Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New video: Chum salmon, underrated and undervalued  (Read 8021 times)

Knnn

• Old Timer
Re: New video: Chum salmon, underrated and undervalued
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2020, 09:17:07 AM »

Excellent and informative video.  Thank you for covering this topic.

I have always thought the same, and cannot understand why they are so underrated when they are relatively easy to catch and put up a very strong fight.  An excellent beginners fish.

I wonder if the prejudice against this fish is entirely due to the perception of the value of the meat?  Because of the commercial harvesting to obtain the eggs, the flesh is, as you mentioned, sold off as pet food.  I have often heard the expression, "I would not even feed my pet dog chum salmon".  This may have resulted in the perception that this is all the meat is good for.  Also many angles catch other salmon such as sockeye, coho and early springs which have a very pleasing colour, while chum flesh is very pale in comparison.  As a consequence, anglers are spoiled for choice and will tend to reject and may look down on Chum because of the other species.

When I started fishing in the lower mainland about 7 years ago, the perception that Chum meat is not as good as other salmon was pervasive and I never thought to try one.  Then one year I caught a fresh chum and coho on the same day and decided to have a back to back comparison with both fish served at a diner with guests.  I was surprised at how good the relatively mild flavour of the chum was and even more surprised when 5 out of the 8 guest mentioned how much they enjoyed the chum in preference over the coho.  The chum was prepare with a mayo, dill and lemon dressing.

Is the perception of lesser meat quality also why this fish appears to be abused most often and badly?  So often you see chum dragged up onto a rocky shoreline, unhooked, photographed and finally kicked back into the water.  It makes my blood boil.  I recognize it could be out of fear, due to the size of the fish and those very prominent gnashers.  However, even without a net they are relatively easy to tail in shin deep water and slip out a barbless hook, so there is no reason ever to need to beech a fish, unless you have decided to keep it.

Respect da Chum! 

Thanks again Rod.

fisherforever

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2020, 10:24:48 AM »

I see Chilliwack Dart & Tackle just got shipment of Bentrods Dog Pounder chum jigs in today

bobby b

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2020, 11:06:14 AM »

Chum is good eating. Don't know why it is considered sub par.
 Most folks say ' good for the smoker' as if thats the only use for it?
Admittedly they do colour up fast but as long as they are not old boots, like any salmon I guess, I don't see the problem of retaining for the table.

We had Chum nuggets last night...delicious!! Chum fillets deboned and cut into nugget size pieces, battered with a seasoned batter and deep fried.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2020, 12:55:46 PM »

Absolutely respect the Chum, but I don't know anyone that would take a Chum over a Coho.
Respectfully, I could batter and deep fry my shoe and it would taste great.  ;D

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2020, 12:57:31 PM »

I love a clean Chum. I would prefer a clean Chum over a river caught white spring or a Pink any day of the week. The last Chum I retained was from the Harrison. Dime bright. I took it home and made 16 salmon burgers out of it. All vac sealed and ready to go. They make the BEST salmon burgers. They're very mild and will take on any flavor added to them.

The males are better eating too. Plus you get more flesh.

My recipe is simple for a whole Chum I use
1 bunch of dill chopped up
1 diced red onion
1 bag of spinach ( cooked, strained and chopped )
2 eggs
1/2 cup of Almond flour. ( can use regular flour)
Salt abd pepper to taste

I then add the diced up Chum salmon and add to my mixer. Mix it all up so the salmon is slightly Chunky. Press in to burgers and cook on the BBQ. I like to use a lemon mayo too on the bun
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 01:03:10 PM by Hike_and_fish »

Dubs604

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2020, 01:05:55 PM »

I love fishing for chum.  I made this chum salmon jerky with my dehydrator.  This was a Stave River male that was a bit coloured up, but with a nice, white belly.  The final product was delicious and I'll be making more soon. 

Recipe:

-Couple pounds of salmon, deboned and cut into strips 1/2 inch thick and 2-3 inches long
-1/2 cup soy sauce
-1 tbsp lime or lemon juice
-2 tbsp brown sugar
-2 tsp black pepper
-2 tsp liquid smoke
-1/2 tsp garlic powder
-1/2 tsp sea salt
-1 tbsp honey
-1 tbsp sriracha

Marinade strips of salmon overnight, then drain and pat the fish with paper towel. 7-9 hours in the dehydrator at around 150F.

https://imgur.com/lQYtk3P
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 01:08:15 PM by Dubs604 »

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2020, 01:09:08 PM »

If you have a full freezer of sockeye, chinook and coho why would you care about chum?

