BTW re: your ironic comments about "fellow fishermen". LOL. Bank maggots no longer?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2023, 01:36:16 PM by RalphH »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2023, 09:13:09 AM »

For goods that lose value over time, it just does not make sense to keep collecting tax.........

If its the transaction - buying and selling action that gets counted then tax should be collected from many transactions on craigslist and fb marketplace - there are many expensive items too, but its harder to enforce, so govt willingly turned a blind eye? people doing intraday trading should be paying lots of taxes (ofcourse they incur losses too) but if they make crazy profits they can get away with it, thanks to tax loopholes on stock trading.

I totally understand for assets that makes profit, you tax on that profit - with the property example here, when its sold and if you make a profit, you should pay tax on that profit and not the entire purchase price - just like stocks or gold, why is it different for different commodity

just because its been going on for years does not make it "right"

well there is bound to be problems with any taxation approach. It turns out, I have found, that PST on used vehicles is 12% which is higher than the PST on new vehicles under $55k which is 7%. Since GST doesn't apply to used personal property the Province is just picking up the extra 5% the Feds charge on new vehicles. However I'd also note that EVs are tax exempt. Tax policy is being used to further government and social goals. Likewise with the use of an average to set the transfer price for tax (FWIW the Income tax also has rules for transfer values for tax purposes).  Absolute averages often don't exist in the real world. Blue book values also include condition of the car such as does it have body damage or need new brakes and tires - yada yada. However the gov't willaccept an independent valuation of the vehicle and if that does just cost $150 then the recovery value of that amount is $1,250 ($150/12%). That's not bad! I would think that someone who buys a vehicle with obvious problems knows something about it. A lot of mechanic and service shops can assess a used vehicle for any required or recommended maintenance.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 05:08:15 PM by RalphH »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2023, 09:22:05 AM »

Sometimes I shake my head how JT keeps getting voted in.
Then I read posts like yours and Ralph's and it all makes sense.

LOL! That's so funny. Trudeau gets blamed for everything! ( 'Everything seems broken!')He had and has nothing to do with the PST! He wasn't even in politics when BC first scrapped the PST and then brought it back 2 years later!

As I mentioned above the Provincial Liberals dumped the PST to join the HST system. There was such a backlash that Gordon Campbell resigned and left politics and there was a referendum on the PST vs the HST. The people of BC overwhelming voted the PST back in as it was before it was wound down.

https://ballotpedia.org/British_Columbia_HST_Referendum,_2011

How did you vote or did you?

The Globe and Mail called the PST " A Profoundly Stupid Tax!"

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/small-business/sb-money/why-pst-in-bc-marks-return-of-a-profoundly-stupid-tax/article10854872/
« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 10:09:28 AM by RalphH »

SuperBobby

« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2023, 10:47:52 AM »

LOL! That's so funny. Trudeau gets blamed for everything! ( 'Everything seems broken!')He had and has nothing to do with the PST! He wasn't even in politics when BC first scrapped the PST and then brought it back 2 years later!

As I mentioned above the Provincial Liberals dumped the PST to join the HST system. There was such a backlash that Gordon Campbell resigned and left politics and there was a referendum on the PST vs the HST. The people of BC overwhelming voted the PST back in as it was before it was wound down.

https://ballotpedia.org/British_Columbia_HST_Referendum,_2011

How did you vote or did you?

The Globe and Mail called the PST " A Profoundly Stupid Tax!"

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/small-business/sb-money/why-pst-in-bc-marks-return-of-a-profoundly-stupid-tax/article10854872/

There you go again changing the subject and sidestepping the issue at hand. I never implied for a second that JT had anything to do with the PST. You are more like him then you realize. Always trying to deflect negative attention...which is what you did there.

My original post in this thread was not to engage you anyways. Most people here stopped engaging in conversation with you a long time ago, but I'm pretty sure you haven't noticed that yet.
Most regular common folk don't want to be friends with people who are always defending corrupt and unethical governments, judges, and lawmakers, but that's what you do.
I should know better than to engage with you in conversation.