Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder Canal Red Springs  (Read 15951 times)

Chum Slayer

Vedder Canal Red Springs
« on: June 10, 2022, 01:58:42 PM »

I have fished the Vedder for salmon for a few years and typically stick to the mid river for red springs, however this year I was thinking of drifting roe in the canal or drifting prawns and jigs. have any of you done this before?

Thanks in advance Chum Slayer

Darko

• Old Timer
Re: Vedder Canal Red Springs
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2022, 02:04:25 PM »

I got out once last year, early august tho I believe most of the run had passed by then. I think the second to fourth week of june are the prime times. I was fishing by vedder campground and had no luck.
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2022, 04:14:54 PM »

I got out once last year, early august tho I believe most of the run had passed by then. I think the second to fourth week of june are the prime times. I was fishing by vedder campground and had no luck.
I'm guessing you meant July, not June.  The entire river is closed to angling in June.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2022, 04:46:26 PM »

I'm guessing you meant July, not June.  The entire river is closed to angling in June.

yes I meant july thanks for the correction

mikeyman

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2022, 07:02:23 AM »

Get ready for the gill nets in the canal. Good luck with the roe down there.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2022, 11:16:27 AM »

Get ready for the gill nets in the canal. Good luck with the roe down there.

Timely to bring this up.

Perhaps someone such as Rod has some up dates on how this FN fishery will be conducted this year?

last year the results weren't as hoped and I heard they may switch to another approach to harvest fish.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

colin6101

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2022, 01:07:04 PM »

Not sure how this year is looking but the lower canal can be pretty flooded from the Fraser until a little later in the summer.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2022, 12:42:21 PM »

I haven't been briefed, but most likely there will be a meeting in the second half of June before the fishery begins in early July.

The impact of this fishery by Sumas Nation is so insignificant, nobody should be suggesting that it'd interfere recreational fishing activities. The fishing is done by gill net, opening is four to five days a week by a team of two, from dusk to dawn. All of the fish captured were in July last year, a total of 53 chinook salmon were harvested.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2022, 02:05:28 PM »

I haven't been briefed, but most likely there will be a meeting in the second half of June before the fishery begins in early July.

The impact of this fishery by Sumas Nation is so insignificant, nobody should be suggesting that it'd interfere recreational fishing activities. The fishing is done by gill net, opening is four to five days a week by a team of two, from dusk to dawn. All of the fish captured were in July last year, a total of 53 chinook salmon were harvested.

Thanks for clarifying Rodney

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2022, 07:01:48 AM »

The impact of this fishery by Sumas Nation is so insignificant, nobody should be suggesting that it'd interfere recreational fishing activities

I think some are more concerned with the precedent being set and the possible green light for gill netting in the canal during the much larger fall salmon run when the river is much busier with recreational anglers.The summer chinook run is much smaller and has had less success with netting, but I am sure would do much better in the fall with the larger mass of fish passing through and with that higher success would come higher effort.

Everyone is trying to hold onto that smaller piece of the pie each year and it doesn't help with more and more closed waters and the change in regulations to "no fishing for salmon unless listed as open" that has concentrated everyone from being more spread out to only being on a few rivers, the vedder seeing the major majority of pressure and then add gill nets down low that for many decades have never been there

sbc hris

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2022, 03:16:11 PM »

With the heavy snowpack and slow melt this year, the canal will likely be in full flood mode for longer than most years, and most of July I would bet.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2022, 04:10:33 PM »

With the heavy snowpack and slow melt this year, the canal will likely be in full flood mode for longer than most years, and most of July I would bet.
That, plus I would imagine a tremendous amount of clay silt from the recent slides at Ranger Run will be washed into the river during the freshet.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2022, 05:24:28 PM »

Don’t need to use red chinook for food fish this year. Should get there food fish needs from sockeye this year.

I support some early ceremony fish taken but don’t see the need for food fish with all the other opportunities this year.

Just my two cents, not worth it imo

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2022, 10:09:55 PM »

Food, Social or Ceremonial, Chilliwack summer red chinook are all hatchery fish so there is no big deal.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

mikeyman

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2022, 10:06:17 PM »

What is the point of the effort if only 53 Chinook taken? Seem like a waste of time for how much controversy it creates.