Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question about angling license  (Read 2686 times)

someone

Question about angling license
« on: November 03, 2021, 12:37:03 PM »

Hello everyone,

I am new resident in BC, came from Halifax NS and have heard wonderful opportunities about Salmon fishing here. I tried to read about the licensing and regulations. Tidal/non-tidal - I understand the boundaries by looking into google maps. I went online and I got my annual basic license and it asked whether I would like to get pacific salmon stamp and I said yes, got the stamp - printed it. And I went out for one trip to Chilliwack river and landed a hatchery coho - All good - so i thought.
I logged into my account again for the license thing as I would like to apply for my buddy as well so just wanted to walk him through the process - I notice that there is "Conservation Surcharge" and there was nothing showing under that title - I mean I didnt purchase any conservation surcharge and read a little about it through the "?" mark - I am confused - Should I get "non-tidal salmon conservation" if I were to keep salmon? what is pacific salmon stamp for?

I feel terrible

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Question about angling license
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2021, 12:41:35 PM »

Don't feel terrible for being confused, our licence system is not easy to interpret.

For the saltwater licence, the term "salmon stamp" is used.

For the freshwater licence, the term "salmon conservation surcharge" is used.

Both pretty much serve the same purpose, if you would like to retain salmon, in either salt or freshwater, you'd need to purchase the salmon stamp or conservation surcharge.

If you are fishing in the Chilliwack River, you need the freshwater fishing licence and the salmon conservation surcharge (assuming you want to keep those tasty hatchery coho salmon when you get one). ;)

someone

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2021, 12:51:35 PM »

Don't feel terrible for being confused, our licence system is not easy to interpret.

Both pretty much serve the same purpose, if you would like to retain salmon, in either salt or freshwater, you'd need to purchase the salmon stamp or conservation surcharge.

If you are fishing in the Chilliwack River, you need the freshwater fishing licence and the salmon conservation surcharge (assuming you want to keep those tasty hatchery coho salmon when you get one). ;)

Thanks for the quick reply, I was frantically searching the internet for answers.

So that makes sense, I purchased freshwater or non-tidal basic annual license as I would like to fish rivers and lakes. I also bought Saltwater or Tidal license and got pacific salmon stamp thinking that it applies everywhere. I wont be fishing tidal portion as i learned about the closures and how chum and sockeye are affected.

So since I fish the freshwater or non-tidal I should also get salmon conservation stamp? Is that right?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2021, 12:53:15 PM »

Yep that is correct, if you would like to keep salmon when it is allowed.

Roderick

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2021, 12:57:07 PM »

... Rodney is too fast for me lol

Just go back to the provincial website and add on the non-tidal salmon surcharge and reprint your licence. 
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 01:05:32 PM by Roderick »
You shoulda been here yesterday.

someone

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2021, 01:36:09 PM »

Yep that is correct, if you would like to keep salmon when it is allowed.

Thank you so much Rodney !

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2021, 07:27:34 PM »

Welcome Haligonian. I moved here in 1976 from the south shore NS and was blown away by the fishing, The salmon fishing will give you a lot of pleasurable hours. Look at the trout fishery in the interior area and enjoy those feisty and tasty salmonids and char, You can fish pretty much year round. Get your license fixed and get out there! ( you might consider going to a tackle store and have them help you get it sorted)
http://

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2021, 08:54:44 PM »

A few weeks ago, we saw a guy talking to DFO at Fishermans corner. Apparently he bought a license that morning but forgot to buy the salmon tag, and retained a coho. $150(?) fine, I think

License checks are pretty common, so not having the right tag is going to be easily discovered... Glad the OP got it straightened out.

edit:

Never noticed this, but both the DFO tidal and BC gov non-tidal websites call it a "Salmon Conservation Stamp". The DFO page says the funds go to the PSF, do the non-tidal stamp funds go to the same?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 09:10:29 PM by DanL »

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2021, 09:04:54 PM »

A few weeks ago, we saw a guy talking to DFO at Fishermans corner. Apparently he bought a license that morning but forgot to buy the salmon tag, and retained a coho. $150(?) fine, I think

License checks are pretty common, so not having the right tag is going to be easily discovered... Glad the OP got it straightened out.

license checks are so common that I have yet to be checked  :) 8)
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2021, 02:03:50 PM »

edit:
Never noticed this, but both the DFO tidal and BC gov non-tidal websites call it a "Salmon Conservation Stamp". The DFO page says the funds go to the PSF, do the non-tidal stamp funds go to the same?

100% of your conservation surcharge fees directly benefit fish conservation.

The Habitat Conservation Trust Foundation receives 100% of the surcharge revenue collected from angling licence sales to provide grants for fish conservation projects across B.C..

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2021, 07:35:50 PM »

Which is why I keep buying a steelhead stamp every year even though I haven't fished for them in a long time. It's kind of a win-win situation. You feel good about where the money goes and the fish benefit from it.
Not to mention that on the odd chance that one decides to hit the flow in the spur of the moment, you don't need to scramble  to make a last minute stamp purchase.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2021, 10:22:32 AM »

The Habitat Conservation Trust Foundation receives 100% of the surcharge revenue collected from angling licence sales to provide grants for fish conservation projects across B.C..

all license revenues from BC Non-tidal licenses go to fund the FFSBC and/or the Habitat Conservation Trust Fund. Hunters, trappers and Guide ourfitter fees also go directly to the HCTF.  Their website; https://hctf.ca/about/

As DanL said the DFO license salmon stamp surcharge fees do go to the PSF
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.