Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: B.C. Southern Interior Stream fishing  (Read 4361 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
B.C. Southern Interior Stream fishing
« on: September 23, 2020, 08:32:31 AM »

Last week I fished a few streams in the Grand Forks and Fernie Sparwood area. Our trip came close to being smoked out and of 9 days we had maybe 2 with some limited visibility. A planned day in a boat on Christina Lake was cancelled due to lack of visibility. The beautiful mountains around Fernie were mostly obscured.

The fishing was pretty good. The amount of available water and the lack of anglers amazes me. Around Grand Forks I spent 2 days out encountering maybe 2 anglers the first day. Not a one the 2nd. Stream levels were very low, a contrast to last year at nearly the same time when they were higher. Hatches were sporadic and most of my luck was on soft hackles  and some fish taking a Royal Wulff.

Here's a photo of a typical Kettle Watershed rainbow:

It is beautifully marked and in splendid condition. If you look closely you can see the fly just below the hinge of the jaw. These fish are so vigorous, often jumping several times and even a 12 incher runs line off the reel.

At the end of that day I encountered a fish rising in water no deeper than 3 ft to a sporadic hatch of large mayflies. After 3 of 4 refusals it took the fly in a lazy head and tail rise and immediately vaulted into the air. A number of similar jumps followed;

I taped this fish at 18 inches. In superb condition, I guess it at 2lbs or better. Not my best from this area as some years back I landed one about 3 lbs. Larger fish are present. Last year I hooked & lost  3 fish that I never saw and suspected they were in the 3 to 4 lb range.

One thing I have learned about fish in the Kettle Valley watershed is that they congregate at the head of deep pools often created where swift water pushes against sheer rock or roadside rip rap. If hatches take place they move up into the riffles above the pool. Otherwise they can be caught on wet flies and small streamers from the inflow at the head of the pool.

After GF we moved on to Fernie. I fished the Elk 2 days and 1 afternoon on Michel creek east of Sparwood. The Elk was spotty though I took fish each day it wasn't stellar. The first day many people were drifting the river and I encountered another bank angler. He did only slightly better than me. The next day I didn't see a single angler. A #8 wooly bugger got me my fish the first day and small dried in the evening got me a couple on the 2nd. These were my first Westslope cutthroat.

In between those days I drove to Michel Creek and enjoyed fishing a hatch of some very small bugs (like a #18). I took some very nice cutties. This one was fairly typical:

What a little football! All the Michel Creek fish were in this condition. While westslopes don't match rainbows for fight and stamina they seem to be superb dry fly fish focusing  on hatches and required all my skills to hook.

Fernie is a great little town with some good restaurants & shops. The Fernie Brewing Company makes great craft beer and ale and if you are inclined the local distillery offers tasting and some superb craft cocktails!

Our last day we drove up Fernie Park road to Island Lake Lodge. They have many km of hiking trails there so enjoyed a modest walk of about an hour beside the lake and through the Red Cedar forest. Then we had lunch at the lodge bistro. It was delicious.

Our trip also included a bit of wine tasting detours on both the drive up and back including a stop at our long time favourite Seven Stones. Owner & Winemaker George Hanson offers true vintage wines from his cellar  for a not unreasonable price ($25 to $40) considering the quality. https://www.sevenstones.ca

Vanessa Winery right across the Highway is also a worthwhile stop.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 11:12:26 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

ja

Re: B.C. Southern Interior Stream fishing
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2020, 01:40:16 PM »

Sounds like a great trip! Thanks for the report.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2020, 06:49:43 AM »

Sounds like a great trip to me.
Thanks for the report.

stsfisher

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2020, 07:25:14 AM »

Looks like a great trip. Good balance of fishing and other activities to keep everyone happy.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2020, 04:38:07 PM »

Awesome! What a time to get out of the Fraser Valley for a getaway. Feeling a tad jealous very happy for you :-X

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2020, 11:24:56 AM »

Thanks for the report. Congrats on your first Westslope, and that Michel Crk fish is a chunker!

There are fishing trips where you push hard. There are others, like yours, that are well rounded. I like them both, but I like the second better.   

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2020, 02:31:21 PM »

Gee RalphH,  I didn't see this report until now.  What an awesome trip descriptions with fish pictures, hiking trails, wineries and brewery.  Thanks for sharing.
Have you ever tried to replace that little piece of plastic Hardy Logo on your Golden Prince?
It ain't the roe bro'

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2020, 09:40:22 PM »

Gee RalphH,  I didn't see this report until now.  What an awesome trip descriptions with fish pictures, hiking trails, wineries and brewery.  Thanks for sharing.
Have you ever tried to replace that little piece of plastic Hardy Logo on your Golden Prince?

Thanks. Yes I looked into it. The reel is about 35 years old and the first few years caused me nothing but grief. The plastic logo, a cheap little plastic thing was just glued on & fell off after a year or 2. I took it in to Ruddicks @ Canada Way (they'd replaced the spindle a couple of times after it seized) and basically they said they couldn't quote a price but could order it and I'd likely pay a price well beyond what it would have cost on production models. It served no function beyond cosmetic. Hardy changed the spec on the spindle and spindle #3 has been fine for 30 years.

You helped me get a right giggle I say - maybe 10 years ago used Golden Prince reels fetched around $70 to $100 on ebay while the spools were about $50. I had a look this evening - now they are hundreds even several hundred dollars for 'vintage'. That was the last Hardy reel I bought. There are so many better for much less money. There's a sucker born every minute. These days the bait is 'vintage'. LOL!
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2020, 01:24:19 PM »

Some really beautiful fish! 

I can't fly fish rivers... my backcast isn't so hot :D