Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Outfitting my new Spratley  (Read 1753 times)

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
Outfitting my new Spratley
« on: August 20, 2020, 12:43:00 PM »

So I just spend some money and bought myself a new 12 foot spratley.  I am now working on getting a trailer, electric motor, fish finder, life jackets and all the other jazz that goes along with it.

I am trying to keep my eye open for deals.   What does everyone like for a fish finder.   Anyone have one they want to upgrade.. I am only using it in lakes so I really don't think I need anything super cutting edge. 

I am going to pick up a boat trailer...  and a endura max... also looking for a gas motor but really trying to find something reliable. 

Any tips are appreciated...
see ya on the river

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
Re: Outfitting my new Spratley
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2020, 02:20:08 PM »

My 2 cents would be to keep that Jon boat off a trailer if possible. Youll have access to even more lakes without a trailer. As far as the sonar goes, I assume yourr fly fishing so anything that reads depth is fine IMO.  Ive mounted my Chartplotter and small battery on my Boat Tote. The transducer is mounted on the back of the Boat Tote so everything is easily mounted on the jon boat. If you could find a Boat Tote, BUY ONE !

IMG-20200731-100648-894" border="0
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 02:22:05 PM by Hike_and_fish »

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2020, 02:58:48 PM »

Unfortunately I need to put it on a boat trailer.  My fishing vehicle is a jeep yj... I don't think I can fit everything in jeep and toss the boat ontop of the jeep.

I figure if put it on a boat trailer I can keep the motor on the boat also.. have a cooler, life jackets and oars in the boat while driving...
see ya on the river

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2020, 03:35:21 PM »

Unfortunately I need to put it on a boat trailer.  My fishing vehicle is a jeep yj... I don't think I can fit everything in jeep and toss the boat ontop of the jeep.

I figure if put it on a boat trailer I can keep the motor on the boat also.. have a cooler, life jackets and oars in the boat while driving...

Before placing the boat on the trailer I would take the trailer to a spring shop and upgrade the suspension. Trust me, you'll eventually want to take it down a road less traveled one day.

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2020, 01:59:03 PM »

Yes,  Going to take it easy at first but if I notice problems on the easier roads I will spring for springs... I will strap the spratley down nice and tight to minimize issues
see ya on the river

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2020, 06:54:47 AM »

Have you found a fish finder yet ? I have one you may be interested in.