Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Roller Clutch Diawa Luna 253  (Read 1362 times)

fishman1

Roller Clutch Diawa Luna 253
« on: January 22, 2023, 07:27:49 PM »

Was out steelhead fishing this weekend using my Luna 253 and was getting slippage on the anti reverse mechanism (could reel backwards for a little).  Problem intermittent but a pain in the butt non the less.  I think its the roller clutch (AR bearing).  Anyone replaced theirs?  I already have the reel apart and was going to call Mikes Reel Repair and see what they have but thought I'd check for any recommendations on a replacement bearing.

Thanks in advance

BTW - no fish this weekend

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
Re: Roller Clutch Diawa Luna 253
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2023, 08:28:34 PM »

I had the exact same problem back in 2012 (or was it 2013?). The worst is when you have a fish on and the reel starts to free spool! I've taken the anti-reverse bearing out and cleaned it. I can't remember if I just used WD40 or isopropyl alcohol? That seems to have done the trick - mind you I don't use my Luna 253 very much anymore. I use it on the odd occasion for springs and it's held up well since.

So, you can try and clean it out. And as you mentioned, check out Mike's Reel Repair to see if they have the replacement part. You can try and do a search for the part number (F55-2703) online and you should find this:

https://www.mikesreelrepair.com/f55-2703-roller-clutch-nla/

The Luna is a great reel, but my issues with the anti-reverse bearing has soured my experience with it a bit. I tend to use my Calcutta 200B as my go-to, or my centrepin set-up. Good luck!

EDIT: Whoops! Looks like the part is no longer available? Maybe see if they can recommend an alternative or upgrade?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 08:30:38 PM by FlyFishin Magician »

wallygator24

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2023, 09:06:20 PM »

I had that same issue with my Calcutta 250.  The part was no longer being made.  I was able to find the bearing on EBAY and got my reel fixed.  Good luck with your reel.  Mikes reel repair is great.  I have had him service several of my reels.

fishman1

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2023, 12:10:20 PM »

Thanks guys.  Mikes has some left in stock so I'll replace it and see how it goes.

Maybe I'll upgrade the bearings while I'm at it. 

The reel has been great so far. 

fishman1

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2023, 11:29:00 AM »

Well I replaced the roller clutch. Works great now.  Tip , don't put too much grease on it as it won't work LOL.  Drier is better I think.  Also put new hybrid ceramic bearings in it from Mike's Reel Repair.  Man what a difference.  Reel is sooo smooth and fast now.  Time to give it a trial run. 

Tight lines

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2023, 08:54:47 AM »

Excellent. Glad to hear things worked out. When I think about it, yes, the drier/cleaner the roller clutch bearing - the better! Thanks for circling back and letting us know the results!