Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Byrne Creek fish Kill  (Read 1687 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Byrne Creek fish Kill
« on: January 28, 2023, 12:24:16 PM »

an apparent dump or release of chemicals into Byrne Creek in Burnaby has killed hundreds of Coho parr and cutthroat trout.

Byrne Creek runs off the south slope of Burnaby, originating near the Edmonds Skytrain station and enters the Fraser at the Burnaby Foreshore Park at the foot of Byrne road.

Fish kills are common and seem to becoming increasingly so despite efforts to inform the public of the hazards of dumping material down near by street drains. It currently supports chum as well as coho while the trout are mostly resident. The salmon had previously been wiped out by about 1970 though efforts have been underway to reintroduce them About 70 spawning adults of both species were observed this fall. The eggs may have been affected as well. It's really a prime example of how difficult it is for any urban stream to continue to support fish populations. I walk the stream regularly and have not infrequently seen the creek in a grey foul smelling condition, obviously due to some sort of spill. Last year an accidental release of 43,000 thousand liters of milk turned the creek white though damage to fish appeared minimal.

https://burnabybeacon.com/p/fish-found-dead-byrne-creek
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Darko

• Old Timer
Re: Byrne Creek fish Kill
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2023, 12:57:15 PM »

feels like this happens every year... so sad to see our local stream have to go through this so often. The  construction on Salisbury likely did have some runoff, definitely not out of the question.
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2023, 04:50:21 PM »

Ugh, so depressing. I thought this was an old topic, as this isn't the first time in recent memory there's been a spill there >:(

cammer

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2023, 05:36:31 PM »

I deal with spills every day at work in the neighbouring city to Burnaby !  Hopefully their Env Dept is able to positively trace this source to owner and throw huge fines at them and have that go to re establishing this stream !  Fish kills are not common in most spills so they get A LOT OF MEDIA ATTENTION .  It’s a frustrating job when u can’t find a source and you have upside down fingerlings, urban creeks really have it bad

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2023, 10:16:55 PM »

I deal with spills every day at work in the neighbouring city to Burnaby !  Hopefully their Env Dept is able to positively trace this source to owner and throw huge fines at them and have that go to re establishing this stream !  Fish kills are not common in most spills so they get A LOT OF MEDIA ATTENTION .  It’s a frustrating job when u can’t find a source and you have upside down fingerlings, urban creeks really have it bad

would you mind sharing more info on common spills, where they come from, effects ect? Would be great to know what's effecting us here locally and thanks in advance

cammer

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2023, 03:11:15 PM »

Common spills in an urban environments are mostly made up of construction-based activities, such as paint, drywall compound, concrete wash, sediment pumping,concrete sealant etc. Other types of spills such as oil, diesel, hydraulic fluid, coolant etc come from the roadways and lead into our catch basins. The worst is when you have someone dumping direct directly Into the catch basin a chemical that reaches a creek very fast. At my workplace, we’ve developed software to maximize the response time to a spill by highlighting its catchment area, which allows us to concentrate quickly on the defined area.  Stream keepers and public by far are the quickest source as they call immediately as they walk creeks

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2023, 05:49:45 PM »

Common spills in an urban environments are mostly made up of construction-based activities, such as paint, drywall compound, concrete wash, sediment pumping,concrete sealant etc. Other types of spills such as oil, diesel, hydraulic fluid, coolant etc come from the roadways and lead into our catch basins. The worst is when you have someone dumping direct directly Into the catch basin a chemical that reaches a creek very fast. At my workplace, we’ve developed software to maximize the response time to a spill by highlighting its catchment area, which allows us to concentrate quickly on the defined area.  Stream keepers and public by far are the quickest source as they call immediately as they walk creeks
thank you for sharing! If you are hiring for entry level position, let me know I might be interested