Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Capilano Jack Coho  (Read 2200 times)

fishingIsCool

• Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth!
Capilano Jack Coho
« on: June 07, 2022, 11:25:52 AM »

Hi there,

I'm relatively new to the Capilano, as I have only been there once and I caught nothing. I know that there is some smaller coho in there right now, and I was thinking about heading there this weekend to fish cable pool in the morning. I have a spinning rod, with 10lb braid and a few spoons and spinners. Just wondering if anyone had any tips for the capilano. Thanks!  :)

fishingIsCool

Re: Capilano Jack Coho
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2022, 02:54:01 PM »

Also, could you drift roe on a spinning rod?

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2022, 04:54:21 PM »

Also, could you drift roe on a spinning rod?
yes you can there is no bait ban now
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2022, 04:55:20 PM »

Hi there,

I'm relatively new to the Capilano, as I have only been there once and I caught nothing. I know that there is some smaller coho in there right now, and I was thinking about heading there this weekend to fish cable pool in the morning. I have a spinning rod, with 10lb braid and a few spoons and spinners. Just wondering if anyone had any tips for the capilano. Thanks!  :)

if you track the dam releases on the hydrograph fish tend to swim up the river then because the water level increases
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2022, 09:42:02 AM »

Hi there,

My first tip is get away from Cable Pool. Most people gravitate to it, but that's precisely why you shouldn't :) When I fished the Cap, most of my fishing was downstream of the #1. Refer to a trail map of the Capilano River Regional Park and strike out (safely!) on your own.

My second tip echoes what Darko said. Particularly in mid summer when the river is low, a release of water from the dam can trigger the coho to push upstream. If there is a heavy mid summer rain, get your butt to the river at first light the next day in the lower river. I did that just once (on a July 2nd) and the fishing was lights out.                     

fishingIsCool

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2022, 10:24:18 AM »

Thanks, as for fishing techniques ill probably be using a spoon or spinner. I have a twitching jig but im not sure what is better

sumasriver

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2022, 11:15:48 AM »

Thanks, as for fishing techniques ill probably be using a spoon or spinner. I have a twitching jig but im not sure what is better

Best to keep switching up....  try spoon, spinner and jig.   Coho love all 3.    Clear day go small size... and lighter line....    I like to go color opposite of sky..  light day i go darker/brighter color...  buts that just my preference.       I like copper spoons / spinners  on North side flows....

stsfisher

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2022, 03:10:43 PM »

Well the cotton is flying so that can only mean one thing.