Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Barbed wire at Wilson Rd Chilliwack. Homeowners block dyke access to fishermen.  (Read 11356 times)

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.

Just saw this. Barbed wire at Wilson Rd Chilliwack. Homeowners block dyke access to fishermen.

A notice requesting people to clean up after themselves wasn't even tried. Everyone I know cleans up after themselves..

And Barbed wire? Seriously?? Way to ugly up the beautiful outdoors...

Bingbamboom

So the barbed wire is what’s ugly, not the mounds of garbage, toilet paper and human feaces in the trees. I doubt a sign pointing out the obvious would have resolved the garbage issue. My friends and I always cart out garbage that belongs to us, and the garbage of the others who don’t respect the environment they are in. I completely understand why the land owners did what they needed to do to protect the rivers from irresponsible people. I’m so sad it had to come to this.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 07:21:46 PM by Bingbamboom »

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.

So the barbed wire is what’s ugly, not the mounds of garbage, toilet paper and human fenced in the trees. I doubt a sign pointing out the obvious would have resolved the garbage issue. My friends and I always cart out garbage that belongs to us, and the garbage of the others who don’t respect the environment they are in. I completely understand why the land owners did what they needed to do to protect the rivers from irresponsible people. I’m so sad it had to come to this.

You may "doubt" a sign would have worked but fact it is it was not tried.

It's been my experience if you put a sign to clean up on the vedder  - people do make the effort. There seems to have been no attempt to post any signage or communicate before going to this extreme at Wilson rd.

And yup. Barbed wire is brutal. It's used in prisons and death camps. It's used only in the most impossible situations. A bunch of homeowners upset about garbage and then going full on nuclear at the first chance is serious overkill.

Also - is it even legal? That's a public dyke or a private one. Who paid for it.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 05:39:05 PM by dennisK »

Wiseguy

• Old Timer

No surprise at all. 40-60 vehicles parked at Wilson road everyday this Salmon season. Fisherman leaving garbage all over the area and even defecating on private property. They got fed up with it and are now taking a stand.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.

No surprise at all. 40-60 vehicles parked at Wilson road everyday this Salmon season. Fisherman leaving garbage all over the area and even defecating on private property. They got fed up with it and are now taking a stand.

1) is it legal?
2) barbed wire people. what sort of sicko uses barbed wire? it's deigned to cut flesh. you know..hurt people. Littering is not a death penalty.
3) did they even try to set up signs and talk before going nuclear?

Look. I came to Canada as an immigrant a long time ago. My Canada does not settle problems littering problems unilaterally with barbed wire. That's Soviet style. Talk to the city. Go thru steps typical of a democracy.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 06:57:21 PM by dennisK »

roeman

Seriously.....
The owners should have put up a sign first to explain to loosers to pick up their garbage..
Are you fishin or catchin

hammer

Is dyke not public access through dyke authority.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season

GordJ

So the barbed wire is what’s ugly, not the mounds of garbage, toilet paper and human feaces in the trees. I doubt a sign pointing out the obvious would have resolved the garbage issue. My friends and I always cart out garbage that belongs to us, and the garbage of the others who don’t respect the environment they are in. I completely understand why the land owners did what they needed to do to protect the rivers from irresponsible people. I’m so sad it had to come to this.
There’s no like button so I have to quote you. 👍

bj23

Just saw this. Barbed wire at Wilson Rd Chilliwack. Homeowners block dyke access to fishermen.

A notice requesting people to clean up after themselves wasn't even tried. Everyone I know cleans up after themselves..
Do you and your friends need a formal notice to wipe your own asses? 
And Barbed wire? Seriously?? Way to ugly up the beautiful outdoors...

Morty

There’s no like button so I have to quote you. 👍

The "Public Access" section on page 2 seems to indicate that the pictured barrier is not legal.
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

Wiseguy

• Old Timer

1) is it legal?
2) barbed wire people. what sort of sicko uses barbed wire? it's deigned to cut flesh. you know..hurt people. Littering is not a death penalty.
3) did they even try to set up signs and talk before going nuclear?

1-Call the city of Chilliwack and ask.    2-Only if you try and cross the fence.    3-Signs ?!?! LOL

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season

If I'm seeing it right, the home owners put the barb wire past the natural boundary line and are in violation of the Land Act of BC and if they're going post a "No Trespassing" sign along the dyke, it should be endorsed by the district authority or city of Chilliwack.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer

This river is a joke. The Schity of Chilliwack is a joke. Access to this river over the past 10 year has been a joke. For a system that is hatchery enhanced for the purpose of fishing i am surprised river access hasn't been improved. Just a joke all across the board. I feel sorry for the bank fishermen out there. To stand shoulder to shoulder with 9ther fishermen must be difficult.

sugartooth

This river is a joke. The Schity of Chilliwack is a joke. Access to this river over the past 10 year has been a joke. For a system that is hatchery enhanced for the purpose of fishing i am surprised river access hasn't been improved. Just a joke all across the board. I feel sorry for the bank fishermen out there. To stand shoulder to shoulder with 9ther fishermen must be difficult.

This property is not in the district of chilliwack. It is part of the fvrd.
The city of chilliwack ends just past the vedder crossing. The city of chilliwack has provided excellent access to the river via the rotary trail system.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 11:25:52 PM by sugartooth »