Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steelhead Utility Box Mural  (Read 2415 times)

Darko

• Old Timer
Steelhead Utility Box Mural
« on: April 25, 2022, 12:36:58 PM »

Hello everyone, recently in my graphic arts class a local Muralist for the city of Burnaby (Todd Polich) is giving us an opportunity to create artwork that will cover local utility boxes in the city. Much of the art he has done includes wildlife and serves as a way to spread awareness. I wanted to do mine focused on steelhead as I feel they are little known to the general public. Specifically, the Thompson River Steelhead Run that is now critically endangered. My plan was for the art to tell a story of the Steelheads' return back and all the dangers and predators they face along the way to spawn. Since its a box with 4 sides and a top, this was my plan. The first side (long) to show a school of steelhead in the ocean with predators such as orcas, sharks etc, then a view of pattulo bridge (shorter side) and them running through new west along with maybe seals, otters, sturgeon, fisherman whatever, 3rd side (long one) showing the treacherous climb through the rough and rocky fraser canyon, and finally the 4th to be just a couple of steelhead left in a spawning stream. Please feel free to leave any comments,ideas, etc.

Here is a link to his work
http://www.toddpolich.com/creative-works
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Steelhead Utility Box Mural
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2022, 06:06:22 PM »

sounds like a great idea! Hopefully you can share some of the work you do on it and the final result!
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2022, 07:38:16 PM »

Great idea, Darko. I really like how you are going to frame the story.

My only suggestion would be is to also illustrate the human impact, in addition to all the natural predators and hazards.  Perhaps in the New West frame include pollution/effluent or a commercial fishing boat with the net out.

I hope you will share the final product with us!

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2022, 09:20:15 PM »

sounds like a great idea! Hopefully you can share some of the work you do on it and the final result!
Will do!

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2022, 09:21:21 PM »

Great idea, Darko. I really like how you are going to frame the story.

My only suggestion would be is to also illustrate the human impact, in addition to all the natural predators and hazards.  Perhaps in the New West frame include pollution/effluent or a commercial fishing boat with the net out.

I hope you will share the final product with us!

I couldn't agree more, I will definitely add those to the list.

GordJ

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2022, 06:57:16 AM »

Just to be devils advocate, you’re going to present to Burnaby a box that highlights a fish that has no connection to Burnaby and include a bridge that isn’t even in Burnaby? If your customer is the City of Burnaby shouldn’t your product have a theme that is relevant to your customer and not just your “pet” project?
Your theme is very good if you’re selling the project to a fish and game club but maybe a “Restore Byrne Creek” might be better received. Just saying. And remember that I have never bought or sold art work, lol.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2022, 07:43:19 AM »

Just to be devils advocate, you’re going to present to Burnaby a box that highlights a fish that has no connection to Burnaby and include a bridge that isn’t even in Burnaby? If your customer is the City of Burnaby shouldn’t your product have a theme that is relevant to your customer and not just your “pet” project?
Your theme is very good if you’re selling the project to a fish and game club but maybe a “Restore Byrne Creek” might be better received. Just saying. And remember that I have never bought or sold art work, lol.

I do agree with you, I happen to be graduating from Byrne Creek community school named after the creek soo.. The only solution would be to do both  ;)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2022, 08:42:46 AM »

yes that is certainly something to consider.

Thompson steelhead migrate past Burnaby via the Fraser river 2x a year - in the fall when upriver bound adults move past and again in spring/early summer when outward bound smolts and some post spawn adults head the same way. Patullo Bridge could be replaced with another recognizable landmark that is in Burnaby on the river shore. Unfortunately I don't think there is a major river crossing from Burnaby. Perhaps the junction of Bryne Creek at the Foreshore Park is worth considering. I'd also point out that given this a project for a school project the city is likely not to get too hung up on some specific details.

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

GordJ

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2022, 09:10:44 AM »

Yeah, you’re probably right. Why would a graphics arts class be concerned with meeting the customers requirements? If they never use your designs it doesn’t matter as long as you have room to hang it at home.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2022, 09:30:16 AM »

Yeah, you’re probably right. Why would a graphics arts class be concerned with meeting the customers requirements? If they never use your designs it doesn’t matter as long as you have room to hang it at home.

I agreed you had a valid point and offered some suggestions. What else do you want? I guess your constructive critique is the only one possibly valid.

Have a great day GordJ!  ;D

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2022, 01:31:05 PM »

Would it make sense to have a couple of black bears in the Fraser canyon scene?

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2022, 05:48:51 PM »

While black bears are certainly endemic to the Fraser Canyon, I would pose a question back to you;

What is the story of Thompson steelhead are you trying to tell and how do bears in the scene contribute to that story?

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2022, 06:42:49 PM »

While black bears are certainly endemic to the Fraser Canyon, I would pose a question back to you;

What is the story of Thompson steelhead are you trying to tell and how do bears in the scene contribute to that story?
It's the details that matter in art. The project is meant to beautify the utility boxes and bring some life to the city. The spreading awareness part is more my love for fish and nature to include those details. There will be fishing boats with nets, fisherman on the banks, visible pollution from smoke and garbage are details I will include but some like climate change or hotter water resulting in less oxygen rich water is hard to add.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2022, 07:34:52 PM »

Sounds like you have your answer then!

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2022, 07:39:37 PM »

Sounds like you have your answer then!
yes, I just wasn't sure if black bears live in that area and couldn't find it on google but figured the fisherman might know  ;D