Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: BCWF Supports Pinniped Harvests in BC  (Read 6106 times)

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
BCWF Supports Pinniped Harvests in BC
« on: January 19, 2021, 12:45:12 PM »

December 2, 2020
The Honourable Bernadette Jordan, P.C., M.P.
Minister of Fisheries, Oceans and the Canadian Coast Guard
200 Kent Street
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0E6

Dear Minister Jordan,

I write you today to make you aware of BCWF’s position regarding proposed control pinniped populations in B.C. In short, the BCWF supports controlled harvest of pinniped’s along B.C.’s coast because there is currently an imbalance between pinnipeds and their prey, namely wild salmon, herring, and other fish stocks of concern.

There is now good science available to give some insight about what has happened to the pinniped populations in B.C. and how these out-of-control populations are affecting many species of fish. Amongst several other scientists, Dr. Carl Walters of the University of British Columbia has produced studies that show that Steller Sea Lions alone consume over 1,000,000 Fraser River sockeye.

Seals are also of great concern. Their population has also expanded wildly in the last 50 years. Though the seals consume far less from a total consumption perspective, seals are calculated to consume over 40% of chinook and coho smolts in the Salish Sea (Gulf of Georgia). In some river systems, it is estimated that seals can consume up to 85% of outbound salmon smolts. With predation levels this high, when these smolts are just heading out to sea, it is hardly surprising that some rivers get any more than a handful of adult fish returning at the end of their life cycle.

The BCWF also recognizes that ocean survival is problematic but there is little opportunity to influence this overriding issue. Controlling numbers of predators of endangered fish stocks is something that your department can control. For example, there are currently IFMP proposals submitted to your ministry for a managed harvest of pinnipeds here in B.C. These proposals are backed by science, would help save these precious fish stocks, would help increase food abundance for the endangered Southern Resident Killer Whales and other species, and would provide employment opportunities for fishers in many coastal communities.

These are all positive steps that could happen with approval of these IFMPs by your ministry. Pinniped removal in rivers in the USA Pacific Northwest indicate immediate, positive effects on returning fish populations.

Though we realize that a harvest of pinnipeds may be controversial in some segments of society, we urge your ministry to approve a managed pinniped harvest in BC.

We hope that you, as Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, have the courage to make this difficult decision and support the managed harvest of pinnipeds in B.C. The future of endangered fish stocks in B.C. is in your hands.

Yours in conservation,

Bill Bosch
President
B.C. Wildlife Federation
101-9706 188th St, Surrey, BC V4N 3M2 | T: 604-882-9988 TF: 1-888-881-2293 F: 604-882-9933 | www.bcwf.bc.ca

Posted with permission...
Nog

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: BCWF Supports Pinniped Harvests in BC
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2021, 01:37:43 PM »

Wasn't it the BCWF that pushed for a kill fishery on Skeena steelhead?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2021, 02:39:44 PM »

Wasn't it the BCWF that pushed for a kill fishery on Skeena steelhead?

yes
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

chief

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2021, 06:47:18 PM »

I retired to Parksville almost 3 years ago and fish the beaches and rivers  in the area for salmon and cutties. IMO we have a huge over population of sea lions and seals at French Creek Marina , Little and Big Q, Englishman, Nile Creek etc. all of which have hatcheries. Any of these systems are worth implementing a test cull  to record the effect on returning salmon & steelhead and outbound fry + smolts versus a neighboring system . The Little Q would be a good place to start . Seals in particular in that area are very smart and aggressive and have no fear whatsoever of anglers

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2021, 07:58:53 AM »

A trial or experimental cull was done on the Courtney - Puntledge system spanning 2 years about 20 years ago. There was no evidence it had any effect . Of a number of other measures tried the only one that worked was turning the street lights off on the Condensory Road Bridge however the city would not endorse this as a permanent measure.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2021, 09:37:43 AM »

That's why these harvest groups are not asking for a select harvest at pinch points but instead asking to kill thousands to reduce the entire population.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2021, 09:43:02 AM »

That's why these harvest groups are not asking for a select harvest at pinch points but instead asking to kill thousands to reduce the entire population.
And that's why this is not going to happen.  Wmy, I keep asking for the data regarding toxicity of these pinnipeds, with no response ... have you heard anthing wrt this?  Surely the public would be more receptive to a harvest if the meat was of some valu.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2021, 09:44:51 AM »

Here's some hope, not for harvest but for deterrence:https://www.bellinghamherald.com/news/local/article247424320.html

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2021, 09:53:14 AM »

I too have my doubts, what we have seen the ENGO groups do to fish farming and the lobbying power of that, I just can't see a harvests of any scale that would help salmon being approved.

