Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing Made Easy  (Read 1802 times)

clarki

• Old Timer
Fishing Made Easy
« on: September 09, 2020, 03:21:55 PM »

Over the long weekend, my wife and I downsized our bookshelves. She's a bigger pack rat than I am, but there are a number of fishing books I've have had since I was a teen that I'm going to part with. I spent hours pouring over these books as a kid and they definitely shaped my development as an angler. Back in the late 70's and early 80's, these books inspired me and mentored me.           

One such book is "Fishing Made Easy" by Arthur L Cone Jr, published in 1968. The author writes on page 81:

"The five Pacific salmon species, of which the Cohoe, or sliver salmon, and the chinook, or king salmon are top game fish, are really salt-water rather than fresh-water species. Nobody except someone who likes rotting fish will bother with them in freshwater."

Good thing I didn't listen to Mr. Cone! :)           

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Fishing Made Easy
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2020, 05:58:07 PM »

Not the first time I have heard that & Cone was not the first to say it. In some respects the fishery is kind of managed that way; today's " demonstration" bar fishery being a good example.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

sbc hris

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2020, 03:17:51 PM »

I have that book! Found it in a used book store when I was a kid  ;D

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2020, 03:59:31 PM »

I have that book! Found it in a used book store when I was a kid  ;D
Hah!  My copy will be at the local Salvation Army thrift store in the near future if you want a second!