Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: An update from Tunkwa Lake Resort  (Read 2981 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
An update from Tunkwa Lake Resort
« on: August 18, 2021, 06:14:06 PM »

We hope everyone has been doing well through these unsettled times. Thanks to all for dropping notes of support and care, they are very much appreciated by all of us. ❤️

I received a phone call late last night from the supervisor of the crews out at Tunkwa. He wanted us to know first hand what was going on out at Tunkwa. Information on these fires has been sparse. He and his crew appreciated all the resort had done to help and support them while out there, it helped them to stay close and protect properties around the lakes. He was very genuine and at times teary sounding talking about it, they had worked a 48 hour shift during the fire attack, protecting the Tunkwa community.

The fire was intense, it was a class 6, the worst kind. It came in from the south, where the private cabins are. They borrowed our boats, quads and a side by side to access them. From there, it went towards the resort on the south end, where they confronted it head on and held it back from the site. At almost the same time an intense fire came in from the North end, Cabin 7A area.  This area was drenched with over 50,000 gallons of water to stop the fire there. The large Siskorky helicopter was used, dropping lake water as needed. He said this fire was really bad, and normally they would have backed off, but they went above and beyond to save things. The protection measures put in place held and worked. They did the very best they could and we are so grateful, and thankful for all their extra efforts protecting things.

The power is still out as many of the hydro poles on Tunkwa Lake Road were burnt down, with the dead wires are all over the roads. We still do not know when we can get back into the resort to survey things, so please bear with us until then.

We expect things are going to look different there, parts of  the landscape in the area will change, as the fire engulfed a lot of the area. We suspect we will have work ahead of us doing clean up and repairs.

We are still evacuated from Logan Lake, but things are looking good in town, and we should be able to get back there soon.

We will update everyone as we find out more, thanks again for your continued support. We are all looking forward to being able to get back to the lake! 😊

Al and Lori
Tunkwa Lake Resort

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
Re: An update from Tunkwa Lake Resort
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2021, 08:12:28 PM »

Tough summer for a lot of folks in the interior :/ Hope they get back on their feet quickly!

Snagly

Sounds like heroic efforts saved Tunkwa area
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2021, 10:51:48 PM »

Those fire dogs are awesome people. Sounds like they put it all on the line to hold back the flames. Hope them trouts appreciate the effort expended when clients are back on the lake dunking chironimids in a couple of weeks!

Fingers crossed!
"One and done" to limit our impact on wild steelhead

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2021, 07:55:01 PM »

any word on the provincial campground if it survived  ?

Birkenhead

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2021, 02:54:56 PM »

any word on the provincial campground if it survived  ?

All things considered, Tunkwa Provincial Park survived remarkably well. However, apparent fire damage on the Leighton Lake side, with some campsites burned, corral fencing burned etc.

EDIT
There were some private cabins on the other side of the lake that were lost.
This info came from a person who was permitted into the park a couple of days ago. However, I now see that info has since been retracted.

Big thanks and appreciation to the BC Wildfire Service and all others involved who pulled off the almost impossible to save the park and the resort.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 12:39:48 PM by Birkenhead »

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2021, 09:31:09 PM »

Would those be the ones among the ones along Bloodworm bay? Thats unfortunate

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2021, 10:40:49 AM »

I'm not sure where you received that information but I've been told by those who were just in there assessing the damages that is not correct.

Here is another update from the resort.

This week we were given the permit to access the resort for the day, so we could check on everything. The power and phone lines are still down, they will be restoring these in the coming week. We will be in touch with guests who have been affected by the evacuation as soon as we get back to the office. It will take awhile but everyone will be contacted so please bear with us.

Once again, we cannot express enough how thankful we are for all the work and effort the fire crews have done to help us! This resort would not be standing right now if it wasn't for them. Here are some photographs to show how everything looks around the resort.

Unfortunately, the fire crews could not save all of the resort, a few of our annuals were lost by the fire. This is very bittersweet for us.

We are currently waiting for the evacuation order to be lifted, then we will be able to tell you when re-opening is.

See you soon!

Al and Lori

Birkenhead

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2021, 12:36:00 PM »

I'm not sure where you received that information but I've been told by those who were just in there assessing the damages that is not correct.

That info came from another person who was permitted into the park a couple of days ago. However, I now see that info has since been retracted.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2021, 03:09:05 PM »

The resort is now open again. Power has been restored but they still don't have a land line so if you would like to head up to stay for a few nights, email info@tunkwalakeresort.com. They'll need all the support from the community in the months to come after this summer.