If chum are the only option suddenly they become the preferred fish.

4x4

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2020, 01:12:52 PM »

Most folks say good for the smoker' as if thats the only use for it?
Admittedly they do colour up fast but as long as they are not old boots, like any salmon I guess, I don't see the problem of retaining for the table.

We had Chum nuggets last night...delicious!! Chum fillets deboned and cut into nugget size pieces, battered with a seasoned batter and deep fried.

We've been eating Chum this way our whole lives.
I'm picky with all Salmon. Cleaned, gutted and on ice right after I catch them. Makes a big difference with the quality of the meat.

I hate that saying only good for the smoker. Why would anybody want to smoke a subpar quality fish or anything else. I enjoy smoked Salmon because we only smoke good salmon.
 Trying to hide lousy fish with smoking isn't going to enhance your eating pleasure. I'm sure there are many here that would disagree.

I love a clean Chum. I would prefer a clean Chum over a river caught white spring or a Pink any day of the week. The last Chum I retained was from the Harrison. Dime bright. I took it home and made 16 salmon burgers out of it. All vac sealed and ready to go. They make the BEST salmon burgers. They're very mild and will take on any flavor added to them.

The males are better eating too. Plus you get more flesh.

My recipe is simple for a whole Chum I use
1 bunch of dill chopped up
1 diced red onion
1 bag of spinach ( cooked, strained and chopped )
2 eggs
1/2 cup of Almond flour. ( can use regular flour)
Salt abd pepper to taste

I then add the diced up Chum salmon and add to my mixer. Mix it all up so the salmon is slightly Chunky. Press in to burgers and cook on the BBQ. I like to use a lemon mayo too on the bun

Thx for the recipe will try it out for sure.

Roderick

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2020, 02:17:14 PM »

For burgers, I have tried coho, spring, and chum.  The consensus around here is that the chums make the best burgers.

I keep it very simple. 

Fillet and remove skin and pin bones.
Either mince with a chefs knife or through the grinder
Salt, pepper, and fresh sage (chopped leaves and flowers) from the garden (or dry rubbed is fine too)
Press patties, coat lightly with flour, and shallow fry in sunflower oil
Serve on a toasted bun with ketchup and mayo, fresh onion, and maybe a slice of tomato

I usually skip the fries and have two burgers instead.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 02:20:25 PM by Roderick »
You shoulda been here yesterday.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2020, 02:45:48 PM »

I would love to see more chum enhancement on the Chilliwack-Vedder, and on most other coastal streams. Saturate the upper river's off channel areas with fry and do eyed egg plants, with the goal being self sustaining future runs to the upper portions of the Chilliwack river.

Send out 5 million fed fry from the Chilliwack River hatchery every year.  The carcasses, eggs and fry produced will provide nutrients and food to resident fish and birds, angling opportunities, and a food source for gulls, eagles and bears. 

Really, these fish are the building blocks of coastal watersheds - so many other species depend on them surely we can better than we are in managing these fish.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2020, 02:50:32 PM »

I would love to see more chum enhancement on the Chilliwack-Vedder, and on most other coastal streams. Saturate the upper river's off channel areas with fry and do eyed egg plants, with the goal being self sustaining future runs to the upper portions of the Chilliwack river.

How do we make this happen Dave? I know we talked about this briefly last year when we went for that walk, but what is limiting us from doing that/pushing for it? Financial constraint? Something the current biologists do not wish for? Logistic issues?

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2020, 02:56:32 PM »

How do we make this happen Dave? I know we talked about this briefly last year when we went for that walk, but what is limiting us from doing that/pushing for it? Financial constraint? Something the current biologists do not wish for? Logistic issues?
Wish I knew Rod.  As you know I have been pushing for this for years, with no results.
One thing I learned as a technician was it was always best to plant the idea, cultivate it, and be happy when someone else (your boss) takes the credit.  Senior management needs to be onboard.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2020, 04:12:41 PM »

Most folks say ' good for the smoker' as if thats the only use for it?

100% agree. My daughter is picky eater, but she likes chum fish and chips better than coho or chinook. Chum meat is less firm and very mild fish flavor. that might be the reason young kids accept it

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2020, 04:40:46 PM »

Took a bright 10 to 12 pound fresh run chum buck today, thought it was a steelhead for a moment, Took it on a jig that the Master tied for me. It is like the one in the video I filmed last week with him.