Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Boxing Day Derby  (Read 16213 times)

mikeyman

Re: Boxing Day Derby
« Reply #75 on: January 02, 2023, 02:01:25 PM »

Was talking to this Brian Guy the day of derby. Was calling him out inquiring on the suspect fish and video and pictures and false posts of past. I was trying to be diplomatic about it. His response. Oh what is your IQ so low you can't figure out a joke. I was joking. You don't know anything about steelheading. Got very defensive on videos and visibilty that day and that there are lots of colored bucks this time of year. Ya OK bud. I have many pictures examples of early steel on vedder they are all chrome fresher than fresh. His fish had dull scales and limp fins. It looked thawed out If you ever froze a fish whole then defrosted it. That what it looked like. So he defended that the clarity was good until 11 am which it wasn't. I asked if he was fighting a rock fish in that choppy faked video. Then started childishly calling me names. So I just ended by saying if it is a good fish then good for you. But if you cheated then most shameful disrespectful thing. Derby isn't about winning. It's about raising funds getting out for a day being part of a tradition and maybe u get lucky. Inclusion and not deterring others from attending like you have done. You have no credibility. Some deserve to win. You aren't one of them.

Now he completely disappeared off social media. But sure he will be back under some other name.

LOL!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 02:04:43 PM by mikeyman »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #76 on: January 02, 2023, 02:58:14 PM »

It's best to engage with such people as little as possible.

If the fish looked like it had spent a week or more in the freezer, it makes me wonder why this wasn't questioned at the weigh in. It's called due diligence.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #77 on: January 03, 2023, 05:04:35 PM »

Comic relief

A job interview with a sociopath:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTIfU4zMQWY
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #78 on: January 03, 2023, 09:58:29 PM »

No doubt the cheat returns under a different name. Do we even know if the fraudster name is Brian Mirea? Maybe it’s a fake name as well for all we know.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #79 on: January 04, 2023, 10:45:01 AM »

Are you a Sociopath? Take the test!

https://www.idrlabs.com/3-minute-sociopathy/test.php

I did and scored very low...in the green. Pretty hard not to pass.

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #80 on: January 04, 2023, 02:19:51 PM »

Wonder what this guy's handle is on here?
It ain't the roe bro'

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #81 on: January 04, 2023, 07:44:19 PM »

It's like the person who is unfaithful to their spouse and says "I had an affair". Isn't that a nice politically correct way to explain what they did. What they really did is commit 'adultery', but when was the last time you heard someone say "I committed adultery"? Probably never. Society has softened the terms/words of the evil they do to make it more palatable for the masses. 

When people start calling out evil with the correct words/terms, then.....maybe the people doing that evil will stop being so calloused to it.
Funny post. 
You preach that we should be calling a spade a spade, yet at the same time you state that every affair is adultery and label cheating in a fishing derby and having an affair as "evil" acts.
That's where your post loses all validity.
FYI, having an affair in NOT the same as committing adultery and is seldom used as an argument in divorce proceedings.
As a matter of fact, if you cheat on your wife you are indeed "having an affair", not committing adultery. It only becomes adultery if your spouse hires a lawyer to divorce you on the grounds of your infidelity. So of course nobody "commits adultery". Having an affair can entail much more than having sex with people outside your marriage. There are platonic, non sexual affairs that even legally cannot qualify as adultery, as much as some lawyers and angry partners would like them to.
So yes, I think it is actually quite important to call things out for what they really are and not dump everything in the same basket like you do.
But there are differences (sometimes large, sometime just nuances) that help us distinguish between the ugly and the evil. Failing to take those differences into account would make us no better than some rabid medieval inquisition court.
A misguided young man cheating his way into winning a fishing derby might be wrong, childish, stupid, disappointing, even ugly, but "evil" it is not.
If you think it is, you really have no clue what "evil" really means.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #82 on: January 04, 2023, 10:28:09 PM »

Nice one Milo. Thanks!

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #83 on: January 06, 2023, 08:29:04 AM »

Agreed Ralph! And welcome to the bank!!! LOL.  ;D

SuperBobby

« Reply #84 on: January 06, 2023, 10:55:29 AM »

Funny post. 
You preach that we should be calling a spade a spade, yet at the same time you state that every affair is adultery and label cheating in a fishing derby and having an affair as "evil" acts.
FYI, having an affair in NOT the same as committing adultery and is seldom used as an argument in divorce proceedings.
As a matter of fact, if you cheat on your wife you are indeed "having an affair", not committing adultery. It only becomes adultery if your spouse hires a lawyer to divorce you on the grounds of your infidelity. So of course nobody "commits adultery". Having an affair can entail much more than having sex with people outside your marriage. There are platonic, non sexual affairs that even legally cannot qualify as adultery, as much as some lawyers and angry partners would like them to.
So yes, I think it is actually quite important to call things out for what they really are and not dump everything in the same basket like you do.
But there are differences (sometimes large, sometime just nuances) that help us distinguish between the ugly and the evil. Failing to take those differences into account would make us no better than some rabid medieval inquisition court.
A misguided young man cheating his way into winning a fishing derby might be wrong, childish, stupid, disappointing, even ugly, but "evil" it is not.

Oh believe me I know what 'evil' really means.
I was going to go over your post point by point, but your comments on 'adultery vs affair' are so far gone that it is blatantly obvious you have no idea about anything to do with morality.
I will leave you with this. Next time you look outside or read the news, etc, etc...and see all the things wrong in the world today....just go back to this post of yours and you will have all the answers you need.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #85 on: January 06, 2023, 11:11:47 AM »

I think one of Milo's points was that adultery is a legal concept with a precise meaning. in many US states adultery is illegal.  Adultery is also quite common & depending on the community and the study, varies from about 10% of married adults to around 50. The difference between men and women has narrowed in the last decades. Also worth keeping in mind that these numbers only reflect the responses of married people who admit to it. Actual numbers are likely higher.

bj23

« Reply #86 on: January 06, 2023, 11:27:16 AM »

I think one of Milo's points was that adultery is a legal concept with a precise meaning. in many US states adultery is illegal.  Adultery is also quite common & depending on the community and the study, varies from about 10% of married adults to around 50. The difference between men and women has narrowed in the last decades. Also worth keeping in mind that these numbers only reflect the responses of married people who admit to it. Actual numbers are likely higher.

Everyone ready for the Derby?! We are discussing rigging a fishing derby here, not philosophical lectures and legalities on affairs. Sharpen those hooks!

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #87 on: January 06, 2023, 01:59:53 PM »

Oh believe me I know what 'evil' really means.

For your own good, I hope you don't. At least not firsthand.

Given that you've publicly labelled me amoral, there is not much more for me to say, except that you are obviously judgmental, and as such undeserving of my second thought. Have a good day, whatever it is that makes it a good one in your highly moral world.

bj23 is right. Let's focus on the derby. Hopefully no one stuffs their catch with led this year.

chardeemacdenis

« Reply #88 on: January 06, 2023, 04:45:08 PM »

bj23 is right. Let's focus on the derby. Hopefully no one stuffs their catch with led this year.

Here here.

I've been fishing pretty hard and have yet to touch a fish. Lower river is looking better and better though. If the worst of the rain holds off it should be fine fishing next weekend.
Fishing isn't catching

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #89 on: January 06, 2023, 07:28:41 PM »

Funny post. 

i normally have a witty response to milo but sometimes a picture is worth a 1000 words.