Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing An(other) East Kootenay stream, September 2022  (Read 3323 times)

clarki

• Old Timer
Fishing An(other) East Kootenay stream, September 2022
« on: September 27, 2022, 02:41:30 PM »

https://idigbigcutts.blogspot.com/?m=1

It's long, probably too long, with a ton of pics.

It's also light on fly fishing details (names of bugs, fly names and sizes) and heavier on the story aspect of fish, fossils, rocks, a weird den, d!ck hunters, and my own personal learning moments.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Fishing An(other) East Kootenay stream, September 2022
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2022, 08:34:02 AM »

you are now catching some nice fish! The photo of the rock you thought may have been 'carved' looks to be natural to me. The unusual the star like shape around the dark center is likely quartz crystals that have formed in the rock around an imperfection in the surrounding country rock. This happens when rock strata are drawn far below the surface and subject to heat and pressure. You can see some other such lenses or specks in rock. As the rock came back to the surface it was weathered & broke off the strata. It looks rounded as if rolled in a stream bed for a bit. The den in the small cave or rock opening may have been used by a cougar. At least the cougars I saw penned in a small private zoo many years ago left cylindrical scat.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 10:51:00 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

coastangler

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2022, 02:53:30 PM »

Thanks for sharing! Another great post. Regarding the bull trout "incident",  I believe is not uncommon for bull trout in the Elk to attack cutthroat after they bite a dry fly, and sometimes (in rare cases) hook themselves up with the original fly. I was told by a local that it was the most likely way of catching a bull trout when fishing on dries vs them actually rising for a dry  :o
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 02:56:44 PM by coastangler »
"It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.”
Sir Edmund Hillary

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2022, 03:41:00 PM »

Good read, thanks!

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2022, 11:09:07 PM »

The photo of the rock you thought may have been 'carved' looks to be natural to me.
I haven't done much study in geology, so interesting to know that there may be a natural explanation for it. It seemed both too symmetrical and too simplistic for a natural cause but I 'm willing to have an open mind!

and sometimes (in rare cases) hook themselves up with the original fly.

Well, then wouldn't that be considered fishing illegally with bait? :)

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2022, 08:08:18 AM »

Great read Scott! Thanks for sharing.  :)