Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steelhead Voices Square This  (Read 2417 times)

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
Steelhead Voices Square This
« on: November 24, 2020, 12:09:16 PM »

Looking  back on the DFO approach to Interior Fraser Steelhead “recovery” how can anybody with any knowledge of fisheries science and DFO’s history with respect to steelhead possibly be anaesthetized to the wastefulness and utter failure of consultative processes new wave “managers” are incapable of putting into any context? Ask them when an additional Interior Fraser Steelhead ever reached its spawning grounds as a result of any of those boardroom undertakings? How about if DFO spare us the frustration and anxiety inherent in participation in processes that don’t pass the red face test among the fading demographic that can hold their feet to the fire? Do as my friend suggests and just have the jam to step to the podium and admit DFO has no intention of conserving Interior Fraser Steelhead. Just tell it like it is and spare the vast majority of Interior Fraser Steelhead advocates death by a thousand cuts.

http://steelheadvoices.com/?p=2262&fbclid=IwAR0CneUGRHqDmRsiy1Y47Zlmxo7jA3EkQExpRPlvsMp8KtcEUd0cRqs84Ec

spoiler

Re: Steelhead Voices Square This
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2020, 09:15:34 AM »

As long as DFO bends to the will of their political masters nothing will change.
Our buddy Justin is hell bent on reconciliation with the F/N's so that is how our west coast fisheries will be regulated.
you can throw up all the scientific evidence you want but until something changes with our federal leadership nothing will change.

capman

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2020, 10:47:04 AM »

The question is, how much almost $1.1 billion gets injected into the BC economy by rec fishing worth to the federal government? If there are other factors that most of us are aware of bringing them more money, the feds will have a closed eye on everything that is going on in our fishery. facts and science become secondary and that is what frustrates all of us as citizens of this great country.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2020, 03:48:50 PM »

As long as DFO bends to the will of their political masters nothing will change.
Our buddy Justin is hell bent on reconciliation with the F/N's so that is how our west coast fisheries will be regulated.
you can throw up all the scientific evidence you want but until something changes with our federal leadership nothing will change.

federal leadership will change nothing. you really think any conservative leader is going to give a cupcakes about a few steelhead. dont hold your breath. if conservatives had it their way their would have been a northern gateway pipe line through some of the most remote places of this province. we would be talking about a hole bunch of new environmental and habit destruction issues in the skeena region.

with the amount of current issues facing this nation, salmon and steelhead will take a back seat to many other issues. liberal, conservative it does not matter. the only people who fight for these fish are people that have a connection to them. the average joe working 10 hours a day does not have enough time to keep up with all the issues at hand let alone any fisheries issues. 

what we need is sustainable harvesting practices from all sectors. i believe thats why they are trying to move in fraser fisheries to some of the tributaries of the lower fraser. a pinniped cull would help as well i think.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2020, 05:11:56 PM »

the last Conservative Government and it's PM were a disaster for salmon, steelhead and for fish resources in general. One of the first things they did was repeal all the protective environmental laws.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

spoiler

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2020, 06:10:34 AM »

I'm not saying a Conservative government would do any better I'm just saying as long as our fisheries is being managed by politics that nothing will change.
I'm really don't know what it will take to create change.