Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing From A Helicopter On The Fraser For OB  (Read 9284 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Fishing From A Helicopter On The Fraser For OB
« on: August 14, 2004, 05:54:28 PM »

Today was the Day I was to a ride along with Phil from the BC Fisheries Survival Coalition to see first hand what is going on with the FN  driftnet situation. It has been reported that some Fn fishers are fishing outside their opening times of, 5 am to 11pm and 5pm to11pm.

Also a reporter from the Sun or Province paper were going to come along for a story. That fell through so Phil tried to line up BCTV for the trip.

As he was busy trying to line BCTV up he sent Bob from the coalition along instead. Frank from the SDA was also aboard.

As Phil could not line up a BCTV crew he asked me to film it for them.

We left Hope Airport at 11:30 and travel up to a point 5 miles above Yale, Sawmill Creek and saw lots of set net activity, one wonders how a fish gets through this barrier.

Lots of chatter crackles in our head phones as the pilot points out mile posts on the river. I point out Hills Bar just below Yale where BC got its start in 1858 when large gold nuggets were found there.

We head back down towards Mission and see more nets and of course lots of anglers, a few wave at us and I wave back thinking some must be from this board. We count 137 set nets from the Hope Bridge to Sawmill ;D No sign of drift nets yet and as it was in the closed time between 11PM and 5Pm so they should not be out anyway, maybe obeying the law.

We set down on a bar just below the bridge and I interview a guide and his clients for there though about the situation. Able to film a sockeye being landed.

Frank gives me the story that I related in the Troubled Waters thread and his remarks are filmed for the record.

We take off again and head to Mission, more waving anglers, were you one of them?

We are travelling at 120mph in the 30 degree heat but all the concentration keeps my mind off the temprature.

We go down to the mouth of the Sumas and then turn around and head back, were is the drift nets we heard about?

Just before the Agassiz Bridge there it is, a long one with the boat holding 2 occupants.

As they see us they start to bring in the drifting net plucking sockeye from the nets web death grip, a far number. We set down on the bar for better footage and then once again lift off scattering a large flock of geese that did not like the whirling blades. Just above the bridge, a short one that the occupents let go of when they see us, and head downstream, the nets sinks, full of fish who knows.

We arrive back at the airport mission accomplished, I interview Bob for his take on the 2 hour flight and he gives a good interview for the lens. We have counted 319 nets plus 2 drift nets, lots of camps of FN and 100's of rec anglers.

What a boost for the local economy, as the guide Len told me in the interview, one million a day, no small change and of course this gives the most money per fish caught than a commercial or FN angler to the local shopes..

The journey just flew by and I then copy the tape and send with Bob to give to Phil to deliver to BCTV. It may or may not appear on tonights late news.
The day ends a interesting day to say the least but trying one for me and Yours Truly trying to build a story for TV.

Hope it makes the news but if not, information, big time was gathered for Operation Barbaque.

Very tired, time for a nap so sorry for the spelling and gramer errors, will attempt to correct later.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2004, 05:59:20 PM by chris gadsden »

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
Re:Fishing From A Helicopter On The Fraser For OB
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2004, 05:58:58 PM »

great report chris as always. nice of you to keep us informed. yep that was me and dragonspeed waving at ya. we were fishing laidlaw when you flew over. i got skunked like all the other times. had to leave early as the ole back was starting to give me problems. so a little r&r and i should be back on the river sun morn.

Viking_Fish_God

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2004, 08:10:11 PM »

Chris,
Are the 300 plus nets all the Cheam band?
Is there a end date to this test fishery?
Can the decision be reversed to stop there netting on the upper Fraser?
My mood is switching from anger >:( to grave concern :'( about being the next "Grand banks of newfoundland" with no fish.
Thanks for your hard work, we all benefit from it. :D

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2004, 08:34:27 PM »

i was there from 6am-1130 yep not many people or fish some of the fish had net marks all over them hopefully soon we will see some fresh ones comming up river ??? ??? ???

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2004, 08:55:56 PM »

Good read Chris

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2004, 10:28:51 PM »

Chris,
Are the 300 plus nets all the Cheam band?
Is there a end date to this test fishery?
Can the decision be reversed to stop there netting on the upper Fraser?
My mood is switching from anger >:( to grave concern :'( about being the next "Grand banks of newfoundland" with no fish.
Thanks for your hard work, we all benefit from it. :D
No they are not all Cheam. No end date for their end of fishing that I know of course Sockeye close from the area of the mouth of the Sumas down stream starting Monday I believe. I would think the closure for sockeye above the Sumas will come in effet in a week time.

Time will tell when FN will see their netting end but some of them fish right through even when the endangered Thompson and Interior coho are in the system which is and has been very sad.

You are right when you say there should be a concern for the stocks as if you saw the nets I saw today from the helicopter you would wonder how a single fish gets through.

The sad part it is hard to get people to write letters to the Fisheries Minister and a copy to us, people do not seem to see the seriousness of this and what is going on.