I have not heard anything about the toxicity reports although i don't believe it will be a significant roadblock.

The roadblock on a large scale harvest will be the Ottawa and the PMO. I just don't think it will happen in today's left leaning/Acidemia climate that a large scale hunt will happen.

First Nations are already approved to hunt seals on this cost and they simply are not. I seen the most ironic thing on facebook the other day. Someone asked Sweid how come he was not hunting seals but promoting it. His response was being his band had not approved or applied for a permit. That's pretty freaking ironic if you ask me. 

« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 10:03:18 AM by wildmanyeah »

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2021, 10:03:11 AM »

The Puntledge experiment initially had rather promising effects. However recruitment was reasonably swift in that other seals moved in to replace the ones removed. Had the experiment continued, the results would have most likely been quite similar to those realized south of the border.

Washington State Fish and Wildlife published a paper last summer indicating that the sea lions in the Columbia River consume between3 to 5 returning adult chinook/day. A cull program is now if effect on the Columbia, with 2300 sea lions removed to date.

Winter steelhead stocks at the Williamette Falls fish ways were down to < 750 three years ago and last year registered > 2500, indicating that the removals are working positively towards bringing an almost extinct stock back.

Dave: I have told you here and elsewhere that the results of contaminant testing will be released once the program has been completed and the results tabulated. You keep pestering requesting information that has not been collated from an ongoing project. You are not involved in any way shape nor form, and as such, simply are not privy to the program status nor the raw data collected to date. Most with any understanding of how research proceeds would readily understand that. There will eventually be results for all to see down the road. Patience is a virtue, try and afford yourself some.

While WMY protests that the FN's are not already engaged, he speaks with zero understanding of the matter, relying on FaceBook mutterings to support his thoughts. I suggest caution in that approach.

Directly to you WMY: I warned you on another Forum regarding your insinuations over the BCWF letter. I am only going to do so again this last time. I have the original copy in my hands, as does our Board, the Fed itself, and of course those it was addressed to. You want to verify any of that, feel free to contact Bill Bosch yourself. The number is listed on the letter. In the meantime, I strongly suggest you cease your rhetoric in this regard. Period.

Cheers,
Nog

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2021, 10:05:21 AM »

Directly to you WMY: I warned you on another Forum regarding your insinuations over the BCWF letter. I am only going to do so again this last time. I have the original copy in my hands, as does our Board, the Fed itself, and of course those it was addressed to. You want to verify any of that, feel free to contact Bill Bosch yourself. The number is listed on the letter. In the meantime, I strongly suggest you cease your rhetoric in this regard. Period.

Cheers,
Nog

I am not saying the letter is fake im just questioning how much the BCWF is in support of a cull that they do not share the letter on social media or on there website. Surly the fact that the BCWF is in support of a harvest is something that should be widely shared with its membership base?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 10:08:09 AM by wildmanyeah »

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2021, 10:06:51 AM »

I am not saying the letter is fake im just questioning how much the BCWF is in support of a cull that they do not share the letter on social media or on there website.

Take it up with them. They support a HARVEST, rather than your suggested "cull".

Really.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2021, 10:11:51 AM »

Dave: I have told you here and elsewhere that the results of contaminant testing will be released once the program has been completed and the results tabulated. You keep pestering requesting information that has not been collated from an ongoing project. You are not involved in any way shape nor form, and as such, simply are not privy to the program status nor the raw data collected to date. Most with any understanding of how research proceeds would readily understand that. There will eventually be results for all to see down the road. Patience is a virtue, try and afford yourself some.

Cheers,
Nog

it seems pretty reasonable to ask about such information if there is already a request to approve an IFMP.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 10:23:55 AM by wildmanyeah »

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2021, 12:03:25 PM »

Dave: I have told you here and elsewhere that the results of contaminant testing will be released once the program has been completed and the results tabulated. You keep pestering requesting information that has not been collated from an ongoing project. You are not involved in any way shape nor form, and as such, simply are not privy to the program status nor the raw data collected to date. Most with any understanding of how research proceeds would readily understand that. There will eventually be results for all to see down the road. Patience is a virtue, try and afford yourself
OK, fair enough, the data is not in. So perhaps you can tell us about the sampling protocols ... who is doing the sampling, how many animals to date, who is measuring the contaminants?  Don't you think this should have been completed before people started advocating for this harvest?
If it turns out these animals are unfit for even pet consumption your project has been a waste of time, imo.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2021, 12:07:47 PM »

OK, fair enough, the data is not in.

Once again, and I will not repeat for your benefit again:

You are not involved in any way shape nor form, and as such, simply are not privy to the program status nor the raw data collected to date.

Cheers,
Nog