Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder Steelhead  (Read 6766 times)

Chum Slayer

Vedder Steelhead
« on: December 18, 2022, 10:57:27 PM »

Hey everyone, as you all know by now the first few fish of the Vedder River steelhead derby have been caught, which leads me to my question what are your guy's go-to gear/rigs for steelhead? I use a clear drift or Freds/DNE foam 20-gram and 25 grams floats with sliding weights or split shot, then I use a dual lock swivel to change out my leaders. On the business side of things, I like small soft beads, wool, worms, and two secret baits I call the buck hunter and doe hunter.

Merry Christmas to all Chum Slayer

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Re: Vedder Steelhead
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2022, 11:49:21 AM »

Personally can't stand clear drift style floats. One good smack on a rock and they crack and fill with water. However, I do believe in fishing whatever gives you confidence, so if they give you that fishy feeling, then you should fish them. I prefer DNE or cork floats.
I am a huge fan of the duo-lock system. I typically have a blue foam leader board in my chest pocket with 6 or so pretied rigs with swivels on them. I will change up what is on the leader board depending on the water conditions (size, color). Generally I'm a fan of soft beads 12-20mm, rubber worms, jigs, and of course spawn sacks. Depending on the run and what kind of mood I'm in I'll switch up my presentation. If it's a super fishy run, I'll go through it a 2nd or even 3rd time with a different presentation. Super quick and easy with the duo lock system.
Downside of the duo-lock quick change system is it is one more thing to foul up/fail. Before I chuck a cast I take a quick look at it as from time to time the swivel will get wrapped up in the duo-lock and needs to be sorted out. For me, cost/benefit wise, this quick change system is the only way to go. Buddy of mine who does quite well for steel pretty much fishes skein roe or roe bags, so it makes more sense for him to skip the duo lock and just use a barrel swivel between the mainline and leader.
I like the look of 3 big split shot (about 22-23g) above my swivel, although I do not think it matters one bit to the fish. Just gives me confidence. Buddy who is a steelhead slayer uses the rubber tubing and pencil lead system, which I can't stand the look of.
End of the day fish what you have confidence in and the floats will start dropping.

chardeemacdenis

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2022, 10:48:36 AM »

Put a shift in this morning on the lower river. Still a lot of volume and there are very few fishable runs, but its shaping up. Just need some fish to push in.
Fishing isn't catching

blueback

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2022, 04:00:40 PM »

Put a shift in this morning on the lower river. Still a lot of volume and there are very few fishable runs, but its shaping up. Just need some fish to push in.
Thanks for the update; I'd give you a thumbs up if I could!

chardeemacdenis

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2023, 04:46:15 PM »

Had my 8 y/o son with me today and I was complementing him on his progress and determination. He said "I'm just trying to get my thousand casts in Dad". He's learning quick.

Saw two hit the beach today, but nothin for us.
Fishing isn't catching

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2023, 07:20:35 PM »

Most steelhead bite the first cast.

sockeyed

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2023, 06:52:20 PM »

What leader length for beads and pink worms?

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2023, 10:56:49 AM »

Most steelhead bite the first cast.

Well yes if you can find them

bobby b

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2023, 05:12:14 PM »

What leader length for beads and pink worms?

I usually run about a 16-18” leader. I might shorten up a bit in faster flows …. 12”

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2023, 05:53:09 PM »

I usually run about a 16-18” leader. I might shorten up a bit in faster flows …. 12”

And you may want to go with a bit longer leaders (24-30") and smaller presentations in very clear water conditions.

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2023, 06:29:18 PM »

......worms need a longish leader to work their wiggle......
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

chardeemacdenis

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2023, 05:45:07 PM »

Nothing.

Fishing isn't catching

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2023, 12:06:59 PM »

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2023, 03:55:46 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3qUMhg_tzY
loved the video, hopefully will put everything I've learned to work next week, kinda worried with the amount of rain in the forecast next week though. Wouldn't wanna go to a blown out river.
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

jim

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2023, 07:29:19 AM »

I had a good day fishing yesterday.
In the morning, I hooked 2 fish, bottom bouncing a 12 gram slinky with a
#10 corkie/wool combo c/w oil on the wool, I almost landed the first but the hook came out near shore, but landed the 2nd fish and released as it was a wild one. It had a maxillary bone on the left side of the mouth that was folded over and into its mouth, an injury from years ago.
 Then, in the late afternoon a guy across got a hatchery fish on a pink/yellow worm fished straight, so i got out the float rod and in a similar location got a nice sized wild on a white worm/colorful corkie combo. not the same area of this run that produced in the morning!
after releasing this last fish, it stuck its head in the rip rap boulders and just lay there breathing for about 5 minutes, then slipped away when i stopped looking at it down there 2' below the surface. not sure if it was the same fish as the morning, surprised it was that tired...