Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bar fishing tomorrow  (Read 6473 times)

96XJ

Re: Bar fishing tomorrow
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2021, 09:10:02 AM »

My Dad was a staple down at Brownsville , i grew up up the hill from there , his picture was in the local paper one week when they had an article about fishing there , i didn't fish much back then , i was usually up way to late to get up to fish ... , different priorities back then i guess

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2021, 01:48:28 PM »

My Dad was a staple down at Brownsville , i grew up up the hill from there , his picture was in the local paper one week when they had an article about fishing there , i didn't fish much back then , i was usually up way to late to get up to fish ... , different priorities back then i guess
Nice! Same with my old man. They probally knew each other.  He was in the Surrey Leader. The article was entitled 50 yrs fishing the Fraser. I have it framed and it sits on my mantle.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 03:27:32 PM by Wiseguy »

96XJ

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2021, 10:19:42 AM »

Ya i'm sure they would have known each other , my Dad was in either the Now or the Leader , my Mom has the pic in a frame , those were good days , fishing for early jack springs with salted roe , everyone in lawn chairs watching the odd sturgeon jump and bs'ing

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2021, 11:29:24 AM »

This must be some kind of bad joke.
Nov 4th and we are waiting for an opening.

The fish are gone upstream already.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2021, 12:18:10 PM »

I have just been told that this opening is not going to happen until November 15th.

A lot will be discussed at the post-season meeting I'm sure.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2021, 12:38:15 PM »

I have just been told that this opening is not going to happen until November 15th.

Thanks for keeping us up to date Rodney.
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

VictorBai

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2021, 12:46:02 PM »

Thanks for the update Rodney. I can stop checking for update several times a day until Nov 15th.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2021, 01:01:10 PM »

Nov 15th corresponds to the trout closure in the Fraser above Mission. The Province put this in place to stop people from trout fishing when their real target was salmon or steelhead. Frustrating given that below Mission trout are open and hatchery fish can be retained.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2021, 02:56:41 PM »

If I live in the area and still want to fish the Tidal Fraser River for salmon then I'd be a lot more vocal about this, but I am pretty content with what I have in my backyard now. The reality is that there's basically no one advocating for this lost fishery by coming up with compromised solutions to make an opening work, so I'm at the point that if it opens, great, if not, I'm not missing it and it's good news for the fish.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2021, 03:20:42 PM »

DFO style of fish management. Wait til the fish have moved through and then open it for retention. Wouldn't surprise me if they open the Fraser for sockeye retention Dec. 1 til May 31 ;)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2021, 03:55:54 PM »

oh so then if it's good news for the fish then this sport fishery isn't as low impact as some anglers would have us believe?

I seem to remember 2 years ago I got a lot of grief when I said we can't advocate for closures to protect IFS and then protest this closure because "bar fishing has little or no impact on IFS".

Managing these fisheries with 3 distinct user groups, particularly when 1 group has both constitutional and legal priority access to the resource, is messy and we make it more so. The current low return of chum is being heralded as perhaps the worst collapse in returns in it's history. It's not. Not by a long shot.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2021, 05:03:59 PM »

oh so then if it's good news for the fish then this sport fishery isn't as low impact as some anglers would have us believe?

I seem to remember 2 years ago I got a lot of grief when I said we can't advocate for closures to protect IFS and then protest this closure because "bar fishing has little or no impact on IFS".

Managing these fisheries with 3 distinct user groups, particularly when 1 group has both constitutional and legal priority access to the resource, is messy and we make it more so. The current low return of chum is being heralded as perhaps the worst collapse in returns in it's history. It's not. Not by a long shot.

How Much is from hatcheries tho,

Are we talking wild chum vs wild chum or are we talking hatchery chum now vs wild chum then.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 06:15:44 PM by wildmanyeah »

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2021, 06:32:17 PM »

Do you guys think it will be worth it to try after the opening on the 15th? Aprrox what % of the fish would have already passed?
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

jackster

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2021, 06:36:22 PM »

Do you guys think it will be worth it to try after the opening on the 15th? Aprrox what % of the fish would have already passed?

If you aint fishin, you ain't livin

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2021, 06:46:06 PM »

How Much is from hatcheries tho,

Are we talking wild chum vs wild chum or are we talking hatchery chum now vs wild chum then.

According to the Fraser river Action Plan Group report published by Fisheries and Oceans in 1996, total mean chum returns to the Fraser pretty much doubled between 1983  (pre-enhancement which was mostly via hatcheries) and 1993  from about 630k to 1.226 million. Of course in hind sight we know a good part of this had to do with ocean survival rates. Returns actually exceeded 3 million after 1993 with close to 3 million being returns to the Harrison River in one year. Currently returns to that river appear dismal.