Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My Amazing, incredibly lucky fishing trip!  (Read 1911 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
My Amazing, incredibly lucky fishing trip!
« on: February 23, 2021, 01:23:56 PM »

Never had a fishing trip like this before. I didn't catch a fish but it was topped off by a incredible stroke of luck, or maybe it was karma or second sight.

I got to the river. I had taken one rod for steelhead. Opening the back of SUV, my heart sank when I saw I had forgotten my waders. It's bushy little stream without much space for bank fishing but I could think of a few spots to try so rather than drive straight home I gave it a go. The first location worked ok and I could cover most of the run. Then it was onto spot 2.

I was feeling sort of  bad now. The water was in beautiful shape, clear, at a good height and so far not another angler, just a few dog walkers. If only I hadn't left the waders at home!

Spot 2 has been pretty good to me and it looked perfect. The trail on the top of a high bank follows the run, usually shallow it looked like a good piece of it could hold fish but alas only the top can be fished from the bank. I scrambled down the bank.

The first cast went fine so I moved upstream a few steps. Now I was under a large tree. Can you guess what happens?

Next Cast I reach too high and the fly is in the branches and the leader is wrapped around another. I have to break it off. I point the tip, pull and the branches with lots of spring makes me lean back. The fly line breaks! The leader is 12lbs! What? But much worse, the top rod section has pulled away from the rod and is sliding down the broken length of fly line hanging from the tree. It drops in to the water and disappears.

There is nothing I can do so I reel up what's left of the line and scramble back up to the trail and start the walk to my car. I look at the water. Something silver and shiny bobs in the riffle, heading quickly down stream with the current. I think it is maybe the top 6 inches of the rod piece.

When I get back the car I think maybe I should go back and look. There are a few spots where I could reach the bank. Even if the chances are so slim I can at least do some sort of search.

Again down the bank under a large cedar is the tail out of a pool that's been good to me at times. After fishing it from the far bank I cross the tail out back to the trail. While it's about 100 yards downstream of where I lost the rod tip, it's the first place to look.

I peer into the water. There, perhaps 10 or 15 feet from the water's edge, the top of my rod rests on some water logged woody debris. I can see the green blank and silver loop guides of my lost rod section! I'm astonished and almost can't believe it! I tear off some clothing and in I go up about my knees and I can stick my arm in and pick up. It's apparently no worse for wear!

Triumphantly I go back to my car and slide it it into rod bag with the other pieces and put it all back in the tube, ring out my socks, my pants and head home feeling luckier than I think I have have ever felt after such a short days fishing.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 09:16:43 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
Re: My Amazing, incredibly lucky fishing trip!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 05:07:41 PM »

Now that was a successfull day afterall. :)

santefe

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2021, 08:27:50 PM »

What a good read...

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2021, 09:05:23 PM »

Cool story, Ralph. Glad you got your rod section back!

Snagly

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2021, 10:10:12 PM »

A great outcome and well-told!
"One and done" to limit our impact on wild steelhead