Of course there was lots of Rec fishers out today as well but they take such a small piece of the pie compared to the other users. Should try to count them from the copter's nose cone video which is close to 2 hours long a beautiful view of the canyon, areas I had never seen.

In most cases I feel it is all for money now, what you can get now and the heck with the future.

Very sad and upsetting to me, that is why I and a few others are directing all our energy on this file. I hope we get the support from others when we call for it.

As I keep saying our fish and our fishing future is hanging in the balance right now.
 :'( :(

Bantam_50

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2004, 11:35:15 PM »

319 nets....  These are set nets that are in the river for 24 hours at a time correct?  If that is true, let's pretend that each net can bring in an average of twenty fish in a 24 hour period.  So, by just pretending, that's 7656 fish caught per day by these 319 nets.  Let's say the nets have been out since August 1st.  Today is the 15th.  Fifteen days of netting, and we're talking about 114840 fish.  If there are 319 nets, we can presume that each net belongs to one family in what ever FN band... 360 fish per family.  So by eating turkey on christmas, and thanksgiving, ham or lamb for easter and giving up fish for lent, I can now see the rational that goes into DFO policies regarding "food" fisheries.  

So uh, why then do they get commercial fishing rights too?

::)

For 2004 here's what the FN have harvested out of the Fraser to date. It is split into Lower and Mid/Upper, with the boundry being Yale.

Lower:
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fraserriver/firstnations/FirstNationsFisheryReport.pdf

Mid/Upper:
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fraserriver/firstnations/UpperFraser/FNHarvestReport.pdf

redlad

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2004, 11:56:17 PM »

Wow.  Interesting stuff.  The only concern I have with rec fishery for Sockeye, which I have taken part in this year, is all that line and lead in the river.  Has anyone studied what effect it has on eco-system?  Just wondering - I think I may be developing a conscience.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2004, 11:57:30 PM »

Bantam_50 Thanks for those links but I donot think they are that accurant. Could someone tell me if I am wrong but for example we saw no FOC people on the river during our flight, so how can they be getting these numbers.

The SDA fellows at the meeting Thursday were told the catch data at the landing stations were beging tallied by FN people.

When asked for the names of the ones doing the counting they were told only one name and apparently that day 2 did not show up for work. ???

So how are they getting real hard data? Beyond me.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2004, 12:33:33 AM »

It's probably closer to the truth than we realize.  >:(

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2004, 10:48:40 AM »

Spoke with the fish counter at Peg yesterday and he said that FN had 60,000 fish left to catch in their allocation of 300,000 pieces!  Not sure if this is commercial/ceremonial & food or an allotment including both catagories...either way they are getting close to their quota and hopefully will be capped out soon.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2004, 12:35:49 PM »

Spoke with the fish counter at Peg yesterday and he said that FN had 60,000 fish left to catch in their allocation of 300,000 pieces!  Not sure if this is commercial/ceremonial & food or an allotment including both catagories...either way they are getting close to their quota and hopefully will be capped out soon.
Sorry but donot put any faith in these numbers as I have mentioned before. There is no quanity control at all out there. All the illegal drift netting going on at night, how are they counted? The fish counter you talked is just trying to pull the wool over your eyes as far as I am concerned.

I have asked for the landing stations and others have asked for the counters names. I have received no answer to my question and the other person was given one name.

I also have received no answer to my letter to Regan that I sent by e- mail and by land mail.

Politicans are great for trying to ignore you in hope you fade away.

I quess they have not heard about OB. ;D ;D

grandpa

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2004, 07:38:13 PM »

Suggest they probably tell DFO what they  feel DFO wants to hear . They are expert at that and have real poker faces

Bantam_50

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2004, 10:50:22 PM »

Sorry but donot put any faith in these numbers as I have mentioned before. There is no quanity control at all out there. All the illegal drift netting going on at night, how are they counted? The fish counter you talked is just trying to pull the wool over your eyes as far as I am concerned.

I have asked for the landing stations and others have asked for the counters names. I have received no answer to my question and the other person was given one name.

I also have received no answer to my letter to Regan that I sent by e- mail and by land mail.

Politicans are great for trying to ignore you in hope you fade away.

I quess they have not heard about OB. ;D ;D

Well Chris I post that link for everyones info and yes I to probably wonder how much more is actually needed to be tacked onto those totals.  How do we deal with the politics of the matter. OB would be a start. But it can't stop there.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2004, 05:25:41 AM »

And it will not stop if we are to be successful.

A couple of things I believe we have in our favour is the inaction of FOC to deal with these latest problems. IT has got a lot of people very concerned and upset. However more letters have to be written. It is improving somewhat as I have recieved 21 now that I have forwarded on to Bill.

The other is we have a minority Federal Government so they may be forced to act or be defeated if they make too many mistakes in this latest mandate.

I would have liked to see a change of parties in the last election if only for the fact they may have been willing to act on issues the current one seems unwilling to.