Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2021 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 77278 times)

bobby b

Yup.... Cap is off the chart..looks dangerous....I'll bet Vedder is prob choco milk and full of debris ... so much for fishing today! Hopefully tomorrow ...

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

River dropped back down to 1.9m this morning at the crossing, fishable, but on the rise slowly again.

New video on float fishing setups for pink salmon. This one is more for newcomers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwPPPn7cEHc

coastangler

Hit the river early this AM to enjoy one last weekend of pinks on the fly. Water was a bit dirty but not terrible - still on the greenish side and not a lot of clay/chocolate milk colour to it. Once I found the right water speed with pinks on it, I caught 4. Most of them were turned already so didn't keep any. Saw a few guys catching springs on roe.
"It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.”
Sir Edmund Hillary

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

River conditions were looking good tonight with plenty of visibility and a bit of brown tint to it. We covered several runs with surprisingly no one around on a Sunday afternoon. Three of the runs didn't produce anything, but Nina managed to hook three chinook jacks in the last run while my float top stayed dry (except the rain drops) the entire time.... This should be a great week ahead of us.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

Plenty of movement along the river today. Water clarity was excellent, and chinooks salmon are on the move throughout the day.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

Casting into the sunset for the last light bite.

Conditions remain excellent.

Vancouver_2010

Hitting the river up early tomorrow. Will likely spend some time exploring, but just wondering how widely distributed the fish are right now? Are people having much luck above the crossing?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

Not a whole lot of fish moving about today. We spent a good four hours bouncing between spots without much success before coming home at 2:00pm. I popped out again at 5:00pm and this time the fishing was better.

Phronesis

Not a whole lot of fish moving about today. We spent a good four hours bouncing between spots without much success before coming home at 2:00pm. I popped out again at 5:00pm and this time the fishing was better.

Nice spring !

Two weeks ago, I was fishing in vedder canal away from closely packed spot to a not-so-close spot - I noticed a lot of dead pinks (close to 9 or 10 ) not so colored fish, flowing away. They definitely didnt spawn but I think they died because of careless handling or fighting the fish for too long. I realized I may have unknowningly killed some too - even though I handled the fish in water and didnt fight it for too long, how would i know that those fish I released made it to spawning? - guess there is no way to know.

essyoo

Is there anything you're doing different with your presentation to target springs? I have yet to catch one in the vedder and I'd love to get into some this season. From what I understand it's looking for the deeper pockets but is that it?

sbc hris

Is there anything you're doing different with your presentation to target springs? I have yet to catch one in the vedder and I'd love to get into some this season. From what I understand it's looking for the deeper pockets but is that it?
Deeper, and faster water. They like some current flow, sometimes quite a bit. They're suckers for roe. Beads and colorado spinners work good too.

DanTfisherman

"Two weeks ago, I was fishing in vedder canal away from closely packed spot to a not-so-close spot - I noticed a lot of dead pinks (close to 9 or 10 ) not so colored fish, flowing away. They definitely didnt spawn but I think they died because of careless handling or fighting the fish for too long. I realized I may have unknowningly killed some too - even though I handled the fish in water and didnt fight it for too long, how would i know that those fish I released made it to spawning? - guess there is no way to know."

This is a tough one with no good answer.
I did very well on the lower system with the fly rod this year.
The majority of my fish were caught once the drift ended and I retrieved the fly back to the boat.
I was surprised by the number of fish that came, and when I would play them close to the boat and get ready to land them, significant blood was coming out of their mouth and gills.
Where in good shape, I kept a few of these fish to eat.
But, I noticed the pinks this year seemed to be quite aggressive and some of the fish had the hooks down pretty deep, and in those cases where bleeding quite a bit, had taken the hook in the tongue down deeper in their throat.
All when released (but one) swam away aggressively and full of energy.
My guess is some of them did not make it.

By looking at your time frame, we were likely in the same area on the same weekend.

Dan

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

time to use circle hooks Dan!
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Phronesis

"Two weeks ago, I was fishing in vedder canal away from closely packed spot to a not-so-close spot - I noticed a lot of dead pinks (close to 9 or 10 ) not so colored fish, flowing away. They definitely didnt spawn but I think they died because of careless handling or fighting the fish for too long. I realized I may have unknowningly killed some too - even though I handled the fish in water and didnt fight it for too long, how would i know that those fish I released made it to spawning? - guess there is no way to know."

This is a tough one with no good answer.
I did very well on the lower system with the fly rod this year.
The majority of my fish were caught once the drift ended and I retrieved the fly back to the boat.
I was surprised by the number of fish that came, and when I would play them close to the boat and get ready to land them, significant blood was coming out of their mouth and gills.
Where in good shape, I kept a few of these fish to eat.
But, I noticed the pinks this year seemed to be quite aggressive and some of the fish had the hooks down pretty deep, and in those cases where bleeding quite a bit, had taken the hook in the tongue down deeper in their throat.
All when released (but one) swam away aggressively and full of energy.
My guess is some of them did not make it.

By looking at your time frame, we were likely in the same area on the same weekend.

Dan

Yea, there were lot of pinks easily caught this year. This was my first year fishing for pink salmon so im basically a newbie. I caught quite a few and released all of them except one chrome pink which didnt color at all, i had to double check the fin and spots on the back to ID, also accidentally snagged 3-4 fish in total but changed my setup or moved away from the spot if it happened more than once.

I have noticed that some pinks stage anywhere near the banks to spawn, that is anywhere throughout the river system, i thought they would travel all the way up, is that so?

jackster

All foul hooked fish die.