Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New (to me) 12’ Lund - what to buy for it?  (Read 2032 times)

sassygrams

New (to me) 12’ Lund - what to buy for it?
« on: February 16, 2021, 10:00:10 AM »

I’m very excited.  After all these years of fishing, this is the 1st year I own a small boat.  It’s a little older, but appears to be in good shape.  Some things I need to do and would appreciate any input, tips or recommendations you may have on:

- painting the interior

- need a motor, I think a 9.9

- need a trolling motor

I generally use a float boat or a rental when I go to a fishing lodge with a friend so if I haven’t mentioned, I’m beyond excited.  I have a lot to learn but this will make fishing a little more comfortable for me - the float boat is getting hard on the knees and back.  Thank you for any advice or comments. 
"Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration." - Izaac Walton

DanL

• Old Timer
Re: New (to me) 12’ Lund - what to buy for it?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2021, 11:03:02 AM »

Boaters Safety Card *(Legal requirement)
PFDs *
Oars *
Boating Safety kit *
Swivel seats and Cushions
Bail Bucket, hand pump, sponge, or something to remove water
Carpeting or floor mats
Rod holders
Anchoring system
Depth Sounder/Fish Finder

For outboard, generally get the max the boat is rated for, or the biggest you are willing to lug around.

blueback

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2021, 11:47:05 AM »

I own a 12 ft Lund as well; great boat. I use a Minn Kota electric trolling motor for the 'no gas motor' lakes and a 15hp Johnson for the Fraser or larger lakes. Yup; it's great to have your own boat!! BTW- this boat flies with a 15hp.

DanTfisherman

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2021, 01:17:36 PM »

You need to include a few more things on types of fishing you plan on doing, where, when, how, etc.
Lakes vs Rivers?
Fly rod vs drift rod?
Winter vs Summer?
Transport on roof or on trailer?
Spend a lot or spend on a budget?

I have a 12 foot Valco.
I fish rivers, both large and small, lakes, both locally and in the interior, and all seasons of the year, with both fly rods and drift rods.

I tend to spend on a budget, but get high quality, versatile, reliable accessories.

1.  Scotty anchor locks and the posts to set them in all four corners of the boat.  When anchoring, double anchor from opposite corners.  You can place anchors in corners of your choice depending who you are fishing with and preference.  If in future you get scotty rod holders, in whatever scotty anchor mount is not being used, you can put the rod holder in.

2.  Two pyramid anchors, one being 18-20 lbs for the front, and one being 15 lbs for the rear.  I have two pyramids around the 15lb mark and from time to time, my boat in extremely windy conditions will get blown off my anchored mark, or drag anchor.  Look for the thicker diameter good anchor rope.  I think mine is 5/8th of an inch and have proper eye spliced thimbles which I like.  Use rectangular cat sand buckets with holes drilled in the bottom to hold your anchor lines.

3.  Round scotty anchor post and a heavier anchor to be set up in the bow of your boat in the middle.  Anchor of 25lbs?  This way, when single anchoring close to shore or in current in a river, the boat will track and you can cast and fish from boat in a stable environment.  I have been able to hold my boat at the mouth of the Harrison with a 17 lb, but heavier would be nicer.

4.  Motor is dependant upon your fishing.  If only a few applications and keeping to lakes and fishing with one other, maybe look at a good 8 hp for good weight to speed ratio.  If needing a versatile system for many applications, go with the max HP rating possible.  In my case, my boat is rated for a 15hp and that is what I use.  It is a hassle to move and lug the thing around, so if your do not need it for rivers or big lakes, get a smaller motor long term.  Look for a 12 litre tank for room and thus cycle gas through more often and keep it fresher.

5.  Get a Minn Kota 40 lb thrust.  This is probably the best motor in thrust for the price.  I have the older Maxxix style, but I can use this motor to manouever my Valco (bigger than yours) in the Harrison, Vedder, and larger lakes (with time and patience).  Spend a bit more and get a pulse mode motor to extend the life of your battery.  Depending on my activity, I can mount my Minn Kota to the left or right side of my bigger 15 hp.  It is tight, but doable.  I go for extended periods of time and rely on two Costco type 27 batteries and a 40 watt solar panel in the summer.

6.  A good sounder on a budget.  For me, it is a Garmin Stryker 4 which is non permanent and versitile.  I for the longest time did not have a sounder, but the longer I have it, the more useful I find it, and not just "finding fish".  Most recent reason was tracking my route in the river in extremely thick fog relying on my past plotted chart.

7.  I do not use seats, and rely on the bench seats.  I find while comfortable, seats in the long run take up room, add more clutter, and are hassles.  I find in manoevering around in the boat, seats can get in the way.  When landing a fish, seats can get in the way,  when casting fly lines, seats can get in the way.  No seats to date for me.

8.  A good purpose long handled net for landing fish.  I am partial to Moby nets.  I have two and depending what species I go after, it is either the Osprey or the Coho in the boat.  I have landed 10-12 lb coho in my Osprey with no issues.  If it was a do everything net, I would likely look at a Moby Whale and I would look at a mesh over a rubber.

9.  Rubber anti-fatigue mats to stand on between the seats.  This will muffle sound in the boat, this will make it comfortable to stand on in the day, this will prevent the floor from being slippery, this will prevent cleated boots from wrecking your aluminum floor.  it is reasonably priced and easy to roll up and pack away.  You do not have to worry about it getting wet and retaining water.

Will leave it at that for now.  Kinda a lot there.
If you give more specifics unique to your needs, it will help guide what items would be best for you.

Dano

sassygrams

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2021, 02:04:41 PM »

;D This is fantastic information.  OH my, have lots to consider and now have a starting point to research.  Thank you.
"Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration." - Izaac Walton

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2021, 04:29:35 PM »

I disagree with DanT on the seats.
I highly recommend them and will save your back,big time.
When your ready to purchase your anchor rope,send me a message as i sell it and is very good rope for a very good price.

A jug for bailing and peeing in is free and very important piece of equipment.
I also like to have a chunk of sponge in the boat for getting that last bit of water out of the transom area of the boat on overnight or multi day trips.

Welcome to the boat world. :)

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2021, 05:11:30 PM »

If you do decide to have seats in the boat,do not use the clamp mount type.
I personally know of a couple people who went swimming because of the clamp slipping.
Get the Wise swivel mounts and you can pop the seat in or out in seconds and they stay there.
Slider rails are nice as well but probably less important in a 12 foot boat.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2021, 10:14:15 PM »

Wait a minute... You're not a new member... ;) Welcome back Louise. Can you believe that it has been 15 years since you joined the forum?

sassygrams

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2021, 08:16:55 AM »

Rodney, I had no idea it's been that long.  Wow!  Thank you for developing this site and bringing us all together. 

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2021, 02:15:52 PM »

Rodney, I had no idea it's been that long.  Wow!  Thank you for developing this site and bringing us all together.

:D