Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rod Suggestions for Vintage "Winona" Reel  (Read 3799 times)

CohoJake

• Old Timer
Rod Suggestions for Vintage "Winona" Reel
« on: January 12, 2021, 11:08:34 AM »

This summer my dad mentioned to me that my grandfather used to fish for steelhead with a Heddon Winona reel, so I set out to find one.  I got one nearly identical to this picture:

I'm wondering what type of rod to pair it with.  For those who are unfamiliar, it is a "sidewinder" type reel - the spool is mounted so it lays flat against the rod from the center of the spool.  I don't think trigger-handle rods will work.  I'm thinking of trying to find an old solid fiberglass rod to re-build, but I'm not sure where to start.

Also, does anyone on here remember using or seeing one used?  It isn't clear to me exactly how to cast with one, although I assume it is done similar to other center pin reels.

I'm thinking of using it for trolling for sockeye in Baker Lake or bar fishing for pinks (from a boat), so I want a really soft fiberglass rod anyway.

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: Rod Suggestions for Vintage "Winona" Reel
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 02:31:03 PM »

I remember those, use it like a centerpin.  I would think a vintage Fenwick glass 1262, brown blank of course, would work nicely  :D

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 09:08:22 AM »

I remember those, use it like a centerpin.  I would think a vintage Fenwick glass 1262, brown blank of course, would work nicely  :D
Aren't those almost impossible to find?  :D

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2021, 11:45:05 AM »

Aren't those almost impossible to find?  :D
yeah, kinda like a Winona  ;)

stsfisher

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2021, 01:03:16 PM »

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8kI9YYBwLC/?igshid=8hzdlg7mwi7n

I use my sage 3113lb. I have turned the reel seat so it sits more modern c-pin style and removed the cage as it seemed to get in the way. Fun way to fish if you enjoy the challenge.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2021, 01:29:49 PM »

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8kI9YYBwLC/?igshid=8hzdlg7mwi7n

I use my sage 3113lb. I have turned the reel seat so it sits more modern c-pin style and removed the cage as it seemed to get in the way. Fun way to fish if you enjoy the challenge.
Interesting that you removed the cage but kept the line guide - I have seen the opposite frequently.  Part of my plan is to keep it cheap - that was one reason my grandpa loved the Winona reels - they were relatively cheap.  The one I found was only $30. 

Turning the reel seat makes sense.  If I build/rebuild a rod I think I'll set it up like this.

stsfisher

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2021, 04:52:18 PM »

I found the line guide helps from line spinning off of the drum. I know most will ask why take the cage off then.
I found line falls off the drum much easier than a modern c pin and would rap into the cage, making it difficult to un wrap from its grasp.
Alot of cursing and swearing to get where it is currently comfortable. I received mine as a gift with one promise to fish it. So I found a way to fish it. I only drag it out for steelhead, as I like to fish "old school"

stsfisher

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2021, 04:55:09 PM »

I will add the reel sits on the side of the rod and not the underside, which is another reason for the line guide staying .

jim

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2021, 08:10:54 AM »

I guess it was back in the 80's that I saw and talked briefly with Vi Lillos. spelling? I think her and husband both used them. Her name is on a couple trophies at Chilliwack Fish and Game Club.
Lower part of the Vedder. Ya, hers sat on top of the rod, used her thumb on the spool edge.
I have a fiberglass 1264 Fenwick if you want it. 9" butt.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2021, 10:33:17 AM »

I have a fiberglass 1264 Fenwick if you want it. 9" butt.
If the border wasn't closed I might jump on that.  It now doubt it will be open before October.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2021, 08:05:30 PM »

what about the peace arch park - couldn't we just go there and throw stuff over the line to each other?

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-peace-arch-border-park-brings-canadians-americans-together-despite/